Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problems with WMP!

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Help_me!

Help_me!

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:28 PM

Posted 20 May 2005 - 09:56 AM

I use Windows Media Player 9, and have had this problem for a couple of months now. I had/have not made any crucial changes to my computer during the time the problem started, and would like to know if I can solve it. I used to use Windows Media Player a lot, and am starting to lose my patience with this computer as I have tried so many different things to fix it, howvever none have seemed to work....

When I open Windows Media Player, it immediatly accesses "Media Guide". I then go to "Media Library", and open the "All Music" section. When a song is selected, it turns red (meaning is is "corrupted") and tries the next song, which also becomes recognised as "corrupted". This continues until all of the files have turned red. From time to time, the following message comes up ....

'Windows Media Player cannot play the file because there is a problem with your sound device. There may not be a sound device installed on your computer, it may be in use by another application, or it may not be functioning properly.'

If I try playing a video file, half of them are "corrupted", whilst the other half only play the video, with no music. However there is one exception here, there is one video file that plays music. This file has no video, so it has been entered into the wrong section.

After this happens, if I go back onto the "Media Guide" page, an Internet Explorer Script Error comes up.

I know for a fact that none of my files are corrupted, as I have selected each and every one in the past, and they have all worked. I have made no major changes to my computer, so I don't know what could have caused this problem.....

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,395 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2005 - 06:03 PM

Have you tried WMP 10 and is the problem still there?

#3 Help_me!

Help_me!
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2005 - 02:32 AM

I'm using Windows 98, so it's not compatible with my computer.

#4 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:28 AM

Posted 23 May 2005 - 05:27 AM

Can you uninstall WMP9 and re-install it?

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#5 Help_me!

Help_me!
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2005 - 10:39 AM

Yes, I've tried that but the problem remains...... :thumbsup:

#6 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:28 AM

Posted 24 May 2005 - 07:24 PM

I don't have any idea what the problem is. Some questions though:

Do audio CD's play Ok?

Is there anything in Device Manager indicating a hardware or driver problem?
Device Manager is accessed by opening Control Panel and double clicking System then click on the Hardware tab (may be different name in 98). Devices with problems are indicated by a red X or a yellow triangle with ! inside.

Have you tried another media player like IrfanView or VLC?

Have you run Scandisk to check for hard drive errors?
  • Boot in Safe Mode and do a scandisk with the 'Thorough' and 'Fix' options checked.
    If you are not sure how to boot in Safe Mode there is a tutorial here:
    Safe Mode
    How to find scandisk:
    Start>My Computer. Right click the C: drive then Properties>Tools tab, click on Check Now

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#7 Help_me!

Help_me!
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2005 - 06:54 PM

Sorry that it's taken me a while to reply, I've been revising a lot recently....

Anyway, I tried everything you asked me to do and here are the results:

When I try to play audio CD's, WMP9 "plays" them, although there is no sound. In other words, the bar at the bottom moves along as the song progresses even though the song doesn't actually play....

In the device manager there is one problem which is indiceted with a yellow circle containing an exclaimation mark. This file is : Creative Sound Blaster AudioPCI 128

I've tried downloading the other two media players on my computer, but theywont work with my computer....

I'll have to get back to you with the information on the safemode part, and my mum will go mad if she catches me doing anything other than revision on here!!

Thank you for your help... XxX Laura XxX

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users