Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Random Vista Crashes - atimkdag.sys Message

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 InterestinglyAverage

InterestinglyAverage

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:30 AM

Posted 05 January 2009 - 02:47 PM

I am posting this in the Vista setion because I have not been able to isolate any hardware component that is likely to be the cause of the issue, and am looking for some advice on how I can proceed to correct this problem.

The issue I am having is that my computer display will go blank for several seconds and display the message "Video driver atimkdag.sys has crashed and recovered", or it will go blank and come back several times before going to a blue screen of death. I have searched for information about this error message, but although I have seen many posts from people who have the issue, I have not seen any fixes. The problem seems to occur regardless of what programs are running. The problem does seem to occur mostly when I have two monitors connected. That is the only commonality that I have found so far.

My system configuration:
Enermax Galaxy DXX EGX850EWL 850W power supply
Intel Pentium D 945 3.2 Ghz Dual Core Processor
Intel 945 PSN Motherboard
2x 1Gb 5200 RAM (paired)
2x 512Mb 5200 RAM (paired)
ATI Radeon HD 3870x2 PCIe Dual Core Video Card (previously had ATI Radeon HD 2900 XT PCIe)
SoundBlaster X-Fi Extreme Gamer Sound Card (previously had SoundBlaster 24-bit)
GE Internal Dual Layer DVD R/W Drive
3x Hard Drives
Windows Vista Ultimate Edition x64 SP 1

Steps taken to resolve issue so far:
Reinstall Windows Vista numerous times.
Replaced video card with different model.
Replaced sound card with different model.
Replaced RAM.
Updated motherboard BIOS.

Are there any other steps that I could take to narrow down the cause of the problem and resolve it?
The only way to learn anything is to question everything.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2009 - 09:19 PM

Some reading here:
http://forums.amd.com/game/messageview.cfm...threadid=104677
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 InterestinglyAverage

InterestinglyAverage
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2009 - 11:16 AM

Thanks! That is by far the most comprehensive article I have seen about this issue. Unfortunately, so far it has not led to a successful fix.
The only way to learn anything is to question everything.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users