Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

error Self-Registration Error

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 mypanhead147

mypanhead147

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:05 AM

Posted 04 January 2009 - 05:32 PM

My sons computer had a virus but got rid of it (with the help from this site) then tried to get on the internet and can not connect get error message: Self Registration error: c:/windows/system 32/Macro Med/Flash/Flash.ocx So tried reinstalling windows but will not finish installing windows now because dont have internet connection. I know internet is working because the other 2 computers are working just fine no internet problems. Can some one guide me in the right direction??

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ePost

ePost

• Members
  • 119 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2009 - 05:42 PM

I think you have to uninstall Flash Player - the malware probably damaged it. You've better uninstall Shockwave Player as well - if it's there. You'll find both in Add/Remove programs. Then try reinstalling Windows again.

Afterwards go to Adobes site and reinstall it. Actually Adobe provides a special removal tool - perhaps you can use it on your sons PC via an USB stick. This is it - link. And here you have the link for a new Flash Player.

What I don't understand is: why did you reinstall Windows if it was a Flash problem from the beginning? Flash is not a Microsoft program so reinstalling Windows won't help much...

Edited by ePost, 04 January 2009 - 05:49 PM.

#3 ePost

ePost

• Members
  • 119 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2009 - 05:56 PM

If Adobe Air and Adobe Media Player is listed in Add/remove programs you are better of uninstalling them as well. Adobe uses Flash.ocx in several of their programs and they are all easily installed again. It's more important to get a clean install of Windows.

#4 ePost

ePost

• Members
  • 119 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2009 - 06:06 PM

You should have taken the advice you got in this other thread that you've started - there is still time for it:

You still have some lurking about
----------------------------------------------

Please reboot the computer
Open MBAM and click click Scanner tab,select FULL scan
After scan click Remove Selected, Post new scan log for review

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users