Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Introduction

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Singular.mind

Singular.mind

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:03 AM

Posted 04 January 2009 - 09:47 PM

Shalom! I'm Steve Forstein from Kalamazoo, MI. I'm 72, a retired Reform rabbi. I've been fooling around with personal computers for more than 20 years. I can remember having to take the Commodore 64 away from my 26 year old son when he was just 4, because he was getting too addicted with the games we bought him. Anyone remember "Ducks Ahoy?) I thought it was great! Anyway, when we took the computer away from Avi, then Abba (dad) got it.

By the time we were ready to give it back I had a second machine. Again, does anyone remember the SX 64? Commodore's color totable? I started to do business things on it (I was only serving a congregation part-time, so half the week I sold lighting supplies.) I got an older Commodore disk drive with higher capacity than the built in one, and started using Superbase 64 in my business. I learned its programing language and wrote a sales tickler app, and then an invoicing app and kept on going. I ported everything over to an Amiga when the first hard drive came out, and kept going writing modules for the business, until about three years later I had a complete system including inventory, but not including bookkeeping, which I knew nothing about. I got the best bookkeeping program available for the Amiga and used that. It wasn't very good.

Then came the Commodore disaster. They made a fine computer, 2-5 years ahead of its time, but they sure didn't know how to sell it! I could see the end was near, so I finally ported over to a PC when Superbase became available. I continued my computer use even when I came to Michigan to serve two congregations thirty miles apart. I bought a laptop and toted it with me between the two towns. I'm still using a laptop, my third since 1998, just a basic HP that I upgraded to its max, 1 gig of ram. The computer world is passing me by. I can't upgrade some programs because my computer doesn't have enough resources to run them, and I'm not buying a new computer until I absolutely need one.

I'm 72, single after 3 marriages. I have 5 children, 1 woman and 4 men. The older two have given me one granddaughter apiece. I'm in fair health, with a list of ailments as long as my arm. Health was one of the reasons I retired 2 and 1/2 years ago. I live in a senior citizen's coop apartment building in a nice one bedroom apartment. Only one of my children is relatively near me, 50 miles north. I do have a lot of friends from working nine years as their rabbi, and I see them quite often. They were there for me when I was in the hospital and later the nursing home.

I'm glad to be part of this forum and hope I can be useful to you, and maybe you to me. Right now I've got a couple of questions, but I'll ask them in the right place. Thanks for having me and again, shalom!

Steve aka "Singular.Mind"

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:03 AM

Posted 04 January 2009 - 09:56 PM

Hello Singular.mind,nice to meet such a computer veteran. Thanks for joining us and Welcome to Bleeping Computer!!
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users