Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System Recovery

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 amyl

amyl

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:04 PM

Posted 04 January 2009 - 07:09 PM

My 2000xp home edition desktop runs like a slug. I did system recovery and am re-installing Windows XP. Will this System recovery help with this slow comp alone?

Or do I need to run the scan and report my log back here etc....

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,759 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2009 - 08:13 PM

Hi,please have a look at these 2 topics,then ask what you need again.

Slow Computer?, Use this troubleshooting checklist
Slow Computer/browser? Check Here First; It May Not Be Malware
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 daddar

daddar

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:04 PM

Posted 05 January 2009 - 03:31 PM

Are you talking about system restore? If yes, did you have a virus before you used it?

#4 amyl

amyl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2009 - 06:21 PM

Are you talking about system restore? If yes, did you have a virus before you used it?

No it was system recovery. Then I had to re-add Windows XP via installation cd. I don't believe there was a virus. The comp is running fine today...it wiped out all programs and I am re-adding the ones I need.

Only problem is with the speakers...It states that "active mixer device is not available" to go to control panel to add. I put in audio cd and windows media player said "cannot play because there is a problem with your sound device. Device may not be installed" I don't have a installation cd for the speakers themselves....is there anyway to install these. These plug in as a mouse would for a desktop...no usb.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,254 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:04 PM

Posted 05 January 2009 - 07:35 PM

Do you have a drivers CD?

Manufacturer and model of your system?

Sounds to me like your sound drivers are not installed. The sound mixer is normally installed when the sound drivers are.

If you look in Device Manager (Start/Run...type devmgmt.msc and hit Enter), there may be a yellow or red marking in the area of Sound, Video and Game Controllers (or it might be listed as unknown device). This would indicate that drivers are missing for something.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 08 January 2009 - 09:56 AM.

#6 nova413

nova413

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2009 - 01:37 PM

Do you have a driver's CD?

Manufacturer and model of your system?

Sounds to me like your sound drivers are not installed. The sound mixer is normally installed when the sound drivers are.

If you look in Device Manager (Start/Run...type devmgmt.msc and hit Enter), there may be a yellow or red marking in the area of Sound, Video and Game Controllers (or it might be listed as unknown device). This would indicate that drivers are missing for something.

Louis

Is there a site that I can find this driver if it's not in device manager? When I looked in device manager I didn't see the driver.
I am using my friends log in to type this so it's the same person lol

Edited by nova413, 06 January 2009 - 01:38 PM.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,254 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2009 - 01:55 PM

Did you see any markings at all which might indicate a problem?

If you tell us your system manufacturer and model (e.g., Dell Dimension 4000), we can look for any drivers which might apply to that system.

Louis

#8 amyl

amyl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2009 - 02:39 PM

If you tell us your system manufacturer and model (e.g., Dell Dimension 4000), we can look for any drivers which might apply to that system.

Louis

When I looked at Device manager last night I seen no markings or colors with exclaimation on the list but I couldn't find a name that matched the speaker name or anything relating to sound/audio (I dunno what driver name would be though). I know that when I try to pull up Windows Media Player or play a cd is states that no device is found.

I am not at home...this is my friend's comp. I know it's HP Pavillion she said it says F1503 but I think that's the monitor #.

#9 amyl

amyl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2009 - 09:35 AM

Louis

When I looked at Device manager last night I seen no markings or colors with exclaimation on the list but I couldn't find a name that matched the speaker name or anything relating to sound/audio (I dunno what driver name would be though). I know that when I try to pull up Windows Media Player or play a cd is states that no device is found.

I am not at home...this is my friend's comp. I know it's HP Pavillion she said it says F1503 but I think that's the monitor #.

HP Pavilion a324x.

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,254 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2009 - 10:02 AM

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwar...;product=376085

The first download listed would be the audio driver package.

I would download that and attempt to install same, using the procedures outlined for updating in How to update a Windows hardware driver - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/how-to-update-a-windows-hardware-driver/

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users