Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is my Motherboard, DVD rom broken?

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 (GTV)Chris

(GTV)Chris

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:10 AM

Posted 04 January 2009 - 02:15 PM

Hi,

I have had a problem with my system that I have to reinstall (it was the old blue screen of death problem) windows XP but upon re installing the operating system didn't do a full install so the machine never boots up properly.
I bought a new SATA II drive and tried to load up the OS again... Same thing happens.. It's like the transfer of data from the disc to te HDD doesn't qite complete?
It's like it gets into a bad loop.
Could this be a motherboard or a DVD drive problem?
I also tried Vista and it only part installs too.
I tried to put in my old HDD to see if the old operating system would boot from that one but it now appears tha the other drive won't spin up properly. It whirls for a few seconds then it makes a little click followed by a tiny beep and it just carries on this way and the PC doesn't boot up? Is this a dead SATA driveor can it be rescued? I have a lot of family photo's on it which I woud be very sorry to lose!!
So the questions are:
Is my old hdd recoverable or is it broken?
Is there a way to test my motherboard and DVD rom without an operating system?

Here's my system.

Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium -SP1- Licence and media - 1 PC - OEM - DVD - 32-bit
Coolermaster Mystique 632 Silver Aluminium Mid Tower Case - No PSU
XPRO Silver Internal 3.5" 17-in-1 Card Reader With USB2.0 Port
NEC Optiarc 7173A 18xDVDRW/RAM DL LabelFlash Silver Bare Drive
Corsair 2GB Kit (2x1GB) DDR2 667MHz/PC2-5400 Memory Non-ECC Unbuffered CL5
Gigabyte GA-965P-DS4 Socket 775 Onboard Audio SATA ATX
Intel Core 2 Duo E6400 (2.13ghz) Socket 775 FSB1066 2MB Cache Retail Boxed Processor
Sapphire X1950Pro 256MB GDDR3 DVI TVO HDCP PCI-E Graphics Card
Xpro 500W Quiet PSU - 12cm Fan, 20+4pin Power Connector, PCI-E Connector
Maxtor STM3320820AS 320GB 7200RPM SATAII 8MB Cache - OEM

Any guidance would be great.

Thank you

Chris

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users