Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

AVG's apparent weaknesses

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Legionofone

Legionofone

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:16 PM

Posted 04 January 2009 - 08:27 PM

to start please excuse my internet grammar

I just got done clearing the vundo virus off my computer and have become more and more angry with AVG... it seems that any decent virus now days just destroys AVG in seconds... it doesn't even seem to put up a fight... vundo killed AVG, shut down my windows security center and then blocked my web pages... the 2nd two things are normal but for a very common virus to be able to disable a anti virus without warning makes me think its a very weak anti virus...

does anyone know of a better free anti virus, or should i give up on actually having immunity from virus and just deal with them as they come alone...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Barbaramay

Barbaramay

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:16 PM

Posted 04 January 2009 - 09:43 PM

You could try avaast, it is a free download from filehippo.com. uninstall avg and install avaast it is far superior.
Cheers
Barbaramay :thumbsup:

#3 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,416 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:16 PM

Posted 04 January 2009 - 10:37 PM

It is actually not that uncommon any more. They are writing them meaner and tougher. In fact we now have speeches for trying to dodge the malware and get various tools to run. Are you sure it's gone?
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2009 - 12:25 AM

...... or should i give up on actually having immunity from virus

You'll never have immunity from a virus.
There's no Antivirus program that can deliver, that.
There are no 100% guarantee's.
As boopme said, "They are writing them meaner and tougher.", and faster, than the anti-malware vendors can keep up with them.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 Legionofone

Legionofone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2009 - 04:34 PM

i just found it ridiculous that AVG not only doesn't detect it, i would be fine with that, but that AVG doesn't have enough security in its own processes that a virus can corrupt the program... My guess is that Vundo does this to other anti-viruses and if i had actually paid for AVG i would be FURIOUS!!!! But since i didn't pay a dime for it i cant complain... i basically use AVG to keep windows happy about having a anti virus and i use tools like Mbam Spybot and so on to keep myself clean and protected...

Edited by Legionofone, 05 January 2009 - 04:36 PM.

#6 Guest_The weatherman_*

Guest_The weatherman_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 05 January 2009 - 06:26 PM

Hi Legionofone,
Don't worry about you grammer here to much, I use Avast free and it works great for me.
If your interested take a look here, http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/how-to-use-avast-antivirus/ :thumbsup:

#7 Tehsplink

Tehsplink

• Members
  • 120 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2009 - 08:20 PM

while MBAM, Spybot, Superantispyware and other programs are good, they tend to cover just a certain type of threat. anti-virus software tends to drift into other sectors but it is built to remove viruses instead of just adware, or malware etc.

I have actually today installed Avira AntiVir and have found it to be very nice and easy to use. it has lots of options in the expert mode which is easily enabled by simply checking a box in the preferences section, the updates engine is good and it has more features than most other software.

I cant actually work Avast out, if anyone could write a quick guide or something then that would be great because it confuses me.
Please PM me if i have been assisting you and do not reply for 24 hours!

#8 Kandinsky

Kandinsky

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:16 AM

Posted 06 January 2009 - 03:14 AM

don't feel bad. I have a virus that took over an updated Avast and then a cd install of a paid AV- Norton! Probley the most popular paid AV. Took over both of those program's autoupdate sections and used them as it's own little connection. Did the same thing with firefox and several other programs. Even with almost everything blocked by zone alarm something seems to be seeping in slowly somehow.

There is no 100% I don't think.

Except I used to use a little free program that esafe put out, I think it was just called esafe. It used what's called a "sandbox" or what it now calls a "ghost machine". It makes a copy of all your computer files and sets up a dummy computer within your computer for the trojans to attack all they want. Worked really well I thought. But now it's transformed into a corporate program called gateway and looking on google right now I see prices from $999 to $2160 for it. It guarantees 100%, but I kinda doubt it.

I think Avast is a good AV. Even if you could afford ES Gateway, it would be 10 times as hard to figure out as Avast. Google for a tutorial on Avast, I'm sure someone has posted one on the web somewhere. I really like Zone Alarm as a firewall too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users