Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows XP, "update.exe" tries to start when computer starts

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 mike11986

mike11986

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:41 AM

Posted 04 January 2009 - 06:38 PM

I have an open file security warning that comes up when my computer starts. The file, update.exe, is from an unknown publisher and is located in c:\windows\system32. When I try to look for the file, it is not there. I have tried some stuff on this site and I couldn't find the process in the recommended autoruns program.

I believe I was infected when I opened a file with an XBOX 360 logo as the icon. I was looking for codes for wii points, and honestly, I should have known better. I scanned the file with VIPRE prior to opening it, and since it found nothing, I figured it was ok. Full virus scans of my computer (using VIPRE) have yielded nothing helpful.

Will a system restore solve the problem? If not, what should I do?

Here is the link to the youtube video I found that convinced me to download the file:
LinkRemoved
Thanks in advance for the help!

Edited by garmanma, 04 January 2009 - 07:22 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:41 AM

Posted 04 January 2009 - 07:23 PM

Let's see if you're infected
--------------

Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and save it to your desktop.
  • Make sure you are connected to the Internet.
  • Double-click on mbam-setup.exe to install the application.
  • When the installation begins, follow the prompts and do not make any changes to default settings.
  • When installation has finished, make sure you leave both of these checked:
    • Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
    • Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • Then click Finish.
  • MBAM will automatically start and you will be asked to update the program before performing a scan. If an update is found, the program will automatically update itself. Press the OK button to close that box and continue. If you encounter any problems while downloading the updates, manually download them from here and just double-click on mbam-rules.exe to install.
  • On the Scanner tab:
    • Make sure the "Perform Quick Scan" option is selected.
    • Then click on the Scan button.
  • If asked to select the drives to scan, leave all the drives selected and click on the Start Scan button.
  • The scan will begin and "Scan in progress" will show at the top. It may take some time to complete so please be patient.
  • When the scan is finished, a message box will say "The scan completed successfully. Click 'Show Results' to display all objects found".
  • Click OK to close the message box and continue with the removal process.
  • Back at the main Scanner screen, click on the Show Results button to see a list of any malware that was found.
  • Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
  • When removal is completed, a log report will open in Notepad.
  • The log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
  • Copy and paste the contents of that report in your next reply and exit MBAM.
Note: If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you may be asked to reboot your computer so it can proceed with the disinfection process. Regardless if prompted to restart the computer or not, please do so immediately. Failure to reboot normally (not into safe mode) will prevent MBAM from removing all the malware. MBAM may make changes to your registry as part of its disinfection routine. If you're using other security programs that detect registry changes, they may alert you after scanning with MBAM. Please permit the program to allow the changes.
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 mike11986

mike11986
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2009 - 07:53 PM

It found what's probably the source of my problem. I'll post again in a few minutes and let you know what happens after I restart my computer.

Here is the log:
Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.32
Database version: 1621
Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3

1/5/2009 7:52:03 PM
mbam-log-2009-01-05 (19-52-03).txt

Scan type: Quick Scan
Objects scanned: 51760
Time elapsed: 9 minute(s), 2 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 0
Registry Values Infected: 2
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 1

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Registry Values Infected:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\Windows Updates (Backdoor.Bot) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServices\windows updates (Backdoor.Bot) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:
C:\WINDOWS\system32\update.exe (Backdoor.Bot) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

#4 mike11986

mike11986
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2009 - 08:30 PM

The box did not pop up! Anything else I should know regarding this problem?

#5 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2009 - 09:31 PM

A couple more passes to make:
------------------------

Please reboot the computer
Open MBAM and click Update tab, select Check for Updates,when done
click Scanner tab,select FULL scan
After scan click Remove Selected, Post new scan log for review
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#6 mike11986

mike11986
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2009 - 10:00 PM

Nothing found! Anything else?

MBAM Log:
Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.32
Database version: 1635

1/9/2009 9:58:44 PM
mbam-log-2009-01-09 (21-58-44).txt

Scan type: Full Scan (C:\|D:\|)
Objects scanned: 236266
Time elapsed: 2 hour(s), 48 minute(s), 18 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 0
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 0

Memory Processes Infected:

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:

#7 extremeboy

extremeboy

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,975 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2009 - 10:34 PM

Hello.

Just wanted to warn you on one of those files that was identified as a "backdoor".

Posted ImageBackdoor Threat
Unfortunatly One or more of the identified infections is a backdoor trojan.

This allows hackers to remotely control your computer, steal critical system information and download and execute files.

I would counsel you to disconnect this PC from the Internet immediately. If you do any banking or other financial transactions on the PC or if it should contain any other sensitive information, please get to a known clean computer and change all passwords where applicable, and it would be wise to contact those same financial institutions to apprise them of your situation.

Though the trojan has been identified and can be killed, because of it's backdoor functionality, your PC is very likely compromised and there is no way to be sure your computer can ever again be trusted. Many experts in the security community believe that once infected with this type of trojan, the best course of action would be a reformat and reinstall of the OS. Please read these for more information:

How Do I Handle Possible Identify Theft, Internet Fraud and CC Fraud?
When Should I Format, How Should I Reinstall

We can still clean this machine but I can't guarantee that it will be 100% secure afterwards. Let me know what you decide to do.

If you want to continue follow the stpes below:
Download and Run SDFix
You can find complete instructions on running SDFix in the link below:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/131299/how-to-use-sdfix/

I suggest you read over the instructions on how to boot into Safe Mode and then print these instructions out or save them in Notepad because you won't have access to this page while in Safe Mode.

SDfix is for Windows 2000 and Windows XP only,
  • Download SDfix setup onto your desktop.
  • Run the installer. Leave the install location at your system root.
  • After the install, boot into Safe Mode(refer below)
  • Click your Start Menu. Click Run. Type in c:\sdfix\runthis.bat. Hit OK.
  • The prompt window will open. Type Y and hit Enter.
  • Wait for the scan to finish.
  • You will be prompted to restart. Press anykey to do so. Allow Sdfix to boot the computer into normal boot.
  • At reboot, the prompt window will pop-up, along with a log (C:\rapport.txt) shortly after. Copy the contents of the log back in your next reply.
How to Boot into Safe Mode

Start in Safe Mode Using the F8 method:
  • Restart the computer.
  • As soon as the BIOS is loaded begin tapping the F8 key until the boot menu appears.
  • Use your arrow keys to navigate and highlight Safe Mode.
  • Hit Enter.
  • You will now be asked to choose your operating system. Again, use the arrow keys to select Microsoft Windows XP.
  • Hit Enter.
Your computer will proceed to booting into Safe Mode. During the boot process, you may see random code go past your screen. Simply wait for it to pass. Your computer should boot like usually, except with Safe Mode written in the corners of your screen. Your screen may also appear to be a different size because the video drivers are not loaded properly in Safe Mode.

After the boot, you will be asked whether you wish to use system restore, or to continue to Safe Mode. Select OK to choose Safe mode.

Download and Run Scan with GMER

We will use GMER to scan for rootkits.
  • Download gmer.zip and save to your desktop.
    Alternate Download Site 1
    Alternate Download Site 2
  • Unzip/extract the file to its own folder. (Click here for information on how to do this if not sure. Win 2000 users click here.
  • When you have done this, disconnect from the Internet and close all running programs.
    There is a small chance this application may crash your computer so save any work you have open.
  • Double-click on Gmer.exe to start the program.
  • Allow the gmer.sys driver to load if asked.
  • If it gives you a warning at program start about rootkit activity and asks if you want to run a scan...click NO.
  • Click the >>>
  • Click on Settings, then check the first five settings:
    • System Protection and Tracing
    • Processes
    • Save created processes to the log
    • Drivers
    • Save loaded drivers to the log
  • You will be prompted to restart your computer. Please do so.
After the reboot, run Gmer again and click on the Rootkit tab.
  • Look at the right hand side (under Files) and uncheck all drives with the exception of your C drive.
  • Make sure all other boxes on the right of the screen are checked, EXCEPT for Show All.
  • Click on the Scan and wait for the scan to finish.
    Note: Before scanning, make sure all other running programs are closed and no other actions like a scheduled antivirus scan will occur while this scan completes. Also do not use your computer during the scan. You will know that the scan is done when the Stop buttons turns back to Scan.
  • When completed, click on the Copy button and right-click on your Desktop, choose New>Text document. Once the file is created, open it and right-click again and choose Paste. Save the file as gmer.txt and copy the information in your next reply.
If GMER doesn't work in Normal Mode try running it in Safe Mode

Important!:Please do not select the Show all checkbox during the scan..

Post back with:
-SDFix log
-GMER log
-How's your computer running?

With Regards,
Extremeboy
Note: Please do not PM me asking for help, instead please post it in the correct forum requesting for help. Help requests via the PM system will be ignored.

If I'm helping you and I don't reply within 48 hours please feel free to send me a PM.

The help you receive here is always free but if you wish to show your appreciation, you may wish to Posted Image.

#8 mike11986

mike11986
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2009 - 02:59 PM

I have had no issues as of right now. Does everything look clean now?

SDFIX log:

SDFix: Version 1.240
Run by Michael on Sat 01/10/2009 at 01:16 PM

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
Running From: C:\sdfix

Checking Services :

Restoring Default Security Values
Restoring Default Hosts File

Rebooting

Checking Files :

No Trojan Files Found

Removing Temp Files

ADS Check :

Final Check :

catchme 0.3.1361.2 W2K/XP/Vista - rootkit/stealth malware detector by Gmer, http://www.gmer.net
Rootkit scan 2009-01-10 13:34:03
Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 NTFS

scanning hidden processes ...

scanning hidden services & system hive ...

scanning hidden registry entries ...

scanning hidden files ...

scan completed successfully
hidden processes: 0
hidden services: 0
hidden files: 0

Remaining Services :

Authorized Application Key Export:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\services\sharedaccess\parameters\firewallpolicy\standardprofile\authorizedapplications\list]
"%windir%\\system32\\sessmgr.exe"="%windir%\\system32\\sessmgr.exe:*:enabled:@xpsp2res.dll,-22019"
"C:\\Program Files\\Common Files\\AOL\\Loader\\aolload.exe"="C:\\Program Files\\Common Files\\AOL\\Loader\\aolload.exe:*:Enabled:AOL Loader"
"C:\\Program Files\\AIM6\\aim6.exe"="C:\\Program Files\\AIM6\\aim6.exe:*:Enabled:AIM"
"C:\\Program Files\\Common Files\\AOL\\acs\\AOLDial.exe"="C:\\Program Files\\Common Files\\AOL\\acs\\AOLDial.exe:*:Enabled:AOL Connectivity Service Dialer"
"C:\\Program Files\\Common Files\\AOL\\acs\\AOLacsd.exe"="C:\\Program Files\\Common Files\\AOL\\acs\\AOLacsd.exe:*:Enabled:AOL Connectivity Service"
"C:\\Program Files\\Common Files\\AOL\\1225943684\\ee\\aolsoftware.exe"="C:\\Program Files\\Common Files\\AOL\\1225943684\\ee\\aolsoftware.exe:*:Enabled:AOL Shared Components"
"C:\\Program Files\\AOL 9.1\\waol.exe"="C:\\Program Files\\AOL 9.1\\waol.exe:*:Enabled:AOL"
"C:\\Program Files\\Common Files\\AOL\\TopSpeed\\3.0\\aoltpsd3.exe"="C:\\Program Files\\Common Files\\AOL\\TopSpeed\\3.0\\aoltpsd3.exe:*:Enabled:AOL TopSpeed"
"C:\\Program Files\\Common Files\\AOL\\System Information\\sinf.exe"="C:\\Program Files\\Common Files\\AOL\\System Information\\sinf.exe:*:Enabled:AOL System Information"
"%windir%\\Network Diagnostic\\xpnetdiag.exe"="%windir%\\Network Diagnostic\\xpnetdiag.exe:*:Enabled:@xpsp3res.dll,-20000"
"C:\\Program Files\\uTorrent\\uTorrent.exe"="C:\\Program Files\\uTorrent\\uTorrent.exe:*:Enabled:ęTorrent"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\services\sharedaccess\parameters\firewallpolicy\domainprofile\authorizedapplications\list]
"%windir%\\system32\\sessmgr.exe"="%windir%\\system32\\sessmgr.exe:*:enabled:@xpsp2res.dll,-22019"
"%windir%\\Network Diagnostic\\xpnetdiag.exe"="%windir%\\Network Diagnostic\\xpnetdiag.exe:*:Enabled:@xpsp3res.dll,-20000"

Remaining Files :

Files with Hidden Attributes :

Tue 3 Jun 2008 46,432 A..H. --- "C:\Program Files\AOL 9.1\AOLphx.exe"
Tue 3 Jun 2008 54,624 A..H. --- "C:\Program Files\AOL 9.1\AOLphxex.exe"
Tue 3 Jun 2008 33,120 A..H. --- "C:\Program Files\AOL 9.1\rbm.exe"
Mon 14 Apr 2008 1,695,232 ..SH. --- "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe"
Mon 14 Apr 2008 60,416 A.SH. --- "C:\Program Files\Outlook Express\msimn.exe"
Thu 6 Nov 2008 0 A.SH. --- "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\DRM\Cache\Indiv01.tmp"
Wed 5 Nov 2008 96,072 ...H. --- "C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\TopSpeed\3.0\WBUnins.exe"
Thu 6 Nov 2008 53,146 A..H. --- "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\visualstudio\7.1\vs000223.tmp"

Finished!

GMER log:
GMER 1.0.14.14536 - http://www.gmer.net
Rootkit scan 2009-01-10 14:52:06

---- System - GMER 1.0.14 ----

SSDT \SystemRoot\system32\drivers\sbaphd.sys (Sunbelt ActiveProtection hook driver/Sunbelt Software) ZwCreateKey [0xAD0D94D0]
SSDT \SystemRoot\system32\drivers\sbaphd.sys (Sunbelt ActiveProtection hook driver/Sunbelt Software) ZwSetValueKey [0xAD0D9520]

---- User IAT/EAT - GMER 1.0.14 ----

IAT C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\ACS\AOLAcsd.exe[1988] @ C:\WINDOWS\system32\ADVAPI32.dll [KERNEL32.dll!LoadLibraryExW] [6BFA9DE1] C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\AOLDiag\tbdiag.dll (AOL Diagnostics/AOL LLC)
IAT C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\ACS\AOLAcsd.exe[1988] @ C:\WINDOWS\system32\ADVAPI32.dll [KERNEL32.dll!SetUnhandledExceptionFilter] [6BFA9E6E] C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\AOLDiag\tbdiag.dll (AOL Diagnostics/AOL LLC)
IAT C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\ACS\AOLAcsd.exe[1988] @ C:\WINDOWS\system32\ADVAPI32.dll [KERNEL32.dll!LoadLibraryW] [6BFA9CCD] C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\AOLDiag\tbdiag.dll (AOL Diagnostics/AOL LLC)
IAT C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\ACS\AOLAcsd.exe[1988] @ C:\WINDOWS\system32\ADVAPI32.dll [KERNEL32.dll!LoadLibraryA] [6BFA9C46] C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\AOLDiag\tbdiag.dll (AOL Diagnostics/AOL LLC)
IAT C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\ACS\AOLAcsd.exe[1988] @ C:\WINDOWS\system32\RPCRT4.dll [KERNEL32.dll!LoadLibraryA] [6BFA9C46] C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\AOLDiag\tbdiag.dll (AOL Diagnostics/AOL LLC)
IAT C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\ACS\AOLAcsd.exe[1988] @ C:\WINDOWS\system32\RPCRT4.dll [KERNEL32.dll!LoadLibraryW] [6BFA9CCD] C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\AOLDiag\tbdiag.dll (AOL Diagnostics/AOL LLC)
IAT C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\ACS\AOLAcsd.exe[1988] @ C:\WINDOWS\system32\RPCRT4.dll [KERNEL32.dll!SetUnhandledExceptionFilter] [6BFA9E6E] C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\AOLDiag\tbdiag.dll (AOL Diagnostics/AOL LLC)
IAT C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\ACS\AOLAcsd.exe[1988] @ C:\WINDOWS\system32\Secur32.dll [KERNEL32.dll!SetUnhandledExceptionFilter] [6BFA9E6E] C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\AOLDiag\tbdiag.dll (AOL Diagnostics/AOL LLC)
IAT C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\ACS\AOLAcsd.exe[1988] @ C:\WINDOWS\system32\Secur32.dll [KERNEL32.dll!LoadLibraryA] [6BFA9C46] C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\AOLDiag\tbdiag.dll (AOL Diagnostics/AOL LLC)
IAT C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\ACS\AOLAcsd.exe[1988] @ C:\WINDOWS\system32\Secur32.dll [KERNEL32.dll!LoadLibraryW] [6BFA9CCD] C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\AOLDiag\tbdiag.dll (AOL Diagnostics/AOL LLC)
IAT C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\ACS\AOLAcsd.exe[1988] @ C:\WINDOWS\system32\GDI32.dll [KERNEL32.dll!SetUnhandledExceptionFilter] [6BFA9E6E] C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\AOLDiag\tbdiag.dll (AOL Diagnostics/AOL LLC)
IAT C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\ACS\AOLAcsd.exe[1988] @ C:\WINDOWS\system32\GDI32.dll [KERNEL32.dll!LoadLibraryExW] [6BFA9DE1] C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\AOLDiag\tbdiag.dll (AOL Diagnostics/AOL LLC)
IAT C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\ACS\AOLAcsd.exe[1988] @ C:\WINDOWS\system32\GDI32.dll [KERNEL32.dll!LoadLibraryA] [6BFA9C46] C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\AOLDiag\tbdiag.dll (AOL Diagnostics/AOL LLC)
IAT C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\ACS\AOLAcsd.exe[1988] @ C:\WINDOWS\system32\GDI32.dll [KERNEL32.dll!LoadLibraryW] [6BFA9CCD] C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\AOLDiag\tbdiag.dll (AOL Diagnostics/AOL LLC)
IAT C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\ACS\AOLAcsd.exe[1988] @ C:\WINDOWS\system32\USER32.dll [KERNEL32.dll!LoadLibraryExW] [6BFA9DE1] C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\AOLDiag\tbdiag.dll (AOL Diagnostics/AOL LLC)
IAT C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\ACS\AOLAcsd.exe[1988] @ C:\WINDOWS\system32\USER32.dll [KERNEL32.dll!LoadLibraryA] [6BFA9C46] C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\AOLDiag\tbdiag.dll (AOL Diagnostics/AOL LLC)
IAT C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\ACS\AOLAcsd.exe[1988] @ C:\WINDOWS\system32\USER32.dll [KERNEL32.dll!SetUnhandledExceptionFilter] [6BFA9E6E] C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\AOLDiag\tbdiag.dll (AOL Diagnostics/AOL LLC)
IAT C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\ACS\AOLAcsd.exe[1988] @ C:\WINDOWS\system32\USER32.dll [KERNEL32.dll!LoadLibraryW] [6BFA9CCD] C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\AOLDiag\tbdiag.dll (AOL Diagnostics/AOL LLC)
IAT C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\ACS\AOLAcsd.exe[1988] @ C:\WINDOWS\system32\SHLWAPI.dll [KERNEL32.dll!SetUnhandledExceptionFilter] [6BFA9E6E] C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\AOLDiag\tbdiag.dll (AOL Diagnostics/AOL LLC)
IAT C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\ACS\AOLAcsd.exe[1988] @ C:\WINDOWS\system32\SHLWAPI.dll [KERNEL32.dll!LoadLibraryExA] [6BFA9D54] C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\AOLDiag\tbdiag.dll (AOL Diagnostics/AOL LLC)
IAT C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\ACS\AOLAcsd.exe[1988] @ C:\WINDOWS\system32\SHLWAPI.dll [KERNEL32.dll!LoadLibraryExW] [6BFA9DE1] C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\AOLDiag\tbdiag.dll (AOL Diagnostics/AOL LLC)
IAT C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\ACS\AOLAcsd.exe[1988] @ C:\WINDOWS\system32\SHLWAPI.dll [KERNEL32.dll!LoadLibraryW] [6BFA9CCD] C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\AOLDiag\tbdiag.dll (AOL Diagnostics/AOL LLC)
IAT C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\ACS\AOLAcsd.exe[1988] @ C:\WINDOWS\system32\SHLWAPI.dll [KERNEL32.dll!LoadLibraryA] [6BFA9C46] C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\AOLDiag\tbdiag.dll (AOL Diagnostics/AOL LLC)
IAT C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\ACS\AOLAcsd.exe[1988] @ C:\WINDOWS\system32\WS2_32.dll [KERNEL32.dll!LoadLibraryA] [6BFA9C46] C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\AOLDiag\tbdiag.dll (AOL Diagnostics/AOL LLC)
IAT C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\ACS\AOLAcsd.exe[1988] @ C:\WINDOWS\system32\WS2_32.dll [KERNEL32.dll!SetUnhandledExceptionFilter] [6BFA9E6E] C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\AOLDiag\tbdiag.dll (AOL Diagnostics/AOL LLC)
IAT C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\ACS\AOLAcsd.exe[1988] @ C:\WINDOWS\system32\WS2HELP.dll [KERNEL32.dll!SetUnhandledExceptionFilter] [6BFA9E6E] C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\AOLDiag\tbdiag.dll (AOL Diagnostics/AOL LLC)
IAT C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\ACS\AOLAcsd.exe[1988] @ C:\WINDOWS\system32\WS2HELP.dll [KERNEL32.dll!LoadLibraryA] [6BFA9C46] C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\AOLDiag\tbdiag.dll (AOL Diagnostics/AOL LLC)
IAT C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\ACS\AOLAcsd.exe[1988] @ C:\WINDOWS\system32\SHELL32.dll [KERNEL32.dll!SetUnhandledExceptionFilter] [6BFA9E6E] C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\AOLDiag\tbdiag.dll (AOL Diagnostics/AOL LLC)
IAT C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\ACS\AOLAcsd.exe[1988] @ C:\WINDOWS\system32\SHELL32.dll [KERNEL32.dll!LoadLibraryA] [6BFA9C46] C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\AOLDiag\tbdiag.dll (AOL Diagnostics/AOL LLC)
IAT C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\ACS\AOLAcsd.exe[1988] @ C:\WINDOWS\system32\SHELL32.dll [KERNEL32.dll!LoadLibraryW] [6BFA9CCD] C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\AOLDiag\tbdiag.dll (AOL Diagnostics/AOL LLC)
IAT C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\ACS\AOLAcsd.exe[1988] @ C:\WINDOWS\system32\SHELL32.dll [KERNEL32.dll!LoadLibraryExW] [6BFA9DE1] C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\AOLDiag\tbdiag.dll (AOL Diagnostics/AOL LLC)
IAT C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\ACS\AOLAcsd.exe[1988] @ C:\WINDOWS\system32\SHELL32.dll [KERNEL32.dll!LoadLibraryExA] [6BFA9D54] C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\AOLDiag\tbdiag.dll (AOL Diagnostics/AOL LLC)
IAT C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\ACS\AOLAcsd.exe[1988] @ C:\WINDOWS\system32\ole32.dll [KERNEL32.dll!LoadLibraryA] [6BFA9C46] C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\AOLDiag\tbdiag.dll (AOL Diagnostics/AOL LLC)
IAT C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\ACS\AOLAcsd.exe[1988] @ C:\WINDOWS\system32\ole32.dll [KERNEL32.dll!LoadLibraryW] [6BFA9CCD] C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\AOLDiag\tbdiag.dll (AOL Diagnostics/AOL LLC)
IAT C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\ACS\AOLAcsd.exe[1988] @ C:\WINDOWS\system32\ole32.dll [KERNEL32.dll!LoadLibraryExW] [6BFA9DE1] C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\AOLDiag\tbdiag.dll (AOL Diagnostics/AOL LLC)
IAT C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\ACS\AOLAcsd.exe[1988] @ C:\WINDOWS\system32\ole32.dll [KERNEL32.dll!LoadLibraryExA] [6BFA9D54] C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\AOLDiag\tbdiag.dll (AOL Diagnostics/AOL LLC)
IAT C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\ACS\AOLAcsd.exe[1988] @ C:\WINDOWS\system32\ole32.dll [KERNEL32.dll!SetUnhandledExceptionFilter] [6BFA9E6E] C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\AOLDiag\tbdiag.dll (AOL Diagnostics/AOL LLC)
IAT C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\ACS\AOLAcsd.exe[1988] @ C:\WINDOWS\system32\psapi.dll [KERNEL32.dll!LoadLibraryA] [6BFA9C46] C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\AOLDiag\tbdiag.dll (AOL Diagnostics/AOL LLC)
IAT C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\ACS\AOLAcsd.exe[1988] @ C:\WINDOWS\system32\psapi.dll [KERNEL32.dll!SetUnhandledExceptionFilter] [6BFA9E6E] C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\AOLDiag\tbdiag.dll (AOL Diagnostics/AOL LLC)
IAT C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\ACS\AOLAcsd.exe[1988] @ C:\WINDOWS\system32\NETAPI32.dll [KERNEL32.dll!LoadLibraryW] [6BFA9CCD] C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\AOLDiag\tbdiag.dll (AOL Diagnostics/AOL LLC)
IAT C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\ACS\AOLAcsd.exe[1988] @ C:\WINDOWS\system32\NETAPI32.dll [KERNEL32.dll!SetUnhandledExceptionFilter] [6BFA9E6E] C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\AOLDiag\tbdiag.dll (AOL Diagnostics/AOL LLC)
IAT C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\ACS\AOLAcsd.exe[1988] @ C:\WINDOWS\system32\NETAPI32.dll [KERNEL32.dll!LoadLibraryA] [6BFA9C46] C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\AOLDiag\tbdiag.dll (AOL Diagnostics/AOL LLC)
IAT C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\ACS\AOLAcsd.exe[1988] @ C:\WINDOWS\system32\userenv.dll [KERNEL32.dll!LoadLibraryW] [6BFA9CCD] C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\AOLDiag\tbdiag.dll (AOL Diagnostics/AOL LLC)
IAT C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\ACS\AOLAcsd.exe[1988] @ C:\WINDOWS\system32\userenv.dll [KERNEL32.dll!LoadLibraryExA] [6BFA9D54] C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\AOLDiag\tbdiag.dll (AOL Diagnostics/AOL LLC)
IAT C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\ACS\AOLAcsd.exe[1988] @ C:\WINDOWS\system32\userenv.dll [KERNEL32.dll!LoadLibraryA] [6BFA9C46] C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\AOLDiag\tbdiag.dll (AOL Diagnostics/AOL LLC)
IAT C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\ACS\AOLAcsd.exe[1988] @ C:\WINDOWS\system32\userenv.dll [KERNEL32.dll!SetUnhandledExceptionFilter] [6BFA9E6E] C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\AOLDiag\tbdiag.dll (AOL Diagnostics/AOL LLC)

---- Devices - GMER 1.0.14 ----

AttachedDevice \FileSystem\Ntfs \Ntfs SiWinAcc.sys (Windows Accelerator Driver/Silicon Image, Inc.)
AttachedDevice \Driver\Tcpip \Device\Ip sbtis.sys (Sunbelt TDI Inspection System/Sunbelt Software)
AttachedDevice \Driver\Tcpip \Device\Tcp sbtis.sys (Sunbelt TDI Inspection System/Sunbelt Software)
AttachedDevice \Driver\Tcpip \Device\Udp sbtis.sys (Sunbelt TDI Inspection System/Sunbelt Software)
AttachedDevice \Driver\Tcpip \Device\RawIp sbtis.sys (Sunbelt TDI Inspection System/Sunbelt Software)

---- EOF - GMER 1.0.14 ----

#9 extremeboy

extremeboy

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,975 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2009 - 03:24 PM

Hello.

Yup, everything looks good :thumbsup:

We should run an online scan to see if it picks up anything else, other than that you look good.

Run Scan with Kaspersky

Please do a scan with Kaspersky Online Scanner.

If you are using Windows Vista, open your browser by right-clicking on its icon and select 'Run as administrator' to perform this scan.

• Please disable your realtime protection software before proceeding. Refer to this page if you are unsure how.
  • Open the Kaspersky Scanner page.
  • Click on Accept and install any components it needs.
  • The program will install and then begin downloading the latest definition files.
  • After the files have been downloaded on the left side of the page in the Scan section select My Computer
  • This will start the program and scan your system.
  • The scan will take a while, so be patient and let it run.
  • Once the scan is complete, click on View scan report
  • Now, click on the Save Report as button.
  • Save the file to your desktop.
  • Copy and paste that information in your next post.
You can refer to this animation by sundavis.

Post back the log once you are finish.

With Regards,
Extremeboy
Note: Please do not PM me asking for help, instead please post it in the correct forum requesting for help. Help requests via the PM system will be ignored.

If I'm helping you and I don't reply within 48 hours please feel free to send me a PM.

The help you receive here is always free but if you wish to show your appreciation, you may wish to Posted Image.

#10 mike11986

mike11986
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2009 - 08:48 AM

Looking over this log, it must have scanned my javascript programs on my old websites. Yeah, there's stuff that makes windows pop up and jump all over the place (its a controlled joke). Is that all or have those files actually been infected?

Those last two are just installation files that I recall includes adware (so they are free). If I install those, I can easily delete the ad-ware.

So, I have my doubts about any real problems in this report. Anything I should know about? I should mention, that took a LONG time. I left it to work overnight.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
KASPERSKY ONLINE SCANNER 7 REPORT
Monday, January 12, 2009
Operating System: Microsoft Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3 (build 2600)
Kaspersky Online Scanner 7 version: 7.0.25.0
Program database last update: Monday, January 12, 2009 03:18:09
Records in database: 1605497
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Scan settings:
Scan using the following database: extended
Scan archives: yes
Scan mail databases: yes

Scan area - My Computer:
C:\
D:\
E:\
F:\
H:\
I:\
J:\
K:\

Scan statistics:
Files scanned: 194580
Threat name: 6
Infected objects: 21
Suspicious objects: 0
Duration of the scan: 08:57:25

File name / Threat name / Threats count
C:\Documents and Settings\Michael\Desktop\Michael's Documents\Websites\Alston Zone\didntreferj.htm Infected: Hoax.JS.BadJoke.RJump 1
C:\Documents and Settings\Michael\Desktop\Michael's Documents\Websites\Alston Zone\newjumpingwindow.htm Infected: Hoax.JS.BadJoke.RJump 1
C:\Documents and Settings\Michael\My Documents\My Webs\Alston Zone Removed Files\Alston Zone\didntreferj.htm Infected: Hoax.JS.BadJoke.RJump 1
C:\Documents and Settings\Michael\My Documents\My Webs\Alston Zone Removed Files\Alston Zone\newjumpingwindow.htm Infected: Hoax.JS.BadJoke.RJump 1
C:\Documents and Settings\Michael\My Documents\My Webs\Copy of School Fun Zone\didntreferj.htm Infected: Hoax.JS.BadJoke.RJump 1
C:\Documents and Settings\Michael\My Documents\My Webs\Copy of School Fun Zone\newjumpingwindow.htm Infected: Hoax.JS.BadJoke.RJump 1
C:\Documents and Settings\Michael\My Documents\My Webs\School Fun Zone\didntreferj.htm Infected: Hoax.JS.BadJoke.RJump 1
C:\Documents and Settings\Michael\My Documents\My Webs\School Fun Zone\newjumpingwindow.htm Infected: Hoax.JS.BadJoke.RJump 1
D:\Back Up\Michael's Screen Name Data\Michael's Documents\Websites\Alston Zone\didntreferj.htm Infected: Hoax.JS.BadJoke.RJump 1
D:\Back Up\Michael's Screen Name Data\Michael's Documents\Websites\Alston Zone\newjumpingwindow.htm Infected: Hoax.JS.BadJoke.RJump 1
D:\Back Up\Michael's Screen Name Data\My Documents\My Webs\Alston Zone Removed Files\Alston Zone\didntreferj.htm Infected: Hoax.JS.BadJoke.RJump 1
D:\Back Up\Michael's Screen Name Data\My Documents\My Webs\Alston Zone Removed Files\Alston Zone\newjumpingwindow.htm Infected: Hoax.JS.BadJoke.RJump 1
D:\Back Up\Michael's Screen Name Data\My Documents\My Webs\Copy of School Fun Zone\didntreferj.htm Infected: Hoax.JS.BadJoke.RJump 1
D:\Back Up\Michael's Screen Name Data\My Documents\My Webs\Copy of School Fun Zone\newjumpingwindow.htm Infected: Hoax.JS.BadJoke.RJump 1
D:\Back Up\Michael's Screen Name Data\My Documents\My Webs\School Fun Zone\didntreferj.htm Infected: Hoax.JS.BadJoke.RJump 1
D:\Back Up\Michael's Screen Name Data\My Documents\My Webs\School Fun Zone\newjumpingwindow.htm Infected: Hoax.JS.BadJoke.RJump 1
D:\Installation Files\Miscellaneous\Bearshare\BSINSTALL.exe Infected: not-a-virus:WebToolbar.Win32.WhenU.a 1
D:\Installation Files\Miscellaneous\Web Media Player\Web-MediaPlayer_setup.exe Infected: not-a-virus:AdWare.Win32.NaviPromo.cu 1

The selected area was scanned.

#11 extremeboy

extremeboy

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,975 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2009 - 04:50 PM

Hello.

Sorry you got "overlooked".. Didn't see it, next time a "bump" may help us.

Yes, Online scans usually take a while espically if you have a huge hard disk with alot of stuff in it..

Nothing much shows up in the Kaspersky log, there are some websites as you have mentioned that should be deleted as they are detected by Kaspersky as "baddies"

The ones I am referring to are:

Please navigate to each of the following locations and delete them please.

C:\Documents and Settings\Michael\Desktop\Michael's Documents\Websites\Alston Zone\didntreferj.htm
C:\Documents and Settings\Michael\Desktop\Michael's Documents\Websites\Alston Zone\newjumpingwindow.htm
C:\Documents and Settings\Michael\My Documents\My Webs\Alston Zone Removed Files\Alston Zone\didntreferj.htm
C:\Documents and Settings\Michael\My Documents\My Webs\Alston Zone Removed Files\Alston Zone\newjumpingwindow.htm
C:\Documents and Settings\Michael\My Documents\My Webs\Copy of School Fun Zone\didntreferj.htm
C:\Documents and Settings\Michael\My Documents\My Webs\Copy of School Fun Zone\newjumpingwindow.htm
C:\Documents and Settings\Michael\My Documents\My Webs\School Fun Zone\didntreferj.htm
C:\Documents and Settings\Michael\My Documents\My Webs\School Fun Zone\newjumpingwindow.htm
D:\Back Up\Michael's Screen Name Data\Michael's Documents\Websites\Alston Zone\didntreferj.htm
D:\Back Up\Michael's Screen Name Data\Michael's Documents\Websites\Alston Zone\newjumpingwindow.htm
D:\Back Up\Michael's Screen Name Data\My Documents\My Webs\Alston Zone Removed Files\Alston Zone\didntreferj.htm
D:\Back Up\Michael's Screen Name Data\My Documents\My Webs\Alston Zone Removed Files\Alston Zone\newjumpingwindow.htm
D:\Back Up\Michael's Screen Name Data\My Documents\My Webs\Copy of School Fun Zone\didntreferj.htm
D:\Back Up\Michael's Screen Name Data\My Documents\My Webs\Copy of School Fun Zone\newjumpingwindow.htm
D:\Back Up\Michael's Screen Name Data\My Documents\My Webs\School Fun Zone\didntreferj.htm
D:\Back Up\Michael's Screen Name Data\My Documents\My Webs\School Fun Zone\newjumpingwindow.htm

As an example to delete a file:
To delete C:\WINDOWS\badfile.dll
Double click the My Computer icon on your Desktop. Or click on the Windows KEY + E.
Double click on Local Disc (C:\)
Double click on the Windows folder,
Right click on badfile.dll and then from the menu that appears, click on Delete

Empty Your Recycling Bin once your done

Do you have any other problems left?

With Regards,
Extremeboy

#12 mike11986

mike11986
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2009 - 12:24 AM

Sorry, I forgot to check on this website. Yes, the computer is running great now, so thank you for all of your help.

#13 extremeboy

extremeboy

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,975 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2009 - 08:11 AM

Okay. Thanks for letting us know.

With Regards,
Extremeboy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users