Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard drive broken? Oh no...help please!

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 sunnysky

sunnysky

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:42 AM

Posted 04 January 2009 - 07:51 PM

I'm so worried. I don't know what to do. I have a Maxtor One Touch III mini hard drive, which I've been using for the past two years or so. It was working fine just a few days ago, but just today, I plugged it into my computer and nothing appeared. I went to "My Computer" and there was nothing--no sign of any hard drive. Then my computer froze, so I shut it down and plugged the hard drive into another computer. Same thing. Plugged it into my 3rd computer, and nothing except strange clicking sounds coming from the hard drive.

Oh my g...I'm seriously worried...I have years of photo and important data that I cannot bear to lose!!

Can someone help me? Anything I can do? Is the hard drive broken (nightmare come alive)? Can it be fixed?

Thanks so much!

Edited by sunnysky, 04 January 2009 - 07:51 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,246 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:42 AM

Posted 05 January 2009 - 06:30 PM

Hi :thumbsup:.

Understand that an external drive is really two components, rather than one. So, if an external drive doesn't appear to be working, it could be one of two things: the drive or the enclosure.

First thing I'd suggest is to remove the drive (the real hard drive) from the enclosure it's currently in. The warranty period has expired (1 year) and there's nothing to lose.

Then, I would connect that to the system as a secondary hard drive, ensuring that the jumpers match up with the jumper setting of the other drive on the same cable connecting to the motherboard. If there is no other drive on the same cable, ignore the jumpers and just connect it to the end connector.

I would then check that the drive is properly recognized in the BIOS.

I would then reboot the system and see if the drive is properly detected in My Computer. If it is, great. If not, then I would check Disk Management and see if it is reflected there.

If it is not reflected in Disk Management, I would start thinking "data recovery software."

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users