Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Fingerprint Reader not detected

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 apmiller

apmiller

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:40 AM

Posted 04 January 2009 - 12:24 PM

Hello,

I have a HP DV6700t laptop with Vista SP1. Recently, the fingerprint reader stopped working. Upon start-up it says that the fingerprint reader is not detected. I believe this may be related to an issue with a new driver downloaded from Windows Update called AuthenTec Inc. AES2501A. However, I have tried rolling it back to previous driver and still had the same problem. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:40 AM

Posted 04 January 2009 - 01:03 PM

Go to this link and select your version of Vista (regular or 64 bit), then download the driver AND the software for the fingerprint reader.

Uninstall the driver and software from the Control Panel...Programs applet, then install the stuff you just downloaded. Reboot and see if it works.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 apmiller

apmiller
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2009 - 01:29 PM

Thanks for the reply, but I'm not seeing the link.

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2009 - 01:37 PM

OK, so I'm getting old and the Alzheimer's is kicking in full force! :huh:
Don't make fun of me! :huh:

Seriously, I forgot the link, so here it is: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwar...submit=Go%20%BB
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 apmiller

apmiller
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2009 - 03:52 PM

Alright I did what you said but still no luck. Now when I try to enroll the fingerprints either when it boots up or through the enrollment wizard that comes with the software I get a message saying that it failed to access the fingerprint reader and to install the driver from the CD that came with my computer (which I don't have) or the website. I tried downloading the driver again, and did a repair install but the same thing happens. Any other ideas? Thanks.

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2009 - 04:08 PM

OK, a bit more aggressive this time:
- uninstall all software relating to the fingerprint reader in the Control Panel...Programs applet
- go into Device Manager, locate the fingerprint reader, right click on it and select "Uninstall" - DO NOT let Windows reinstall it.
- reboot and don't let Windows reinstall anything. If it does, uninstall it again (but don't reboot)
- install the driver that you downloaded first (don't do a repair, you want a complete install), then the software.
- reboot again and see if it works now.

BTW - another possibility is that the reader itself is malfunctioning. If this doesn't fix it, and the system is still under warranty - I'd suggest taking it in for service while it's still under warranty.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users