Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Anti Virus websites and tech help websites blocked

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 pws18

pws18

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:51 AM

Posted 04 January 2009 - 03:37 PM

Hello this is my first post at bleeping computer, because I can usually figure out all of my computer related problems on my own. But this time I am in over my head. I recently got a vundo variant virus that was very difficult to remove along with a clicker virus and a few other random trojans. The first thing that alerted me to this was a message telling me that a virus had been detected. It looked suspicious to me so I didn't install what it was asking me to install and it turns out I was right. It was a false windows alert message created by a virus. I tried to go download a new anti-virus program but the virus I have has made it impossible to connect to any anti-virus or help related websites without using a program called Tor configured with foxyproxy, a firefox add-on. This has also created another problem, when I try to install spybot search and destroy and mbam it wont install because it has to connect to the servers at those websites. I have run many deep and full system scans with avg anti virus, ad-adware free edition, and super anti-spyware free edition. Initially it detected many virus and registry entries which I had to remove in safe mode, but now it detects it as clean. I know I just wrote a novel pretty much but please read it and help me out because I need to be able to connect tech websites and anti-virus websites. Also I have checked my host files under the system 32/drivers/ect folder and it is clean. There is nothing malicious left on my system that any anti virus or spyware program is able to detect, but I still have the problem of limited internet access. My operating system is Windows XP professional with SP3.

EDIT: Never mind I fixed this myself, it took me about 24 hours but I eventually got it. Topic can be closed

Edited by pws18, 04 January 2009 - 09:58 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Tehsplink

Tehsplink

• Members
  • 120 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:51 AM

Posted 06 January 2009 - 03:30 PM

Sorry for the wait

Please open your hosts file and check there are no blocked entries.
Then can you download malwarebytes and the updates file so you can do the whole process offline (This is from one computer onto a cd or pen drive etc and then transfer it across).
Then follow the instructions below but ignore the downloading and updating bit (when you get to the update bit please double click the updates file to apply the updates check the bottom of the post for the updates file link).

Please download MalwareBytes Anti-Malware to your desktop.

Ensure that your computer is connected to the internet and your software firewall is disabled until instructed to re-enable it.
Double click on the mbam-setup.exe to begin the installation process.
When the installation begins, please do not change any of the settings and follow the prompts.
Please make sure that when you finish the installation, these options remain checked;
*Update MalwareBytes' Anti-Malware
*Launch MalwareBytes' Anti-Malware
You may now click finish...
When MBAM launches, you will be prompted to update before running a scan. If an update is found, MBAM will automatically download and apply the updates and you can then click 'OK' button to close the box and continue. You may now re-enable your firewall
Please ensure that while you are on the scanner tab the 'Perform Quick Scan' option is selected, then click the 'Scan' button.
If you are asked which drives to scan, please leave all of them ticked, and click 'Start Scan'.
The scan will now begin and you will see “Scan in progress” at the top; It may take a while to complete so please be patient.
When the scan completes, you will see “The scan completed successfully. Click 'Show Results' to display all objects found”
Click the 'OK' button to close the box and continue with the removal process.
Back on the main scanner screen, click 'Show Results' to see a list of any found Malware.
Ensure that all items are checked and then click the 'Remove Selected' button.
When the removal process is complete, a log will open in notepad; this log will be automatically saved and you can view it in the logs section of the program.
Copy and paste the contents of the log file that is open into your next reply and exit MBAM.

Note: If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you may be asked to reboot your computer so it can proceed with the disinfection process. Regardless if prompted to restart the computer or not, please do so immediately. Failure to reboot normally (not into safe mode) will prevent MBAM from removing all the Malware. MBAM may make changes to your registry as part of its disinfection routine. If you're using other security programs that detect registry changes, they may alert you after scanning with MBAM. Please permit the program to allow the changes.

The updates file can be downloaded from http://www.gt500.org/malwarebytes/mbam-rules.exe
Please PM me if i have been assisting you and do not reply for 24 hours!

#3 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,416 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:51 AM

Posted 06 January 2009 - 04:43 PM

You may also try this

Some types of malware will disable MBAM and other security tools. If MBAM will not install, try renaming it. Right-click on the mbam-setup.exe file and change the .exe extension to .bat, .com, .pif, or .scr and then double-click on it to run.

If after installation, MBAM will not run, open the Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware folder in Program Files, right-click on mbam.exe and change the .exe as noted above. Then double-click on it to run.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users