Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Faulty / missing MSVCR80.dll

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Nick1979

Nick1979

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:36 PM

Posted 04 January 2009 - 03:33 PM

Hi,

I am experiencing a problem that I suspect was caused by some sort of error during the installation of .NET framework 2.0.

The .NET framework was installed by Mailstore Home 3.0, and I then immediately attempted to install the latest security patch from Windows Update (which failed). I don't know whether it was during the install or update that the problem was introduced.

Anyway, having done this, I found that Windows Live Mail would no longer open - it just gives me an error message saying that MSVCR80.dll is not a valid Windows image (see first attached image below). When I look for the file in question, I find that it appears to be there, but has a file size of 0 bytes.

In order to try to fix this, I tried uninstalling .NET framework 2.0 and 1.1 and then reinstalling them by downloading them from microsoft.com. This did no good, and in fact, now .NET framework 2.0 will not reinstall - it throws up an error during the installation process (see second attached image below).

The only other things I've tried is to run "sfc /scannow" at the command line, which I believe is meant to find missing system files. It didn't fix the problem (it didn't seem to find anything). I also tried repairing Live Mail from the Windows Control Panel's "Add / Remove Programs" dialogue. That also didn't fix the problem.

At the moment I'm unable to open Live Mail, which is a real pain, so any help would be very greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Nick F

Attached Files

Edited by Nick1979, 04 January 2009 - 03:34 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Nick1979

Nick1979
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2009 - 03:43 PM

Ps. I should have mentioned - since reinstalling .NET framework, Windows Update also fails when I try to install .NET Framework 1.1 Service Pack 1 (error code 0x80131700, if that helps). Until now, I've never had any problems installing updates from Windows Update before.

#3 ePost

ePost

• Members
  • 119 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:36 PM

Posted 04 January 2009 - 03:50 PM

Well, it is said that it is best to install .net Framework by the numbers - 1.1 first, then 2.0 then 3.0. So try to take Mailstore out - then reinstall when the two other .net Framework programs are in place.

Also: are you sure that the Mailstore Home download was clean? Malware frequently attacks when you download. Perhaps you should put your safety software to work before you try again or run a new anti-malware program. The two best malware removers in this world are free:

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware - download link: http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php
SUPERAntiSpyware - download link: http://www.superantispyware.com/superantis...efreevspro.html

You should keep them. They really are the best that you can buy with no money at all. :thumbsup:

Also these fine online scanners will do an excellent job - run one or two full scans. The ones mentioned above are better, though: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/blogs/usas...?showentry=1252

Finally the free online Windows Live OneCare safety scanner automatically repair damaged Windows files. This scanner is really is excellent - and grossly underestimated:

Link: http://onecare.live.com/site/en-us/default.htm

#4 ePost

ePost

• Members
  • 119 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:36 PM

Posted 04 January 2009 - 03:55 PM

Windows Live OneCare safety scanner will update your programs as well.

Having said that: it sounds like your PC's updater i clogged. Dial-a-fix usually takes care of that in the blink of an eye. This here is Bleepingcomputers article about Dial-a-fix: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/160132/how-to-use-dial-a-fix-to-repair-windows-internals-problems/

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,089 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:36 PM

Posted 04 January 2009 - 04:02 PM

I read about this in an article by Raymond Chen (a Microsoft guru on backwards compatibility). Most likely it's caused by an outdated version of ms in the Mailstore Home 3.0 program.

To fix it, try uninstalling the Mailstore Home program, then uninstalling all of the .NET packages on your system.
Then run Dial A Fix to ensure the proper stuff is registered.
Visit Windows Update to see if it works (don't install any updates yet) and Live Mail to see if it works.

If not, post back and we'll work with that.

If it does work, then install .NET v1.1, then .NET 2 - testing along the way to ensure that you can still connect.
Finally, reinstall Mailstore Home 3.0 if you must - and watch that it doesn't try to overwrite your .NET v2.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 Nick1979

Nick1979
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2009 - 05:46 PM

Hi again,

Thank you both for your quick replies.

I ran OneCare's safety scan, as recommended, and it found nothing. To be honest, I think this problem is probably not very likely to be malware-related because it seemed to coincide exactly with either installing Mailstore Home (downloaded from the official site) or installing .NET framework 2.0 (before, I only had 1.1 installed, and everything worked ok!) I'm pretty sure one of them (or both, since it was Mailstore that installed .NET 2.0) is to blame.

I then uninstalled .NET framework, and ran Dial-a-Fix, and... Windows Live Mail still doesn't work. The error is the same. Windows Update is also still failing to install the .NET 2.0 security patch (KB928365), though I suppose that could well be because I don't have .NET installed any more. (It's still offering it as an update, though, as it was even before I installed .NET 2.0 - I remember this because I install all security updates, but left this one because I didn't have .NET 2.0 installed). The error code, if it helps, was 0x66A.

Any suggestions about what I might do next would be very much appreciated!

Many thanks again,

Nick

#7 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:36 PM

Posted 05 January 2009 - 06:15 PM

I can tell you what not to do

My name's Martyn Lovell, and I'm the development lead of the team that produces msvcr80.dll [The Visual C++ Libraries team]. There are a couple of things I'd like to clarify.

First, Norton WinDoctor is wrong. It incorrectly reports that msvcr80 is missing when in fact it is correctly installed in the WinSxS directly in the windows. folder. If you own WinDoctor, you should report this bug to Symantec so that they get it fixed.

Do NOT copy the this file to any of the folders WinDoctor recommends.

If you've already attempted to take corrective action for this issue (by copying msvcr80.dll or msvcr80d.dll to ...\system32 or to the .NET Framework directory), please undo this. These files do not need to be copied around, and doing so may cause problems in future.

Please feel free to contact me directly if you have more questions, as I don't read this forum regularly.

Martyn Lovell
Development Lead
Visual C++ Libraries
martynl@microsoft.com

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#8 Nick1979

Nick1979
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2009 - 06:22 PM

Thanks for the warning!

Fortunately, I haven't done that. :thumbsup:

#9 Nick1979

Nick1979
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2009 - 03:38 PM

Well, in the absence of further suggestions, I've managed to more-or-less fix the problem, so I thought it might be worth writing up what did / didn't work, in case anyone experiencing similar problems looks at this thread.

Firstly, the recommended course of action - Dial-a-Fix and uninstalling .NET framework - didn't fix anything, but did cause major problems: having done both these things, I found that next time I started up my computer the power management software (Acer ePower Mangement) would no longer load, and also (perhaps as a consequence) I couldn't connect to any wireless networks.

So, I decided the safest bet was just to restore a system restore point, and I might as well go back to before Windows Live Mail stopped working (when I first tried to install .NET framework 2.0). System Restore fixed Live Mail, but I was still unable to update .NET framework - Windows Update still failed at every attempt.

What fixed this, and allowed me to successfully install .NET 1.1 and all its security patches was to first use the dotnetfx cleanup tool, available here to fully remove the .NET framework. I was then able to install and patch 1.1 without a problem.

The problems that remain are this: Mailstore Home remains unuseable, and when I install .NET 2.0 Windows Live Mail breaks again (I system-restored my way back a step at this point to get Live Mail back). Both of these problems are irritating, but much less serious than the previous problems I was experiencing (lack of Live Mail / internet connectivity). If anyone has any suggestions about how to prevent .NET 2.0 from breaking Windows Live Mail, I'd be interested to hear them. Otherwise, I guess I just have to give up on .NET 2.0, and software that relies on it. (Since the same problem is introduced by installing .NET 2.0 directly, I think it's probably safe to assume that it was .NET 2.0 rather than MailStore Home that caused the problem).

Anyway, thanks for the help, and hope the above is of some use to someone.

Best wishes,

Nick

Edited by Nick1979, 16 January 2009 - 03:39 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users