Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mouse not work when adapter plugged in

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 amyl

amyl

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 AM

Posted 04 January 2009 - 01:27 PM

I have an odd question....whenever my ac adapter is plugged in to charge the battery...my mouse on my laptop doesn't work. Also, my mouse that's plugged in using USB cord states that it's unrecognizable.

The odd part....when the comp is plugged in...a touch lamp that I have in a different room will not go off. I thought it might be electrical...but I unplugged the lamp and it does in in every single plug I use in my house now. I even tried to use that at a different house than mine and it still does it.

What the crap? Any one ever heard of this??????? Please help!!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 amyl

amyl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2009 - 02:22 PM

I have read in couple other forums that "mouse not working while ac adaptor plugged in" is a problem that others has had.

So, I know now that this is because of my ac adaptor. I called Dell and of course my warranty has ran out. Could this be a problem that I can fix myself?

To give you a little background on ac adpator...It's adaptor for DelL Latitude (I dunno what other info is needed). I have had 3 of these types of adaptors and they alll give me trouble of charging my battery. It will only charge my battery if I rig the cord into something to make it tight.

But now...I cannot get it to charge for the life of me and my mouse nor the USB mouse will work when the ac adaptor is plugged in.
I don't want to waste my money again on another adaptor cause it's the same problems over and over.

Any suggestions on how to fix my mouse problem first off? Any suggestions on any universal adaptors?

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2009 - 03:29 PM

It will only charge my battery if I rig the cord into something to make it tight.

This is a rather common problem. The DC power jack that the adapter plugs into at the back of the laptop is bad

As far as the other problem goes, it sounds like you have some serious electrical issues in the house wiring
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 amyl

amyl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2009 - 06:13 PM

So is it the adaptor or the part on the back of the laptop?

#5 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2009 - 07:31 PM

It is the DC plug that is soldered onto the system board of the laptop
Mark
Posted Image

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits

#6 amyl

amyl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2009 - 09:38 AM

Well when I use my sister's Adaptor (she has same comp as me Dell Inspiron 1300 Laptop) it works in my comp and the mouse works when it's plugged it. Could it be the adaptor?

I think these adaptor's are nothing but problems. I had the original adaptor that came with this laptop but it burnt up because my brother left it plugged in for a straight 2 weeks while I was on vacation. I have had 3 of these "universal" adaptors and have had nothing but problems.

My warranty has ran out so what adaptor should I look for when trying to get one off e-bay or something?

#7 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2009 - 11:53 AM

You have to match the milliamp/hrs exactly. Personally, seeing how you have all these problems, I would bite the bullet, pay the extra money, and stick with the OEM from the computer manufacturer
Mark
Posted Image

#8 amyl

amyl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2009 - 02:38 PM

You have to match the milliamp/hrs exactly. Personally, seeing how you have all these problems, I would bite the bullet, pay the extra money, and stick with the OEM from the computer manufacturer

Is the OEM the original adaptor that comes from the manufacturer? I think when I spoke with a Dell rep about a month back that because I have Inspiron 1300 that it's too old that I can only get the "universal" adaptor.

I can't afford to get a whole new comp. I know that computer years 1 yr is like 15yrs but my comp is not that old and I just download what I need if I don't have it. I am just trying to figure out how to get it to charge

#9 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2009 - 05:38 PM

I don't know what the Dell rep. was smoking
http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/product...;chassisid=8445
Mark
Posted Image

#10 amyl

amyl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2009 - 09:25 AM

I don't know what the Dell rep. was smoking
http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/product...;chassisid=8445

Yes this is the adaptor I need. They gave me a universal one. So...is there any way to fix this problem without paying tons of $. I just had it looked at and they quoted me around $500 I can almost buy a new laptop for that.

My warranty ended in Sept but when I spoke with Dell about these issues...they gave me hard time and didn't want to send me a new one. Now I know why there is a law suit

#11 amyl

amyl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2009 - 09:51 AM

I had my laptop looked at and they said it is the plug thing (dunno what it's called) that's smoldered onto back of laptop where adaptor plugs into.

Dumb question....is there any other way to charge laptop batter than via the adaptor? Or is there any way this can be fixed? (without buying a new laptop)

#12 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2009 - 11:05 PM

is there any other way to charge laptop batter than via the adaptor?

I can think of one way but nothing I'd safely recommend

Or is there any way this can be fixed? (without buying a new laptop)

The part is only $10, finding the person with the right equipment and soldering skills is the tricky part
You're better off to stick to the small "mom and pop" repair shop then the larger shops. This is their bread and butter
You can probably get it replaced for under $100
This is a reputable place. You can email him for an estimate to get a better idea:

http://brighteyedcomputer.com/
Mark
Posted Image

#13 RobertFranz

RobertFranz

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:33 PM

Posted 02 February 2009 - 10:45 PM

Well when I use my sister's Adaptor (she has same comp as me Dell Inspiron 1300 Laptop) it works in my comp and the mouse works when it's plugged it. Could it be the adaptor?

If the problem follows the adapter, it would seem obvious that the adapter *is* the problem.

I'm also intimately familiar with the issue to which G refers.
I've had it happen on two laptops.

I was going to have the repair done locally - but I bought a new laptop instead.
(I can solder - but the traces are a bit fiddling for my clumsy fingers.)

It's most likely a combination of the power receptacle wear and tear, and wear and tear on the adapter plug.

If your sister's laptop adapter works without issue, I would replace your adapter with a new one, with the understanding that if the port on the laptop is worn, you're just buying a bit of time.

Sort of like putting new brake pads on worn rotors - it will get you by for a bit longer, but will ultimately fail prematurely.

I don't agree about going oem as opposed to Universal.

I've used several universal adapters, and they generally work fine.

Targus seems to have the best quality.

It's NOT necessary to match the amperage exactly - your laptop won't draw more power than it can use.
The frequency is always the same - none - it's DC.
And a universal adapter regulates the voltage automagically.

In addition, with a good universal adapter, you'll get additional options.
With my Targus, I have an adapter to charge my phone at the same time as the laptop, plus it came with an airline adapter as well.
The overall quality of the Targus is waaaaay better than oem.

I have two at work that have outlived the laptops for which they were purchased.

Down side, good adapters are expensive.

Mine was about $120 locally - you can knock about 25% off that if you buy online.

I think these adaptor's are nothing but problems. I had the original adaptor that came with this laptop but it burnt up because my brother left it plugged in for a straight 2 weeks while I was on vacation. I have had 3 of these "universal" adaptors and have had nothing but problems.

Like everything else, you can get quality gear or rubbish.

I wouldn't bother with the adapters made by APC.

Good ups's - crappy adapters.

And *fit* is critical - especially in your case.
You're working with a worn receptacle that is going to introduce extra play.

My warranty has ran out so what adaptor should I look for when trying to get one off e-bay or something?

#14 amyl

amyl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2009 - 04:20 PM

is there any other way to charge laptop batter than via the adaptor?

I can think of one way but nothing I'd safely recommend

Or is there any way this can be fixed? (without buying a new laptop)

The part is only $10, finding the person with the right equipment and soldering skills is the tricky part
You're better off to stick to the small "mom and pop" repair shop then the larger shops. This is their bread and butter
You can probably get it replaced for under $100
This is a reputable place. You can email him for an estimate to get a better idea:

http://brighteyedcomputer.com/

It will cost too much to get fixed.....and even if I get it saudered (however you spell that) it will inevitably happen again from what I found out. I will just have to chuck it as a loss and get a new one. I got quoted $60 to get backup of hardrive and then erased. Is there a way I can do this myself without the comp turning on? I didn't know if it's simple enough that I could do it or not.

I think I am gonna put this on e-bay or a local site.....do I just explain that it needs to be saudered and does anyone have any suggestions as to price I should list as?

Thanks so much for all of your help!

Edited by amyl, 10 February 2009 - 10:39 AM.

#15 amyl

amyl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2009 - 02:39 PM

It will cost too much to get fixed.....and even if I get it soldered (however you spell that) it will inevitably happen again from what I found out. I will just have to chuck it as a loss and get a new one. I got quoted $60 to get backup of hardrive and then erased. Is there a way I can do this myself without the comp turning on? I didn't know if it's simple enough that I could do it or not.

I think I am gonna put this on e-bay or a local site.....do I just explain that it needs to be saudered and does anyone have any suggestions as to price I should list as?

Thanks so much for all of your help!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users