Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Delayed Application Startup

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 istill316

istill316

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:20 PM

Posted 05 January 2009 - 12:15 PM

Hello!

Often when I try to open applications, they do not open for several minutes. BUT, this is no ordinary slow machine. Every already-open application works great during this time. The mouse cursor quickly changes back to the standard pointer (no hourglass) after attempting to launch something. Incidentally, starting programs from the command prompt/Run menu has the exact same delay.

Eventually, all programs that I have tried to open during this time of delay open all at once. The length of delay doesn't seem to be dependent on the number or complexity of applications opened. The Task Manager also delays opening, which makes it difficult to check out runnign processes, but I did succeed once, in keeping it open after a delay and experiencing a later delay, and none of the applications I opened showed up in the processes list until they were all visibly opened.

A delay is never guaranteed, and after a delay has completed, programs open normally (until another delay).

Perhaps related, when launching/using Windows Explorer, it hangs (or sometimes just takes a very long time) any time I try to access My Computer. I can do anything in any folder (e.g. Run: C:\, C:\Windows, or D:\), and open them directly, but I can't access My Computer with its list of drives.

Thoughts?

Thanks!
istill316

PS: My computer is running Windows XP Pro SP2.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,754 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:20 PM

Posted 05 January 2009 - 03:05 PM

Hi :thumbsup:.

Info on the system?

Manufacturer and model?

Amount of RAM installed?

Size of C: partition...and amount of free space on C: ?

Have you tried running chkdsk /r and defragging the system recently?

Start/Run...type chkdsk /r (with space between k and /) and hit Enter or OK. When screen query comes up, type Y, hit Enter or OK. Reboot system and let chkdsk run to completion, it will reboot system when done.

Have you checked Event Viewer for possible clues to situations which require your attention (errors)?

How To Use Event Viewer - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/40108/how-to-use-event-viewer/

Louis

#3 istill316

istill316
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2009 - 11:34 AM

It's a laptop, HP Compaq 6910p, 2GB RAM. C: is 149GB, 80GB used, 68.9GB free.

I ran chkdsk /r (which took a long time!) and it found nothing to fix. Running defrag now. I hadn't even known there was such a thing as Event Viewer! There were errors, but I couldn't match them with any event, as they happened too long ago.

Incidentally, after running chkdsk, even though it fixed nothing, I haven't had the delay problem, though My Computer is still slow to load (but not crashing). I'll update if it happens again.

Thanks!

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,754 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2009 - 12:45 PM

Worth looking at, IMO:

10 Reasons Why Your Computer Runs Slow - - http://www.bestsecuritytips.com/xfsection+...rticleid+43.htm

Slow Computer - http://www.theeldergeek.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=22278

Louis

#5 istill316

istill316
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2009 - 12:26 PM

So the delay happened again a few minutes ago. There's nothing in the Event Viewer about it. Defrag was successful yesterday.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,754 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2009 - 03:00 PM

Well...I think that you've done all that is reasonable, assuming that malware is not the root cause.

Generally, IME, when there is a delay on simple system functions...it can be traced to disorderly files (chkdsk and defrag took care of that) or some problem which generates an error message.

The one additional step which you can take (if you have an XP CD) is to try to run sfc /scannow, in an effort to remove system file corruption from the list of suspects.

LEARN how to use SFC.EXE (system file checker) in this article! - http://www.updatexp.com/scannow-sfc.html

I can't think of anything else at this time, other than a repair install (and that seems like overkill to me).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users