Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Build... No Video/POST

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Kingddd

Kingddd

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:56 PM

Posted 05 January 2009 - 03:57 AM

Hi! I recently bought parts for a new system off of newegg, got it, put it all together, power it on.. and nothing. All fans and lights start up fine but nothing else. No video on screen, no post beeps. I know the monitor, CPU, RAM, PSU, and Vid card all work because I hooked them all up in my brothers motherboard (in my case) and booted up everything without a problem. Plugged it all in on my board and got nothing. Ive heard that RAM is usally a problem with this so I tried everything I could think of. Put in just 1 stick of ram, tried in all slots, tried both sticks in every combination of slot, and made sure it was in there tight. Also tried resetting the CMOS, using a diffrent video card (no onboard vid) and a bigger PSU. Seems like nothing I try works. I wouldn't put it past newegg for giving me 2 dead boards (bros 1st board was DOA) in the same order, but I hope thats not the case. Is there anything that I may have forgot, incompatibility I missed, or anything I could try. Please, any help at all would be appreciated. Thank you.

Specs for my system:

CORSAIR 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16820145184

BIOSTAR A770 A2+ AM2+/AM2 AMD 770 ATX AMD Motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16813138106

AMD Athlon 64 X2 7750 2.7GHz Socket AM2+ 95W Dual-Core black edition Processor
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16819103300

PNY VCG88512GXPB GeForce 8800GT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16814133205

And Bros MoBo everything worked in
Foxconn A7GM-S AM2+/AM2 AMD 780G HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16813186141

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nikken50

nikken50

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2009 - 04:10 AM

first thing I would try is replacing the power suppy, also is their a 4 pin power connector on the motherboard?

#3 Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 05 January 2009 - 04:30 AM

Make sure you have an operating system.

You should go with Ubuntu Linux

Look at the jumper on your motherboard and 3 pins labeled CMOS reset. Move the jumper over to 2-3 (possibly 1-2 over). Wait 30 seconds, and then move it back to 1-2 and boot.

If those solutions do not work, then consider replacing the CMOS battery because it is probably dead.

The power supply may not be an issue. But, consider replacing it anyway with a processor like that.

#4 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2009 - 06:58 PM

Take the motherboard out of the case and set it on a piece of cardboard. Connect the bare minimums up to it, power supply, one stick of ram, processor, heatsink for processor, and video card. Turn it on and see what happens. The motherboard may be grounded out by touching the metal in the case. Did you remember to put the standoffs in between the case and motherboard?

After trying all of those things you mentioned, and what we mention, if you are still having problems, I'd have to think the motherboard may be dead.

Edited by Sterling14, 05 January 2009 - 07:01 PM.

"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,251 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2009 - 08:01 PM

Not that you want to do this, but...go back to the beginning.

Put it together again, slowly.

I'd check the CPU and all other connections for bent pins (I've had bent CPU pins cause a situation like yours).

Since you say that everything worked previously...no reason not to take the time to check everything out as you did previously.

If all the components still perform individually...it has to be something you overlooked when assembling.

Louis

#6 Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 05 January 2009 - 08:30 PM

After trying all of those things you mentioned, and what we mention, if you are still having problems, I'd have to think the motherboard may be dead.

Rest assured that if you do not have luck getting advice on BC or anywhere else, then you should take it to a computer repair shop or an engineer to have the motherboard tested. Never jump to conclusions and recycle the motherboard.

#7 Kingddd

Kingddd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2009 - 10:35 PM

Ok Forgot to mention but all work I've been doing on it has been with bare minimum (cpu, ram, vid, power) on cardboard on a desk. So can't be case. Already reset the CMOS at least once. Used 2 Diffrent power supplies, got nothing from either. CPU should be fine. Looked it over and pins were all perfectly straight. Like I said, it worked in my bros board.. took it out and set it in mine right away so I don't think thats it. If its a good chance that MoBo could be dead I don't have a problem sending it in while its still under warranty for free replacement (would get refund but was part of an awesome combo deal and theyd want my hdd to..) Would a motherboard tester be able to tell if it had just a bad ram or cpu slot? Also would the BIOS need to be updated at all? Read that this board doesn't work with Quad core and newer cpus, don't know if mine would be an issue. Again thank you for your help everyone!

#8 Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 05 January 2009 - 11:23 PM

A motherboard tester can and will tell you what is bad in the motherboard. However, if you get a free replacement because it is under warranty, then get it replaced. Going to a motherboard tester will cost, whereas a send-back warranty replacement will not cost.

#9 carnage2

carnage2

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2009 - 07:41 PM

i have the same problem
just replaced the psu,
and still nothing
most of the stuff works on my old build, the graphics card was new, and so was the RAM
i tried setting it on the table too and got nothing
so it must be the mobo right?

#10 Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 06 January 2009 - 09:17 PM

Indeed. I recommend to replace the motherboard. Follow this troubleshooter first.

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,251 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2009 - 09:36 PM

"New" doesn't necessarily mean that it's free of defect, no matter what the item.

Items are returned every day for that reason.

The way to rule out such, IMO, is to test the parts (individually) in a different system...rather than just guessing or hoping.

Louis

#12 Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 07 January 2009 - 02:49 AM

"New" doesn't necessarily mean that it's free of defect, no matter what the item.

Items are returned every day for that reason.

The way to rule out such, IMO, is to test the parts (individually) in a different system...rather than just guessing or hoping.

Louis

And this makes it much harder to build computers yourself. Buying an actual new, unused board, video card, or processor are a good idea. Buying a used one of either hardware is always not such a good idea. It is a usual wonder to gurus like me how someone would want hardware that has already been through wear and tear.

Someone who had hardware deteriorate may have used the hardware on their computer, found out it was dying, so they sold it quick in order to gain money so they can buy some new hardware.

#13 Kingddd

Kingddd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2009 - 11:10 PM

Hey all. Just thought I would come back with an update on this. Sent the board back to newegg and just got the new one today. Put it all together and everything boots up great! So... Problem solved! Just a bad motherboard. Thanks to everyone for the suggestions but meh, can't fix a dead board!

#14 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2009 - 09:17 PM

Glad everything worked out for you!
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users