Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How from SP3 to SP2?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 FunkyChicka

FunkyChicka

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:47 PM

Posted 04 January 2009 - 08:32 PM

I have been having problems with SP3, after researching I see it could be a problem with my display ATI Radeon X300 because SP2 worked fine with it. With SP3 my computer hangs so I have to restart by pressing the button on my computer.

I can't uninstall SP3 because the spuninst (or something) is missing so I'd really like some help with this please;

So question 1) is there any way I can reinstall SP3 to get the spuninst.exe file back so that I can uninstall and put SP2 back on?

OR

2) Should I reformat by putting in the SP2 disk? Would that be okay if I end up having to reformat? Would I then have just SP2 and no SP3?

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ePost

ePost

• Members
  • 119 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:47 PM

Posted 04 January 2009 - 09:10 PM

Here is how to: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950249

You should reinstall SP3, however. It really enhances your security.

#3 FunkyChicka

FunkyChicka
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2009 - 07:25 AM

I know how to uninstall it, but like I said I don't have the uninstall folder/file and my system restore doesn't go back that far.

But my question was if I use the SP2 disk to reformat the computer, will that make me only have SP2 on my computer and not SP3?

#4 karbo1

karbo1

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2009 - 11:49 AM

I know how to uninstall it, but like I said I don't have the uninstall folder/file and my system restore doesn't go back that far.

But my question was if I use the SP2 disk to reformat the computer, will that make me only have SP2 on my computer and not SP3?

You always have the option to look at the updates before downloading them. If you don't want SP3, you can unckeck it in Windows Update.
Please post back if we found the solution

#5 FunkyChicka

FunkyChicka
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2009 - 12:50 PM

You always have the option to look at the updates before downloading them. If you don't want SP3, you can unckeck it in Windows Update.

I know that. But as it was an XP update, i thought it necessary to have, not knowing that it was screw up my computer. Also, it was an automatic update, I had no idea what microsoft wanted to put on my computer.

All I wish to know is please how to get from SP3 to SP2 when I can't uninstall SP3 at all.

#6 karbo1

karbo1

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2009 - 01:07 PM

Can't you access the SP3 update in your Add/Remove menu? Make sure you click on "Show Updates" in the upper part of the window. That should show you all your Windows updates, including SP3.

In the future, don't enable "Automatic Windows Updates" but instead "Prompt before downloading". You'll be able to decide what updates you want or don't want (SP3).

Edited by karbo1, 05 January 2009 - 01:21 PM.

Please post back if we found the solution

#7 FunkyChicka

FunkyChicka
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2009 - 02:51 PM

Like I said I have tried everything listed in the microsoft article on how to uninstall it. I don't have the spuninst file that it wants so I don't know what to do.

#8 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,089 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:47 PM

Posted 06 January 2009 - 07:29 PM

Method 3 says use System Restore - did that work?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,258 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2009 - 08:06 PM

Well...be aware that, if you should use an earlier SP CD...to try a repair install of XP SP3...you likely will just wind up with a clean install, losing all your previous data.

I tried it a couple of times to see what would happen if I overrode XP's protestations.

So the answer to your question is...yes, you can use an earlier version but don't be surprised if it turns into a clean install, rather than a repair.

Louis

#10 FunkyChicka

FunkyChicka
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2009 - 10:00 AM

It doesn't matter. We're getting a guy in to do it for us. I dont care if he wipes my computer clean or whatever, I just want SP3 off.

But thanks for all replies...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users