Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Random Blue Screen During Gameplay

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 rustinpeace

rustinpeace

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:50 PM

Posted 19 May 2005 - 10:06 PM

I play World of Warcraft, an mmorpg. It has worked smoothly up until about last month.
I started recieving error messages randomly during gameplay, not too often, but annoying. A week after that began, I started to recieve a few blue screens, and at one point it would not let me re-enter my computer outside of safe mode (which I fixed). The errors since then have increased in number and frequency. I can barely play for 10 minutes at a time.

My computer info:

Pentium® 4 CPU 3.00 GHz
1.00 GB RAM
C Drive NTFS 148 GB

Radeon 9800 Pro AGP 256 MB
Bios Info - 113-A18805-105

SB Audigy 2 ZS

I'm thinking it is a graphics card problem, or RAM problem.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2005 - 11:29 PM

Did this occur right after one of their famous patches?
I am playing WOW will less RAM and a slightly smaller vid card than you have without any problems, though there is a memory leak that requires a complete reboot about once every four hours.

Consider uninstalling and then reinstalling the game and then allow the patches to install and then run scandisk and defrag right afterwards.
Cheers,
John

Klamm
Aggramar

Edited by jgweed, 19 May 2005 - 11:34 PM.

Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 computingelite

computingelite

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2005 - 06:55 AM

Do you get the errors in other games? This is important because if you don't then that rules out the possibility of it being a hardware problem... if you can play other games fine then it means some hardware is conflicting with WoW.

Make sure you have the latest drivers for all system components, and have the latest WoW patch.

Also like jgweed says, a defrag won't hurt... also scan your disk for errors.

#4 rustinpeace

rustinpeace
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2005 - 07:44 PM

Well, I don't need to be in WoW for the problem to occur, it just seems to trigger the problem.

I can leave my computer on for weeks, but if I run WoW and it blue screens I have a chance of blue screening outside of the game.

This has occured twice, both while checking my DXDIAG. I was testing Direct X 9.0c.

I will try reinstalling Direct X and WoW accordingly right now and post on the outcome after I have done so.

Thank you.

EDIT: During reinstallation I have recieved a few blue screens now, the game can't be the problem. BTW, the blue screen is not just blue, there are words, something about BIOS update and shadowing/caching at the bottom of the page. My computer auto-restarts too fast for me to read the whole thing.

Also, I have been running iTunes and Ventrilo in the background everytime I turn my computer on. They don't need to be on for a blue screen, but I'm starting to think it could be a sound problem too >_<. Also, I hear loud cracking on my speakers during the blue screen.

Edited by rustinpeace, 20 May 2005 - 08:23 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users