Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wireless connection refused!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 istill316

istill316

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:52 PM

Posted 05 January 2009 - 01:16 PM

Hello!

I'm trying to connect an HP Compaq 6910p laptop with a Broadcom 802.11a/b/g WLAN adapter (driver version 4.150.29.0) to an ASUS WL-500gP router with WPA encryption. I tried updating to the newest drivers, but to no avail.

The wireless network always appears in the list of available networks, with excellent signal strength. (I'm only one room away, and even tried setting my laptop directly adjacent to the router.)

The listing does _not_ list '(WPA)' as the other WPA networks do.

Several other computers, both desktops and laptops currently connect to this router without problem, and this one did connect to it, but has ceased to do so for some unknown reason. This laptop can connect to any other wireless router quite easily, and is currently doing so.

I have tried disabling/re-enabling the wireless card, updating to and rolling back from the newest driver, uninstalling/re-installing the wireless device, deleting everything out of the preferred networks list, manually creating a profile for the desired network, and searching the registry for the network name and the network key: all to no avail.

The error I receive after a bit of time while waiting to connect is as follows:

"Windows is unable to connect to the selected network. The network may no longer be in range. Please refresh the list of available networks, and try to connect again."

I never have the option to enter the network key.

I look forward to your thoughts!

~ istill316

PS: I wondered if my computer is somehow saving the settings in some unknown place for this network, and hence is confused, but I can find no such thing. Is there a way to officially clear all wireless network information from a computer?

Edited by istill316, 05 January 2009 - 01:43 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 gavinseabrook

gavinseabrook

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:52 AM

Posted 07 January 2009 - 01:47 AM

You might want to check the preferred network settings and remove all the saved network information. Then try to reconnect.

Gavin Seabrook

#3 istill316

istill316
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2009 - 11:36 AM

No luck there.

#4 caghan

caghan

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:52 PM

Posted 07 January 2009 - 07:12 PM

there should be a reset button on your router. you can push that for 10seconds and the router will reset back to its original settings WEP and WPA encryption will be reverted back to their old settings. first of all before encrypting the signal, try it with no encryption to see if you can rule that out.

#5 istill316

istill316
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2009 - 12:25 PM

If I reset the router, that will screw up all the other computers connecting to it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users