Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I cant Defrag or system restore

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 hookipamakai

hookipamakai

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:16 PM

Posted 04 January 2009 - 01:26 PM

Well the topic tilte says it all, when I try to Defrag, it gives my this error msg...---> DISK DEFRAGMENTER COULD NOT START<

And when I try to run System restore I pick the date, then when I try to click "next" to procede it does nothing....for god sakes...HELP!

Thx.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,553 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:16 PM

Posted 04 January 2009 - 01:43 PM

How much free space on C: ?

How large is C: partition?

Have you tried running chkdsk /r on your system?

Start/Run...type chkdsk /r (with space between k and /), hit Enter/OK. Screen comes up advising you that it cannot run because Windows is open, asks if you want it to run later...type Y, hit Enter/OK.

Reboot, chkdsk will run to completion and reboot the system when finished.

Louis

#3 hookipamakai

hookipamakai
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2009 - 01:56 PM

167 GB free space....

Already ran chkdsk /r and got nothing....why would you think it will not let me run Sys restore?

#4 ePost

ePost

• Members
  • 119 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:16 PM

Posted 04 January 2009 - 02:02 PM

If this was done by malware the criminals behind it surely are getting advanced these days. System Restore is sometimes used to get rid of malware. By blocking System Restore they ensure that the malware stays in your computer. I would run Bleepingcomputer's guidelines on my PC had I been in your shoes. This is it: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/34773/preparation-guide-for-use-before-using-malware-removal-tools-and-requesting-help/

Edited by ePost, 04 January 2009 - 02:03 PM.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,553 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2009 - 02:05 PM

I don't use SR, but...I believe denial to such might be the work of malware...or it could something entirely different.

I suggest taking a look in Event Viewer and possibly getting a handle on what sort of errors are being documented there.

How To Use Event Viewer - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/40108/how-to-use-event-viewer/

If you have multiple unexplained system problems...I'd be inclined do some malware scans to either affirm/refute such as a source of your troubles.

Louis

#6 hookipamakai

hookipamakai
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2009 - 02:48 PM

OK, I ran "Disk clean up" and now system restore let me run it....so thats a relief. But I still need to defrag and it wont let me. I really appreciate your help everyone. I am currently loading my gun to SHOOT this thing though. I was waiting 6 hours for a 30 sec scene to render last night and to find out I didnt paint ONE SMALL PART of a peice of my project. Quite discouraging. But i'm strolling off topic. Any other ideas on defrag?

#7 ePost

ePost

• Members
  • 119 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2009 - 03:08 PM

Well, malware could be the issue here. You could run a full scan with the two best freeware anti-malware scanners on the marked today. Run them one by one - full scan. Both can remove what they find:

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware - download link: http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php
SUPERAntiSpyware - download link: http://www.superantispyware.com/superantis...efreevspro.html

You should keep them. They really are the best that you can buy with no money at all. :thumbsup:

Also these fine online scanners will do an excellent job - run one or two full scans. The ones mentioned above are better, though: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/blogs/usas...?showentry=1252

Finally the free online Windows Live OneCare safety scanner automatically defragments your files. It also cleans up your registry, updates all Microsoft's programs and repair damaged Windows files. It is excellent but you do need to run at least two of the above mentioned anti-malware programs first. But give OneCare's defragment program a chance afterwards - go for a full scan. You won't regret it. This fine online scanner is grossly underestimated.

Link: http://onecare.live.com/site/en-us/default.htm

Edited by ePost, 04 January 2009 - 05:04 PM.

#8 ePost

ePost

• Members
  • 119 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2009 - 06:54 PM

Did you try to defrag in safe mode? Should work on XP...

#9 hookipamakai

hookipamakai
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2009 - 09:16 AM

Thanks for all your help....im up and running good now. Case closed!

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,553 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2009 - 02:37 PM

Well done...want to share with us what got you over the hump :thumbsup:?

Louis

#11 chclem50

chclem50

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:16 PM

Posted 23 January 2009 - 06:39 PM

What "GREAT ADVICE" I followed the instructions found out I had TDSS, got rid of it and I'm now able to defrag and system restore. My system is also running better then it has in the past year. THANKS!

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,553 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2009 - 07:03 PM

Feedback appreciated, this may help someone with a similar/same problem. Happy computing :thumbsup:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users