Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Creating partitions prior to installing XP on a new drive

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 RknRusty

RknRusty

• Members
  • 396 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:28 AM

Posted 04 January 2009 - 10:35 PM

I have an emachines (Gateway) T-6410 computer with an increasingly noisy HD.
It originally came with a 160GB drive which was divided into a main partition which was C:, with XP installed on it. It also had a 3GB FAT32 partition called D: System Restore.

I bought a new 320GB drive today and I'm dividing it up into two partitions, J: and K:. One is for the main OS, which is XP, the other is yet to be determined, maybe UBUNTU, or maybe just data. I'll decide that later.

I want to clone my old drive (C:) and put it all onto one of the partitions on the new disk. Should I make a third small partition formatted with FAT32 and call it System Restore and expect to create restore points there? Will that work, or am I going about this the wrong way?

Also, I don't know whether to make that small partition an extended or primary. Right now I have them all designated as primary, but I will wait for responses here before I go transferring files.

EDIT: Okay, I answered all of my own questions. The new Western Digital drive runs like a dream. I can't believe how much faster it is. I haven't seen this much improvement since I doubled my RAM. I used the trial version of Acronis and cloned my old drive. I can't believe that really works. It does. :>

Thanks,
Rusty

Edited by RknRusty, 05 January 2009 - 12:25 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Tehsplink

Tehsplink

• Members
  • 120 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:28 PM

Posted 05 January 2009 - 11:05 AM

If you've solved your problem then nice, however the system restore drive that was there was probably put there by the computers manufacturer much like HP do. Its so you can revert to the original factory install.
Please PM me if i have been assisting you and do not reply for 24 hours!

#3 RknRusty

RknRusty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 396 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:28 AM

Posted 05 January 2009 - 12:12 PM

If you've solved your problem then nice, however the system restore drive that was there was probably put there by the computers manufacturer much like HP do. Its so you can revert to the original factory install.

I thought that was where the Windows system restore points were kept. Duh... guess I was mistaken. So, where is the Windows restore points folder?

I do have one more question about the drives: For now, I plan to leave my old drive in the case, at least until I'm sure this cloned system is free of glitches. I want to remove the power cable from it to help keep it from over taxing the puny power supply that came in this box, and I want to know if there is any problem with leaving the data cable connected to it, since the two drives share it.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,726 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:28 AM

Posted 05 January 2009 - 02:59 PM

If you want to disconnect one cable to a drive...disconnect both. That way, neither the system nor the BIOS will get confused.

From http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/windows-xp-system-restore-guide/ :

"All restore points are stored in a folder that starts with _restore in the System Volume Information folder found in the root of your individual partitions. This folder is used to store copies of your registry, files, configs, etc. The system volume information folder is only accessible to the System account by default. You can access this folder, though, by adding yourself to the security permissions of this account. Though its advised that you do not do so, I am sure that some of you will poke around in there anyway. Remember, doing this is at your own risk."

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 05 January 2009 - 02:59 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users