Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Don't know what to do anymore

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 lornaboy

lornaboy

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:47 PM

Posted 20 May 2005 - 09:12 AM

Hi Guys,

Sorry to come and plee for help but I'm afraid I am with no other solution

P4 running XP2 proffesional, constantly updated AVG and Microsoft Anti-spy

When I booted my machine on Monday morning the display was all wrong, the red cross to close programmes down was corrupt and icons where stretching every now again. First through device manager, would not let me in.

Search for files or folders will not work.

Start getting message about c:\documents and settings local user blah blah se.dll

Updated and ran avg deleted se.dll

web started loading about:blank

Coulld not go to ANY websites that had forums or support or knowledge base.

Used the internet at work (whicH I don't like doing, ok I do but I don't like loosing my job) and found out about removing se.dll manually using the registry etc., worked fine, se.dll now removed but all of the symptons are still the same bar my browser doesnt go to about:blank anymore but still will not open forums etc.,

It's a complete nightmare, I have to be quick on here as I can't access forums at home and work ends soon, so if anyone is SO KIND I'd really appreciate if you could e-mail any advice about what to do next to <removed> as well as posting on here, I can check for the next hour!

Many thanks and sorry for being lame,

Mark

Email removed to prevent spambot harvesting~g

Edited by groovicus, 20 May 2005 - 03:54 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 g2i2r4

g2i2r4

Malware remover

• Members
  • 900 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:47 PM

Posted 20 May 2005 - 03:49 PM

Welcome lornaboy to Bleeping Computer.

You are not being lame, just infected.

You may need to use the computer at work again. Download the needed programs to a disk and copy them to the infected computer.

Download CW-Shredder at the link below:
http://cwshredder.net/bin/CWShredder.exe
Don't run it yet!

Download 'SpSeHjfix' to the desktop.
Rightclick a blank part of the desktop and select new folder, call it ‘spfix’.
Unzip the file into that folder. Don't run it yet.

Please download the latest version of HiJack This. Click here to download the latest version (1.99.1). Please save it in a permanent folder (such as C:\HJT). This is to ensure that backups are saved and accessible in the event you should need it. Follow the instructions below if you are unsure how to save it in a permanent folder:1.) Click on the link to download HiJackThis.exe.
2.) When it pulls up the box (for you to pick a location to save the file), click on the pulldown menu and select "[C:]".
3.) Click on the button to "create new folder" and name the folder HiJackThis
4.) Double click on the folder you just made (to go into the folder) and click "save" on the bottom of the box.

Disconnect from the net and Close ALL OPEN PROGRAMS.
Run 'SpSeHjfix' and click on "Start Disinfection".
When it's finished it will reboot your computer to finish the cleaning process.
The tool creates a log of the fix which will appear in the folder.

If it doesn't find any of the SE files or any hidden reinstallers, it will say system clean and not go on to next stage.

Now run the CWShredder - Hit The FIX button!

Reboot and post a log using HijackThis and the log that was created by 'SpSeHjfix'.

Posted Image
Life is what happens while you're making other plans

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users