Updating drivers and installing Windows Updates, including ALL critical updates, is definitely in order before attempting to install SP1. Checking for viruses and malware is also a great idea. Then I would recommend backing up all your data and having a system restore disk (or disk image) available, juuuuust in case something funky happens during updates and it doesn't roll back properly.
If you really just can't install SP1 and have no idea what's going on, I would recommend chatting with Microsoft support
. It's free until March 18, 2009
if you are having SP1 installation issues. You may have to wait to start chatting, and it may take a few hours to resolve, but that may also be your best bet.
I had problems on my laptop (Vista Business Basic) and desktop (Vista Home Premium) with SP1, like steviethec did. Neither would ever install--they'd get to 100% of the last portion of setup and then fail and roll back. And yes, it takes 1.5 to 2 hours per try, which is quite irritating and disruptive to my work and leisure time on the computers. Fortunately, no catastrophic failures resulted from any of these attempts, for me.
My event logs (System Log) showed many occurrences of this event: Event 4373, Servicing (Warning): Windows Servicing identified that package KB936330(Service Pack) is not applicable for this system
. I was up to date on other critical Windows Updates and my drivers.
I mainly got error code 80041315 during these failed attempts, and when you let Windows Help try to find more info on that error, it provides with no answers. After waiting months and seeing that it wouldn't resolve itself, I had Microsoft support chat with me and remotely work on my desktop.
Their first question was, "Do you have any anti-virus software installed?" When I said McAfee Internet Security Suite, they said we had to uninstall it, and that disabling it would be inefficient. I did this through Programs and Features > Uninstall. Note that McAfee recommends you uninstall in this way, then reboot, and then run their Consumer Product Removal Tool
, and then reboot again to completely remove all McAfee software from your system. But I didn't use the MCPR tool while working with Microsoft, and it worked fine. I then did not reboot and set up a very selective startup for next reboot, and we took some actions with some system files. I then rebooted, ran SFC /scannow
and found corrupt files, installed a hotfix for Vista, and then installed SP1 perfectly. Getting McAfee back on my system took some time because a weird McAfee entry had to be deleted from the Startup folder of my Start Menu...but it works now.
Now, onto getting SP1 on my laptop.