Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cheap online shops for components?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Faz

Faz

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:03 AM

Posted 05 January 2009 - 07:40 AM

Hi,

Ive had a quick look around on this site and couldnt find a thread like this so thought Id start one. As the title says, Im looking for cheap online shops for PC components as Im thinking of upgrading or (more than likely) building a new PC.

Can people please point me in the right direction?

The only places I really use are:

www.dabs.com
www.maplin.co.uk
www.scan.co.uk

but Im just wondering if theyre the best.

Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:03 PM

Posted 05 January 2009 - 10:25 AM

The best place I know of is NEWEGG.COM they usually have the best prices and there are reviews from buyers on the products to help you decide...

Good Luck! :thumbsup:
"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#3 Faz

Faz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2009 - 10:41 AM

NewEgg only ship within the US unfortunately. I live in the UK so cant order from them.

#4 figgis41

figgis41

• Members
  • 801 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2009 - 03:13 PM

hi,,, newegg is a bit far for us (usa) so i would give both these a go,,, both are very quick and have a great returns policy,,, i get most of my stuff of them both,,,

http://www.ebuyer.com/
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/
hope this is what you wanted,,,, good luck.
Figgis,,,, LUFC

#5 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:03 PM

Posted 05 January 2009 - 03:42 PM

Tigerdirect has an online store for U.K. residents: Misco.co.uk

3939.png

#6 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2009 - 02:58 AM

NewEgg only ship within the US

Hmm... I didn't know that. Sorry, I guess since I live here I never looked.. :thumbsup:
"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#7 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2009 - 03:01 AM

Newegg does ship to Canada and, oddly enough, China. You just have to go to the .ca or .com.cn domains, or you can click the links for them at the bottom of the page.

3939.png

#8 Faz

Faz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2009 - 04:29 AM

Thanks for the list, keep em coming.

Looks like dabs is working out cheapest for the system I want.

Its been quite a few years since Ive built a PC but does this look alright?

Windows Vista Home Premium (Included with Motherboard Bundle)

Motherboard:

Gigabyte AM2 nVidia MCP55P ATX 8Ch Audio GLan - 52.45

Memory:

2 x Crucial 2GB 800MHz DDR2 PC2-6400 - 14.99 (Each) / 29.98 (Both)

Gfx:

Asus Radeon HD3870x2 1GB DDR3 PCIE Dual DVI 825/1.8GHz - 168.57

Soundcard: Creative X-Fi - (Already have)

Storage:

120GB IDE, 28GB IDE, 300GB USB - (Already have)

WLAN:

Linksys WAG54G - (Already have) / USB Wireless Adapter (Included with Motherboard bundle)

Processor:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000 Dual Core AM2 1MB 3.1GHz - 67.90

Monitor:

Already have

Drives:

DVD R/W - Already have

Case:

Dabs Value BLACK WIZARD CASE 600W +25CM LED FAN SIDE PANEL - 42.05

Cooling:

Zalman Heatpipe CPU cooler with 92mm blue LED fan - 36.68

PSU:

600W - (Included in case)

Dabs Price Total - 495.03 Inc delivery (8.98)

#9 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2009 - 05:16 PM

With that configuration, you will need 64-bit Windows to use all 4GB of RAM. The graphics card is a little old, but if you're not into games it will work nicely. The processor is a good, inexpensive choice since not many programs can take advantage of more than two cores. Note that AMD is planning on launching the new Phenom II processors is a few days. This might cause processor prices to change. I also cannot find your motherboard choice on Gigabyte's home page, either the U.K. one or worldwide.

3939.png

#10 Faz

Faz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2009 - 06:06 PM

Bugger, I forgot about the RAM limit. I'll only need 3gig then. Im not much of a gamer, play a few older games but thats about it.

The motherboard is this one:

http://www.giga-byte.com/Products/Motherbo...?ProductID=2539 - is that any good or utter poop?

Thanks for letting me know about the new AMD CPU's. Might wait a few weeks and see what happens.

Cheers mate.

#11 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2009 - 06:23 PM

You can still have 4GB of RAM, just you'll be limited to 3 to 3.5GB since the rest will be used for addressing. If you later to decide to go 64-bit, you will be good to go. The motherboard at the link is the GA-M57SLI-S4, that's a good motherboard. I do suggest getting an AM2+ processor with that motherboard, which is faster.

3939.png

#12 Faz

Faz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2009 - 04:29 AM

Cheers mate, what gfx card would you recommend? I dont play many games but wouldnt mind having something that wont struggle if I do find a new game I like.

#13 Rhinestone

Rhinestone

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2009 - 08:43 AM

I noticed that all of your internal drives are IDE, and you want to put an IDE DVD player in as well.

Be sure to note how many IDE ports are available on your motherboard, many of the new ones only have one IDE port (So only 2 devices) available. The rest are usually for the new Serial Hard Drives.

I ran into this problem with my new Nvidia Motherboard and had to buy a new hard drive to go with it.

Oh! Also make sure whatever power supply you get has all the right connections for your motherboard. Some of the fancier motherboards also require special connections for the graphics cards. I had to hunt around to find one with a special 12 pin supplementary connector.

Good Luck!

Edited by Rhinestone, 07 January 2009 - 08:44 AM.

#14 Faz

Faz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2009 - 09:29 AM

Cheers.

Some of the bits I already have in the PC Ive got. The motherboard only has 1 IDE port and the rest are SATA. Im buying a 1TB SATA HDD and using my 120GB HDD and the DVD burner on the IDE chain. Im leaving the other IDE bits in the PC as someone I work with wants to buy it off me.

Ive also changed most of the bits now and upgraded the CPU.

Edited by Faz, 07 January 2009 - 09:30 AM.

#15 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2009 - 03:59 PM

A good graphics card can be a bit tricky. Before you go off to get one, you should check to make sure your computer case can handle an 11 inch long card. Some mid-ATX tower cases aren't deep enough or have the hard drive cage blocking installation. Many mid range cards will fit normally into mid-ATX cases, but for larger top-of-the-line cards, like the HD 4870 X2, you are stuck purchasing a Full ATX tower. Many power supplies, more so if they are SLI or Crossfire certified, come with all necessary connections. Also, your motherboard supports SLI so I suggest getting an NVidia card. If you later decide to use SLI, it would not be difficult to find a second matching card. That said, here are my suggestions

XFX 9800GTX+ XXX Edition 775MHz 512MB DDR3 Dual DVI HDTV Out PCI-E - A good midrange card that will handle many of today's most popular games well. I have one of these.
Zotac GeForce GTX 260 "Maxcore" 896MB GDDR3 TV-Out/Dual DVI - This is the next step up from the 9800 GTX.
Asus GeForce 9800 GT HybridPower 512MB GDDR3 HDTV/DVI - Not as powerful as the 9800 GTX, but still a good card for older games.

Edited by DJBPace07, 07 January 2009 - 04:00 PM.

3939.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users