Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP SERVICE PACK QUESTION

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Kim25

Kim25

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:13 PM

Posted 04 January 2009 - 07:14 PM

I need to do a reinstall of windows xp as my computer is corrupted from installing service pack 2 awhile back. I have a dell computer that is about 4 years old and the reinstall will put service pack 1a back on my computer again.
My question is: Does microsoft still offer service pack 2, or will I have to go to service pack 3 after my reinstall of xp? Thanks!

Kim

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ePost

ePost

• Members
  • 119 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:13 PM

Posted 04 January 2009 - 07:28 PM

You can go directly from SP1 to SP3. Service Pack 2 is also a part of Service Pack 3. It's made that way by Microsoft to save space on your PC. If you installed SP2 anyway it would get overwritten by the SP3 install. :thumbsup:

Edited by ePost, 04 January 2009 - 07:34 PM.

#3 ePost

ePost

• Members
  • 119 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2009 - 07:32 PM

Here you have it from the horses own mouth - it's best that you read it: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322389/en-us

Edited by ePost, 04 January 2009 - 07:33 PM.

#4 Kim25

Kim25
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2009 - 07:54 PM

Thanks for the info! I am nervous about installing service pack 3 since it is still somewhat new. I think I know the reason that service pack 2 gave me problems---I didn't do my driver updates first before I downloaded it. Anyway, I guess I will go with SVP3 this time...after I update all my drivers. Can anyone tell me what the differences are between doing a manual reinstall from a reinstallation CD versus doing a Dell PC Restore by Symantec (for Microsoft Windows XP) that is on my hardrive. Dell says that is the best way to go....much quicker and easier.

#5 ePost

ePost

• Members
  • 119 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2009 - 08:02 PM

Having had a Dell for 3 years I would definitely go for the CD install. Dell's option are likely to reinstall all their junkware. Or crabware. These absurd and useless programs of Dell's own making. On some computers one even see that old and hopelessly outdated anti-malware programs reappear. Getting rid of Norton/Symantec is a nightmare.

But let's hear what others say...

Edited by ePost, 04 January 2009 - 08:06 PM.

#6 ePost

ePost

• Members
  • 119 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2009 - 08:08 PM

PS: Service Pack 3 is a major step ahead. You increase your security and PC speed. Don't worry about that. It's the right thing to do!

#7 Kim25

Kim25
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2009 - 08:12 PM

well...the CD reinstall is from dell (ugh), I requested it since I didn't have one and they sent it to me, it has service pack 2 on it, but no drivers are included. That's what bothers me. I have to go to their web site and download all the drivers and frankly it is very confusing which ones that I need. I went there and looked around & it was a little overwhelming! If I do the pc restore from my hardrive it will at least put the drivers back, although I will have to update them and the service pack.

#8 ePost

ePost

• Members
  • 119 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2009 - 09:17 PM

Well, then go for that option. Since both methods are new to you I guess you won't know what's best unless you try. It was not very nice of Dell not to put the full recovery CD set in the mail. I think you should call them again so that you have the full kit the next time. The same happened to me. I'm not buying from that company ever again. Period.

#9 rosiesdad

rosiesdad

• Members
  • 220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:13 PM

Posted 04 January 2009 - 09:29 PM

I have upgraded 7 dell desktop computers to SP3. No issues.
Before you start the reinstall, go to http://support.dell.com/ and put in your dell system and it will tell you what drivers to download. Do so and then burn them to a cd.
Dell could sell you a driver cd for the model of computer you have, or look on ebay for a used one.
I have reloaded xp on several Dells, it usually goes very smooth.
I would also go to microsoft and download SP3 to a cd, that way you have the file to use anytime.

#10 Kim25

Kim25
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2009 - 10:09 PM

Hey Rosiesdad, did you use the reinstallation CD when you did it? Thanks for your info!

#11 Kim25

Kim25
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2009 - 10:23 PM

Epost, what Brand will you go with next time you buy a computer? I want a new one when Windows 7 comes out, but I really don't think I want to go with Dell anymore either. I just don't know which brand to change to.

#12 ePost

ePost

• Members
  • 119 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2009 - 10:36 PM

Good question. I have the same idea: a new PC with Windows 7. But it's too early to make up ones mind because quite a lot of new PCs will pop out on the market in the coming months. But I've been watching for a very long time and I listen for things that are not said. And I've noticed, that people with Lenovo notebooks don't say much.

A very good sign: they don't complain.

I also found out that IBM/Lenovo update all the drivers automatically just like Microsoft update all their programs. All drivers and other Lenovo program updates arrive when you sleep. IBM even update the BIOS remotely. I called them and was told that they take full responsibility for errors.

So that's what I google now and then. What users say about Lenovo/IBM. And it looks very fine.

What specific laptop of theirs I should have I haven't looked into yet. But I think my next one will be a Lenovo/IBM laptop. Searches on Google has let me to believe that I can rule most others PC brands out.

Edited by ePost, 04 January 2009 - 10:41 PM.

#13 Kim25

Kim25
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2009 - 10:54 PM

Wow! IBM/Lenovo update all the drivers automatically, I love that! Thanks for that info, I will take note of that when it's time to buy. Thanks!

#14 Luser

Luser

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2009 - 07:43 AM

Epost, what Brand will you go with next time you buy a computer? I want a new one when Windows 7 comes out, but I really don't think I want to go with Dell anymore either. I just don't know which brand to change to.

IBM/Lenovo for sure iw installed and done maintenance on about 30 laptops and 10 Thinkcenters last year (2008) and never had any problems with em. The Software that comes from Lenovo is pretty solid too.
Dont want to have problems with your computer?
Solution : install a good free anti virus, anti spyware & and stay away from misleading applications. Update your OS and vital programs as often as you can, to shut down those open security holes.
Stay away from shareware and trailware applications, avoid installing browser addins and toolbars. Read up on things before trying new applications.

Learn more about : Viruses, malmware & trojans | Need a bootdisk? | Want to know what that EventID mean? | Cybercrimes what is that?

#15 rosiesdad

rosiesdad

• Members
  • 220 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2009 - 08:41 AM

Hey Rosiesdad, did you use the reinstallation CD when you did it? Thanks for your info!

I use the Dell XP disk that came with the computer (+slipstreamed SP3), and their driver disks all the time. So far no real issues.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users