Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

OS and software installations like new

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Alethinos

Alethinos

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:49 AM

Posted 19 May 2005 - 09:39 PM

I got a new laptop and am selling my old one (it's only a half year old). I want to reset the computer to the state that it came, like new. That is... the OS (XP Pro) installed, with all the bundled software. However, I want it to be the case where, when the new user (buyer) starts the computer, he/she will be taken to the Windows welcome and setup, as if windows had never been run before. How do I do that? I can certainly install everything fresh. But then I don't know how to get the computer back to the place where windows xp treats the boot like the first boot of the end user.

If I install everything the way I know how, everything will be registered with the name that I give it, rather than the name of the end user.

Any suggestions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:49 AM

Posted 19 May 2005 - 09:48 PM

Did your old laptop came with a recovery CD?
Doesn't that take you back to the 1st run state that you are trying to get to?

I am sure you could also do it with SYSPREP.

Joshuacat
JC

#3 Alethinos

Alethinos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2005 - 10:00 PM

the computer came with a few recovery CDs... but not one which resets the whole thing with the original software already installed.

what is sysprep?

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2005 - 09:16 AM

I believe that anytime you add a new user Windows starts them off with the tutorial screens.

One of the cds you got with the computer should be able to reset the op system with the bundled software while deleting your data.

#5 bizzyb0t

bizzyb0t

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:49 PM

Posted 24 May 2005 - 11:58 AM

Hmm,

Why not format HDD, install Windows XP from scratch... Enter the name as 'Default User' and the company name as 'Home'. If the person you sell it to want their name install as the EU then they can re-install Windows XP and it'll prompt them for the name and cd key again.

That way it'll be generic when you sell it. :thumbsup:
I tried for hours to come up with a signature and all I came up with was this.

#6 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:49 AM

Posted 24 May 2005 - 12:35 PM

Good idea bizzyb0t, that keeps it nice and simple. . Alethinos, sysprep may be a challenge to get working if you have never used it before. I also don't think you can use it with OEM versions of XP. Sorry for suggesting it. :thumbsup:
JC

#7 bizzyb0t

bizzyb0t

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:49 PM

Posted 24 May 2005 - 12:53 PM

thanx josh!

and yep, simple is always the way to go whenever possible because sometimes when working with windows, it's anything but simple :thumbsup:
I tried for hours to come up with a signature and all I came up with was this.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users