Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Removing old software index

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 tpm

tpm

• Members
  • 355 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:45 PM

Posted 05 January 2009 - 02:06 PM

Hello again

I had Ultimate Windows Tweaker installed but decided to get rid of it. When right clicking on the desktop I still find it in the Right click menu

Thanks

Attached File  Desktop_R_click.jpg   16.09KB   11 downloads
Tom

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 figgis41

figgis41

• Members
  • 801 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:45 AM

Posted 05 January 2009 - 02:32 PM

hi tom ,,, try this in the link,,,
http://winlintips.blogspot.com/2007/10/how...in-windows.html
good luck.
Figgis,,,, LUFC

#3 tpm

tpm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 355 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2009 - 04:02 PM

Thanks figgis but unfortunately it wasn't there. The asterisk under Root values through me off but finally figured it out,
Tom

#4 figgis41

figgis41

• Members
  • 801 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:45 AM

Posted 05 January 2009 - 05:05 PM

hi tom ,,, i found this,,, try it out,,
http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/OS-Enh...nu-Editor.shtml
good luck.
Figgis,,,, LUFC

#5 tpm

tpm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 355 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2009 - 07:57 AM

Unfortunately the program you mentioned doesn't seem to see it. I looked everywhere and I can't see any remnants of Ultimate window Tweaker. Could it go by another name?
Tom

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:45 PM

Posted 06 January 2009 - 10:05 AM

Try searching your Registry for "Ultimate Windows Tweaker" (without the quotes) and let us know what you find.
Also, prior to messing with the registry, it's advisable to back it up. This will assist you in recovering if an error makes your system unbootable.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 tpm

tpm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 355 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2009 - 10:17 AM

Says Phrase not found when doing a search under Find

Edited by tpm, 06 January 2009 - 10:19 AM.

Tom

#8 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2009 - 11:15 AM

There's a bunch of context menus in Windows, so finding this bugger may take some work.

Try searching for "Tweaker" (without the quotes) - in case the program writers inserted blanks rather than empty spaces between the words.

Next thing to try is to search the registry for ContextMenu and Context Menu
Then check the entries underneath it to see if anything looks familiar.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#9 tpm

tpm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 355 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2009 - 11:23 AM

Still can't find it. I guess I'll leave it be seeing as it isn't causing trouble. I'm thinking maybe if I reinstall the program and delete it again? Or just leave it
Tom

#10 tpm

tpm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 355 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2009 - 11:30 AM

FOUND IT!!!

Sure it was just me but I found it under CURRENT USER/Software/ Ultimate windows Tweaker. Now do I just delete the entire folder??

Attached File  tweaker_reg.jpg   79.27KB   11 downloads

Attached File  Ultimate_tweaker_under_software.jpg   61.21KB   13 downloads
Tom

#11 tpm

tpm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 355 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2009 - 12:37 PM

I deleted the folder from the registry ...Software. It did delete BUT entry on the right click menu is STILL THERE

Anywhere else it could be hiding??
Thanks
Tom

#12 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2009 - 02:45 PM

The key that you deleted was the entry that the program installed originally.
I'd suggest reinstalling the program, then uninstalling it (making sure that you run it as an Administrator).

#13 tpm

tpm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 355 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2009 - 06:05 PM

OK John I'll work on that tomorrow
Thanks
Tom

#14 tpm

tpm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 355 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2009 - 08:24 AM

Hello again
I reinstalled the program, well sort of. It is a zip folder and once extracted puts an icon in my Doc folder. My right click on the desktop shows it on the menu but it will only work if the program is open. Otherwise it shows "Application not Found". My question is should I have installed it someplace else? And when uninstalling the program my only option is to delete the icon from my doc folder. Seems messed up
Correction: With program open the right click menu option states "Application not found" :huh:
Should I place it in the program folder??
Thanks

Edited by tpm, 07 January 2009 - 08:27 AM.

Tom

#15 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2009 - 11:27 AM

It appears (to me) to be an executable that just makes registry changes.
As such, there's really nothing installed other than the executable (so there's nothing to remove)
Try this:
Open up the Ultimate Windows Tweaker
Click on the About link on the left hand sidebar
Remove the checkmark from the "Add shortcut to desktop context menu" box
Click Apply, then Exit.
Then test to see if it's gone!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users