Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Fujitsu laptop won't boot

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Marli

Marli

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:17 PM

Posted 04 January 2009 - 10:34 PM

I am not sure what the deal is with my laptop. I was downloading a torrent using utorrent and I left it on overnight, connected to the power because I was trying to download a very large file. Well, in the morning, I woke up in a hurry, ran out of the house and when I got home, I opened my laptop (which was still running) and I had a blank screen. I pressed everything and couldn't get anything to come up so I pushed the power button until it turned off. I tried to restart it and my battery and CPU icons light up on the laptop and then you can hear from the fan and then it just turns off again and tries to reboot itself once again. It keeps doing this maybe 6 or 7 times until my battery button stays lit (as if my laptop was turned on) but I don' t hear the fan anymore and my screen is blank and its basically still off. When it is attempting to restart, I don't even see the usual Fujitsu screen or Windows XP screen or anything.. It doesn't even get that far. I'm not sure if this is a virus or anything but I did leave my Avira Virus protection and all the other programs I use on so I don't know if this is it or what? The download was from a trusty site so I don't think it has anything to do with that. I can't even get it to boot to go into safe mode or anything. Can anyone give me any advice so I don't go spend money trying to fix this somewhere else? Its a Fujitsu N Series 3530 and it's been taken care of. Less than 30 GB of it's 100 has been used but it is 2 years old. Any advice please? I tried taking the battery out and running it without battery and it's the same thing. I don't think it overheated because it is in a well ventilated area.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:17 AM

Posted 05 January 2009 - 12:47 AM

Insert the Windows XP CD into the CD drive, and then restart the computer. Click to select any options that are required to start the computer from the CD drive if you are prompted. When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console. If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot computer, select the installation that you must access from the Recovery Console. When you are prompted, type the Administrator password. If the administrator password is blank, just press ENTER.

Type: chkdsk /r

It's important to have a space before the "/".

To exit the Recovery Console and restart the computer, type exit at the command prompt, and then press ENTER.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 Marli

Marli
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2009 - 01:11 AM

Well I got on another computer, downloaded the ISO file from the Windows website and put it in to see if I could get it to work but nothing pops up. It just keeps doing the same thing.. It sounds as if its fixing to start up and then it just turns off and tries again. I can hear the cd spinning for a second as if it is trying to run it but nothing comes up, it just continues to try to reboot. I read somewhere it might have overheated and something got damaged? I HOPE not. I'm not sure but I believe I bought warranty but I was downloading a torrent so don't they look through your files and see I've been downloading torrents? But I don't think my computer would keep trying to restart if something was really wrong with some part of the hardware?

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2009 - 01:15 AM

Does anything at all show on the screen when you try to boot?
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 Marli

Marli
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2009 - 01:19 AM

Not a thing... no Windows XP logo, no Fujitsu screen... I just get the lights on the keyboard lighting up (as they usually do) like the battery and caps lock and number lock button lighting up then the battery stays lit for a second then two seconds later, they all turn off and once again all turn on again trying to reboot again.... :thumbsup: I hope its nothing unfixable. I have so many pictures I haven't backed up on here.

#6 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2009 - 01:27 AM

I wouldn't say it's unfixable. But unless you feel comfortable opening up the case and tinkering around you're probably going to have to have it repaired.

—George Bernard Shaw

#7 Marli

Marli
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2009 - 01:31 AM

I would feel comfortable if there was a manual or something on how to do it.. I mean how much more harm can I do if it is the motherboard thats the problem. That would already cost too much and if I harm it, I'm sure they can fix it. Do you know of any websites that kinda go step by step explaining how to open it safely or tell you what to not touch or something?

#8 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2009 - 01:38 AM

If you go to the website of the manufacturer of the computer you should be able to download a maintenance manual.

—George Bernard Shaw

#9 Zllio

Zllio

• Members
  • 1,107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:17 PM

Posted 05 January 2009 - 01:48 AM

Hi Marli,

Can you hook up an external monitor to the laptop? Some laptops allow for this. This would give you the information as to whether the fault is in your screen.

Also, do you hear any beeps? If so, please describe them.

Zllio

#10 Marli

Marli
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2009 - 01:50 AM

I didn't see a guide on the site. I'm just going to wait until tomorrow and check to see if I have warranty or not (I'm not sure what I purchased.. 1 year or 3- hopefully 3!) and if I don't, I'm going to open it up and poke around. I had noticed that lately my laptop fan was starting to sound louder in the last half a year or so but I didn't think much of it. Just thought it was getting old or something. :/ oh Well. Thank you so much for your help though!

#11 Marli

Marli
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2009 - 01:53 AM

Zlio-

No no beeps at all. Just the usual noise as usual when its booting up which is the fan. No beeps. Nothing. What sort of cable would I need for that? It has the cable holes so I'm assuming it does. I'm going to try it now and see what I get.

#12 Marli

Marli
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2009 - 02:03 AM

No.. nothing.. I connected the cable I tried restarting it and the screen stayed idle? Well it said "No Signal" then the little power light turned orange but the screen stayed black. :thumbsup: I fear I have broken my computer :flowers: Even if something did happen, can't they get into the storage disk and get my pictures and things?

#13 Zllio

Zllio

• Members
  • 1,107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:17 PM

Posted 05 January 2009 - 02:07 AM

It could well be the fan or something which is causing the cpu to overheat and immediately shut down to protect itself. Dusting out the fan vents can help if the fan is working at all.

I don't know about hooking up external monitors. From what I've read, you probably need a vga cable, but someone else needs to give you the right information about this.

Edited by Zllio, 05 January 2009 - 02:29 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users