Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CD Burning Trouble

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 VGMD

VGMD

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:33 PM

Posted 04 January 2009 - 06:17 PM

I have an HP Media Center PC with a LightScribe DVD +- Writer / CD-Writer. Recently I tried to write some files to a Memorex CD-R disc (52x, 700 mb, 80 mins); however, the computer can't seem to recognize the disc. It just tells me to "insert a blank disc", even when the disc is in the drive. I already tried putting in CDs from the middle of the stack in case I had accidentally already written files to the ones on the top. I then put in a TDK DVD-R disc into the drive and it recognized it. I haven't tried writing anything to it yet but at least it realizes that there is a disc in the drive. Is there something wrong with the burner itself or maybe it just cannot recognize that type of CD? Although I could almost swear that I was able to burn files to those CDs a long time ago. Any help would be appreciated! :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,753 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:33 AM

Posted 05 January 2009 - 04:59 PM

As far as I can remember...the onset of burn drives has shown for some burners to be picky about media and some media to work while not working in other burners.

A thread you may find interesting: http://club.cdfreaks.com/f33/best-worst-cdrs-46932/

Another: http://www.cdfreaks.com/reviews/CD-R-media...find-the-best-/

Personally, I find that it's the burner that's probably at fault if I cannot burn or read a disk. At today's prices, there's no reason not to have a decent, functional burner that reads and burns without hiccups.

Louis

#3 VGMD

VGMD
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2009 - 12:25 AM

Thanks for the info, Louis. I probably do have to replace my burner since it's at least 5 years old and came with the computer. But before I do that I think I'll check the company website and see if there are any driver updates or something for the burner and try writing something to a DVD.

Thanks again,
VGMD

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,753 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:33 AM

Posted 06 January 2009 - 12:06 PM

There may be a firmware update...let us know whether or not you find one.

Louis

#5 VGMD

VGMD
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2009 - 12:55 AM

Well I did find a firmware update for my burner on HP's website here. When I ran the .exe file, it asked me to put in a blank CD-R disc, so I put in one of the ones that were giving me trouble. Sadly, it didn't recognize the disc again, but it did mention trying a different vendor. I guess I'll give TDK a shot and if they aren't compatible either I'll consider getting a new burner altogether.

#6 meinlexington

meinlexington

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:33 PM

Posted 07 January 2009 - 06:59 PM

Have you tried using a Laser lens cleaner? Sometimes when i dont use my cd/dvd rom for a while it wont recognize any disc so I use a Laser lens cleaner and that fixes the problem. Just a little dust on the lens i suppose. Hope you get it working

#7 VGMD

VGMD
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2009 - 02:26 AM

That's a good idea... I might try that. I haven't used my burner in a while so that could be the problem. Thanks!

#8 starcraftmaster

starcraftmaster

• Members
  • 1,109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:33 PM

Posted 18 January 2009 - 03:04 AM

some of those cheap Laser lens cleaners can destroy your cd burner
thats what i heard

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users