Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP Freezes Up - Dr. Watson Debugger

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 utpride347

utpride347

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:08 PM

Posted 05 January 2009 - 01:34 AM

Hi guys.

I'm assuming this is a commonly asked question so I hope I'm not troubling anyone with it. Recently I've been having a lot of problems with Dr. Watson Debugger. Specifically I can't open any folder with a media file in it (most commonly video files) without XP locking up and then having to use Ctrl+ALT+Delete to close the non-responsive folder. It happens over and over again. Even when I restart my computer the problem is still there. Folders without movie files tend to "hang" for a long time instead of completely locking up. I've tried googling my problem but none of the fixes offered seemed to help.

I've run hijack this, spybot, malwarebytes, and a virus scan and they've all come back clean. I've also uninstalled and reinstalled my main media player (VLC) and changed around the folder viewing options. I have XP Home Edition with SP3. The only thing new I've done recently was install the codec pack for Windows Media Player v.9 because I downloaded a video that wouldn't play with my VLC player and only worked on Windows Media Player. I otherwise never use Windows Media Player. I also ran a program called "Codec Sniper" that lists the codecs on your computer and tells you if they're broken or not. I removed the codecs listed as broken.

Any help you could give me would be greatly appreciated. I'm headed to bed now, so if you have any questions if might be a couples hours before I respond. Thanks again.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:08 AM

Posted 05 January 2009 - 03:20 AM

I would try a different codec pack to the one you installed.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 utpride347

utpride347
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2009 - 09:10 AM

The codec pack came straight from Windows. It's not in my add/remove programs list. It was something Windows Media Player downloaded on it's own and then I had to click "yes" to install it.

#4 Tehsplink

Tehsplink

• Members
  • 120 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:08 PM

Posted 05 January 2009 - 11:02 AM

I had this error when right clicking, i would have to end explorer.exe and then restart it.
I just disabled the windows debug tool. I cant remember how i did it.

I actually think i used Advanced Systemcare V3's system setting checker to fix it and it worked great.
Download it from http://www.iobit.com/advancedwindowscarepe...ml?Str=download
Please PM me if i have been assisting you and do not reply for 24 hours!

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,546 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:08 AM

Posted 05 January 2009 - 02:52 PM

If codecs are the issue...I would just install the k-Lite package.

http://www.codecguide.com/download_kl.htm

I'd also do a thorough check for malware and run chkdsk /r on the C: partition. Is XP up to date on critical installs?

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 05 January 2009 - 02:55 PM.

#6 utpride347

utpride347
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2009 - 04:39 PM

Thanks for the responses guys. Yes, my XP is updated with all the current updates. I started having the problem after I installed and then uninstalled the K-lite codec pack. I originally installed it to see if I could get a video to play, but it didn't help so I uninstalled it. I read somewhere that FFDShow was in that pack and had the potential to mess up Dr. Watson so I uninstalled it to be sure. The only other codec I installed was the one for Windows Media Player which updated itself on it's own.

I tried the Advanced Systemcare program (thanks for that by the way) but it hasn't resolved the issue. Opening folders and right clicking on certain items continues to freeze or hang up XP.

#7 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:08 AM

Posted 05 January 2009 - 05:02 PM

Try reinstalling the K-lite codec pack and see if that solves the problem.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#8 Tehsplink

Tehsplink

• Members
  • 120 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:08 PM

Posted 05 January 2009 - 05:16 PM

Thanks for the responses guys. Yes, my XP is updated with all the current updates. I started having the problem after I installed and then uninstalled the K-lite codec pack. I originally installed it to see if I could get a video to play, but it didn't help so I uninstalled it. I read somewhere that FFDShow was in that pack and had the potential to mess up Dr. Watson so I uninstalled it to be sure. The only other codec I installed was the one for Windows Media Player which updated itself on it's own.

I tried the Advanced Systemcare program (thanks for that by the way) but it hasn't resolved the issue. Opening folders and right clicking on certain items continues to freeze or hang up XP.

Did you use diagnose system section of Advanced SystemCare V3?
This will disable dr.watson completely and you will no longer have any problems then.

Good luck :thumbsup:
Please PM me if i have been assisting you and do not reply for 24 hours!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users