I was recently infected by a malware. My firefox suddenly started opening new tabs with advertisements, my Windows security settings were set to OFF, and when I tried to resume Windows Automatic Updates I got an error 1034 (or 1054?). Yesterday I ran a full scan using AVG 8.0 and it detected gadcom.exe. Today, AVG automatically detected SHeur2.JCS
I was able to follow some of the advice given to other users in this website and the problem seems to be gone. However, I'd like any assistance to ensure that the malware was completely removed and there are no residual effects.
Here are the steps I followed:
- Disabled Win XP's System Restore
- Uninstalled AVG (I wanted to just disable it, but I couldn't find any option to simply disable AVG)
- Ran Kaspersky (see attached log "kaspersky report.txt")
- Ran HijackThis (see attached log "HJT BEFORE CF.txt")
- Ran ComboFix (see attached log "ComboFix.txt")
- Ran HijackThis again (see attached log "HJT AFTER CF.txt")
As I was running ComboFix, the following message was displayed within the DOS window where combofix was running: "FINDSTR: Cannot open temp01." Is this something to worry about?
Again, I don't see any of the problems I encounter initially, but if anyone can take a look at the log files and let me know if there are any further actions to be taken I'd really appreciate it.
Thanks in advance for your help.