Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need help with sony DRU 500 AX DVD burner...

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 webe123

webe123

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:04 PM

Posted 19 May 2005 - 08:56 PM

OK, I have win xp pro installed...I have re- installed the latest firmware (version 2.1A) for my sony DRU 500 ax DVD burner. BUT in windows explorer...it ONLY recognises it as a cd burner.... WTF???

What the hell is going on with this burner? Does anyone know? I even tried to re-install nero version 6.6.0.8 after I had installed the latest firmware but no luck....it STILL will not burn my DVDs!

Do I just need to reformat?? For some reason....windows is not seeing my DVD burner as a DVD burner...it only says it is a cd burner! Is there a way to fix this?? Any help you could give would be appreciated.

By the way, when I try to burn a DVD, it only burns a short part of it and then spits it out and gives a message that says that the DVD wasn't burned properly!

Here are my specs:
System Specs: ATX generic case with Antec 550 watt power supply. ASUS A7N8X Deluxe Motherboard. Western Digital 7,200 RPM 40 gig IDE Hard Drive.(FAT 32- file system) AMD Athlon XP 2600 processor.(standard fan and heatsink-Thoroughbred Core-standard speed-NO OVERCLOCK) 1 gig of Samsung DDRAM(PC 2700- 333 mhz....2-512mb sticks running in dual channel mode).Ati Radeon 8x 9600 XT (8x is enabled on motherboard). Soundblaster Audigy 2 sound card. Motorola sb 5100 cable modem (Insight Communications-Cable Connection) Sony DRU 500 AX DVD- RECORDER.(records -R/-RW or +R/+RW and CD-R formats-4x-24x-4x) LG 52x32x52 CD Burner. Zip 100 internal drive and a generic 3.5 floppy drive. Windows XP Professional Operating System. I also have a bearpaw scanner, HP Deskjet 3520 inkjet printer and a KDS X Flat 17 inch CRT monitor.

Edited by webe123, 19 May 2005 - 09:06 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:04 PM

Posted 19 May 2005 - 09:19 PM

We had someone else post recently with the opposite problem.
His DVD worked, but his CD would not.:thumbsup:

Other recent issue

What exactly do you mean by this:

....windows is not seeing my DVD burner as a DVD burner...it only says it is a cd burner! Is there a way to fix this?? Any help you could give would be appreciated.

Can you read a DVD from this drive? Or, is this just a problem with burning DVD's?
What type of DVD's are you trying to use?

Joshuacat :flowers:
JC

#3 webe123

webe123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2005 - 05:18 AM

We had someone else post recently with the opposite problem.
His DVD worked, but his CD would not.:thumbsup:

Other recent issue

What exactly do you mean by this:

....windows is not seeing my DVD burner as a DVD burner...it only says it is a cd burner! Is there a way to fix this?? Any help you could give would be appreciated.

Can you read a DVD from this drive? Or, is this just a problem with burning DVD's?
What type of DVD's are you trying to use?

Joshuacat :flowers:

Ok what I mean is that in WINDOWS EXPLORER...all I am seeing is a cd burner for E: (the letter of my DVD burner) as far as PLAYING a DVD...YES it plays them just fine....but BURNING them with nero is where I am having the problem. I even went to device manager and uninstalled the DVD burner completely and rebooted and had win xp detect the DVD burner...but it STILL says it is a cd burner in windows explorer and my nero now does not burn DVDs! (It USED to burn DVDs just fine though.)

By the way...I read the post about the other guy and his problem.... and it seems that his is a sony cd burner instead if a DVD burner like mine...though BOTH are acting the very same way.....mine is doing exactly what his is doing...it will play DVD and cds and even burn cds...but NOT DVDs! I hope it is not the dvd burner....butr I seem to remember having this problem before and when I reformatted...the problem went away. I guess I will try that if all else fails. If not, this will be my LAST DVD Burner from Sony! I will just buy another brand! Still...I can't complain too much...as I got this burner when they first vcame out with dual format burners...this model was one of the first, so it may just need replacing....I guess I will see.

Edited by webe123, 20 May 2005 - 05:26 AM.

#4 webe123

webe123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2005 - 05:41 AM

BINGO!! I FOUND OUT WHAT WAS CAUSING THE PROBLEM!! It was ROXIO EASY MEDIA CREATOR!! I Removed that and the "dvd-rw drive e:" came back in windows explorer!!

If you are having problems with your cd or dvd burner remove that software and it might work!

#5 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2005 - 06:23 AM

Great! :thumbsup: So you think it was a conflict between Nero and Roxio?

I also have a Sony DVD burner with Nero. I had 2 problems with it:

1. I bought DVD's that were not on the recommended list for my burner. (I made far to many coasters) Since then, I have stuck with the recommended without any problems.

2. I used other burning software than the OEM software that came with the burner.

If I avoid the 2 problems above, I almost never have a problem with that DVD burner.

Joshuacat
JC

#6 webe123

webe123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2005 - 08:01 AM

Well NOW I found out that even though the stupid icon is back...I am STILL burning coasters! I have had enough...I am going to get me another brand of dvd burner and be done with it.

#7 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2005 - 09:07 AM

What type of DVD -R/-RW or +R/+RW are you using?
With everything closed down, internet disconnected, can you burn a DVD?
Have you tried to burn a different movie/data?
JC

#8 webe123

webe123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2005 - 02:58 AM

What type of DVD -R/-RW or +R/+RW are you using?
With everything closed down, internet disconnected, can you burn a DVD?
Have you tried to burn a different movie/data?

Actually I just pulled out the sony, threw it away, and put in a brand new BenQ 16x dvd-/+r burner! It works great and NO problems...so I am glad I got rid of that piece of junk!

#9 junkdk

junkdk

• Members
  • 345 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2005 - 02:33 AM

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

Dear webe,

Sony software sucks...really bad. Go get that drive out of the garbage!

Damn!

Sony makes the best no nonsense drives as long as you use different programing.

My, not so judicially friendly, computer has a Sony CD burner and DVD burner. The best burners I have ever worked with!

Now I keep them off the net and work with DVD Decrypter, DVD Shrink, and an old version of Clone CD and Nero.

Key to this all!! OFF THE NET!!

Hope that helps,

junkdk :thumbsup:

P.S. If you want to sell your Sony drives, let me know.
Your Hardware Guide.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users