Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

STOP 0x0000008E - Blue Screen

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
13 replies to this topic

#1 J-ROCK

J-ROCK

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:15 PM

Posted 05 January 2009 - 02:23 PM

Just yesterday I got a blue screen upon boot up. I hit the reset button to reboot. Sometimes it will kinda boot into windows (I can see all my icons and desktop, the cursor looks like an arrow but it I click on any icons nothing happens, if I move the cursor over the bottom blue bar it turns into the hourglass). It will eventually go back to the Blue screen which has the following error.

STOP: 0x0000008E (0xC0000005, 0xB14C7B3A, 0xAE51E788, 0x00000000)

I can boot into safe mode, I ran SuperAntiSpyware and it didn't find anything. I plugged in my USB drive and am trying to copy my family pictures from it now while it seems to still work.

Latest version of SuperAntiSpyware and Malaware are installed, should be updated and the machine is regularly scanned...probably a few days ago.

Last thing I can remember doing was trying to update my codec for Windows Media player

Two weird and potentially realted items recently which I can't explain:
1) I have a wireless router; connected to it are: my desktop PC (The one with the issue) with cable to the router; my wifes laptop and a PS3 are connected wireless.
All of a sudden the wireless portion stopped working but the cable connected PC still worked fine. I fixed a problem by loggin onto my Linksys router and notice one of the setting had changed from "WEP" I set it back and everything seamed fine.......not sure how that setting could change if I didn't logg into my router and change it.....like I said, weird and may or may not be realted......boy I must sound like an idiot.

2) This is weird too, a few days ago, my blue bar across the bottom of the screen had a second layer of blue above the blue bar about 1 milimeter wide, as if there is another blue bar behind it 1 mm higher?!?....wooow do you follow or am I completley crazy?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
J-ROCK

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Zllio

Zllio

• Members
  • 1,107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:15 PM

Posted 05 January 2009 - 02:50 PM

Hi J-ROCK,

Good to back up your data, as it could be your harddrive is failing. Try not to reboot more than you have to.

Then try these things.

First try going back to an earlier restore point:

If you've never done this before, Go to Start / All Programs / Accessories / System Tools / System Restore
check the box to Restore my computer to an earlier time and click on Next. You'll see a calendar with highlighted dates. Choose one of the dates just preceeding these problems and allow your system to return to that date. See if the problem goes away.
If this doesn't work, go back into System Restore as per the above instructions, only this time choose the option to reverse the change you made.

Then if that doesn't help, try to boot into Safe Mode and see if you can get to the Last Known Good Configuration choice and see if that helps. Here's an ariticle on that:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307852/

Also for this type of error, there's a link from Microsoft suggesting downloading the most recent service pack. Have you done that already? Look at these two articles:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/945658/

http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb%3Ben...mp;x=8&y=10

Zllio

#3 J-ROCK

J-ROCK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2009 - 02:58 PM

Hi J-ROCK,

Good to back up your data, as it could be your harddrive is failing. Try not to reboot more than you have to.

Then try these things.

First try going back to an earlier restore point:

If you've never done this before, Go to Start / All Programs / Accessories / System Tools / System Restore
check the box to Restore my computer to an earlier time and click on Next. You'll see a calendar with highlighted dates. Choose one of the dates just preceeding these problems and allow your system to return to that date. See if the problem goes away.
If this doesn't work, go back into System Restore as per the above instructions, only this time choose the option to reverse the change you made.

Then if that doesn't help, try to boot into Safe Mode and see if you can get to the Last Known Good Configuration choice and see if that helps. Here's an ariticle on that:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307852/

Also for this type of error, there's a link from Microsoft suggesting downloading the most recent service pack. Have you done that already? Look at these two articles:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/945658/

http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb%3Ben...mp;x=8&y=10

Zllio

Thanks Zillio,
I'll have to try the restore in Safe Mode because I can't click anything in normal mode. Is this the option that I get when I hit F8 while booting up? Instead of selecting to boot into Safe Mode I should select the Restore option?

Any comments on my 2 weird events???

Thanks,
Jay

#4 J-ROCK

J-ROCK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2009 - 11:52 PM

O.K. at boot up I hit F8, tried the "Last Known Good Configuration" choice and it did the same thing, back to the blue screen.

I also tried to do a system restore while in Safe Mode with a Command prompt.
%systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

System restore launches then when you click next it does nothing.

Thanks,
Jay

Edited by J-ROCK, 06 January 2009 - 12:44 AM.

#5 J-ROCK

J-ROCK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2009 - 03:47 PM

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,
J

#6 U R Insan3

U R Insan3

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2009 - 04:15 PM

ha, kind of funny. my laptop is doing almost the exact same. the stop message is a bit different 0x0000008e ( 0xc0000005, 0xf212210...) or something, i'm reading it off my camera as i took a picture of it ha. Anyways my computer blue screens after a minute or so of working in normal mode but will run perfectly in safe made. the oddest part is my system restore does the EXACT same thing, nothing will happen after i hit next to start the restore process. last thing i remember happening to my computer before all this happened, was playing halo ( i have a bridged wireless and LAN connection so my xbox runs off my laptops internet ) and i was on a website that was not known for having malicious content, i looked down after my game and a popup had occurred, a cmd prompt was open, avg found 4-5 trojan downloaders and was informing me that the popup page was bad. i just clicked remove threats and backed out of everything and restarted my computer, next thing.. BSOD. oh joy. my best guess is it's a rootkit, i backed up all my pictures and what not and put them on a computer, scanning them with avg and rootkit revealer atm. right now im running a live disc of ubuntu 8.04 and everything is working fine, including my internet. i'm waiting for my brother to send me my xp cd, as i moved to florida it's still up in ohio. he'll rip the iso image and i'll download it and reburn it, planning on reinstalling windows and then partitioning for ubuntu so i have a backup OS incase anything happens again. looking into external drives and flash drives for now so i dont have to worry if anything happens in the future.

anyways if i were you i'd try countless anti rootkit programs, fun a few more scans with various programs. this way incase if it is a rootkit, some can hide from the scanners so try multiple ones. even if you do successfully find one and remove it it's still very dangerous to do anything confidential on your computer and if i were you i would reformat and install windows again,but thats just my advice, i'd listen to the professionals here ;)

anyways goodluck, hope you get everything in order!
-TJB

#7 Zllio

Zllio

• Members
  • 1,107 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2009 - 06:34 AM

Hi J-ROCK,

I was thinking this might be related to hardware in some way and asked Usasma for his thoughts on it, which are as follows:

- numerous hardware problems
- STOP 0x8e during memory access (in most cases this is a hardware/driver STOP error)

So, he'll need MemTest to rule out the memory ( http://www.memtest86.com/ )
A hard drive diag wouldn't hurt - but there'd be issues in Safe Mode if the hard drive was failing. Most likely it's something that loads in normal mode, but not in Safe Mode (a driver)
And probably run WinDbg to see what else is revealed in the memory dump ( http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/176011/how-to-receive-help-diagnosing-blue-screens-and-windows-crashes/ ) I'll read it if he posts it.

If the dump file doesn't give suggestions, then we'll need a detailed history of what was done to the system recently (hardware and software).

Beyond that, we'll end up replacing all the drivers for all the affected pieces of hardware. Then move onto replacing the motherboard drivers. If all that fails to fix it, then we're looking at it possibly being a motherboard problem (since that's where all the hardware comes together).

- John

Please post back any results you get. Also, whether you are able to run these tests or not.

For the suggestion to run rootkit scans, you will need to get help from the Am I Infected forum, but it would be best to see what you can do here first.

Zllio

#8 J-ROCK

J-ROCK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2009 - 10:30 AM

Well,

I have been running some virus scanners in Safe Mode, since, well, that's pretty much the extent of my PC repair knowledge....While running Malware, it found a Trojan DNSChanger. I guess it "modifies the DNS settings on compromised computer and sends the search results to an affiliated websites" from what I can read about. This probably happened when I had that 1st weird problem from my first post above.

When I boot into Safe Mode there are two user accounts I can log into "Administrator" or "Jay". I am doing all this in the "Administrator" account. I guess I will then boot in Safe Mode into the "Jay" account and run MBAM and SUPERAntiSpyware again to be sure. I will run these over and over until I am clean.

Then I will try to boot in Normal Mode and see what happens.....

I have a question, When I boot into Safe Mode there are two user accounts I can log into "Administrator" or "Jay". When I boot into Normal windows mode I don't have any options (I assume I get into "Jay".....I am the only one using this machine, can I get rid of the "Administrator" account?

Do I need to run anything else? SDFix or AVG Cleaner? Should the Trojan DNSChanger be the cause of the Blue Screen?

Thanks,
Jay

#9 Zllio

Zllio

• Members
  • 1,107 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2009 - 10:56 AM

J-ROCK,

The "Adminstrator" account only shows in safe mode. That is normal.

I will ask that your thread be moved to the Am I Infected forum and you can post your logs over there and let them tell you how to go on.

Zllio

#10 J-ROCK

J-ROCK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2009 - 11:04 AM

Thanks Zllio for looking after my issues.

Jay

#11 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2009 - 12:24 PM

Moving to AII forum
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#12 J-ROCK

J-ROCK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2009 - 08:59 PM

O.K. I was seamingly O.K. but it's worse now.

I managed to clean out the virus I think I had "Trojan DNSChanger" using MBAM and SUPERAntiSpyware.

I ran them both in Safe Mode under both "Administrator" and "Jay" accounts. Booted into windows without it freezing. I ran MBAM (Nothing found) and SUPERAntiSpyware it found "Rogue.Component/Trace". I cleaned it and deleted the quarentined and rebooted as I was prompted. I used my machine for a few hours and all was fine. I deleted all restored points and created a new one. I ran clean disk then defragmented my C drive. I think I continued to use my machine for a bit. Then I sut it down for the night. This morning I booted it up and it continues to crash upon boot up.
It will reboot anywhere from 1 second into booting up, all the way up to actually booting into windows fine and then rebooting..

I can't boot up long enough to get a Hijack This Log

I can't get into Safe mode for any amount of time eather. Can you help?

Thanks,
Jason

#13 J-ROCK

J-ROCK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2009 - 11:48 PM

O.K. I managed to get into Safe Mode and it has been up and running for a couple of days while I have been pulling off all my files with a USB drive.

Thanks,
Jay

Edited out DDS log as this isn't the forum for such and because a DDS log has been properly posted here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/195096/roguecomponenttrace-trojan-dnschanger/ ~ OB

Edited by Orange Blossom, 14 January 2009 - 03:10 PM.

#14 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,993 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2009 - 03:11 PM

To avoid confusion, this topic shall now be closed. ~ OB
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users