Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Screen resolution

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 tpm

tpm

• Members
  • 355 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:00 PM

Posted 04 January 2009 - 08:49 AM

Hello

About 4 times yesterday my screen resolution reverted back to 800 x 600. At the time I was unable to change it except for either restarting or sometimes changing user names. Running Vista on a Gateway FX530
6600 processor 2.40
GeForce 7600 video card I believe and a
24" HD Gateway monitor

Anything I can check?

Thanks

Edited by tpm, 04 January 2009 - 08:49 AM.

Tom

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,089 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:00 PM

Posted 04 January 2009 - 09:39 AM

The first thing to try would be to update your video drivers from here: http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 tpm

tpm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 355 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2009 - 10:29 AM

Thanks for replying John
I updated the driver back in October so I didn't think there would be any updates. I checked anyway and found an update dated Oct. 15th. I have an update from Oct. 10th. I downloaded and installed the new driver, restarted. It still shows the older driver. I did it a second time just to make sure but no change.
My driver is

10/7/2008
NVIDIA 7600GT

Website shows

GeForce Release 178 WHQL
Version: 178.24
Release Date: October 15, 2008
Operating System: Windows Vista 32-bit

Now what?? I went to device manager and searched for a better driver. It stated I had the latest available

Thanks
Tom

#4 tpm

tpm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 355 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2009 - 10:34 AM

Going to Nvidia control panel it shows I have the new driver. but not what it shows in Device Manager

NVIDIA System Information report created on: 01/04/2009 10:30:52
System name: DEN-COMPUTER

[Display]
Processor: Intel® Core™2 CPU 6600 @ 2.40GHz (2400 MHz)
Operating System: Windows Vista ™ Home Premium, 32-bit (Service Pack 1)
DirectX version: 10.0
GPU processor: GeForce 7600 GT
Driver version: 178.24
Core clock: 562 MHz
Shader clock: 562 MHz
Memory clock: 702 MHz (1404 MHz data rate)
Memory interface: 128-bit
Total available graphics memory: 1662 MB
Dedicated video memory: 256 MB
System video memory: 0 MB
Shared system memory: 1406 MB
Video BIOS version: 5.73.22.61.00
IRQ: 16
Bus: PCI Express x16

[Components]

nvCplUIR.dll 2.1.270.00 NVIDIA Control Panel
nvCpl.cpl 2.1.270.00 NVIDIA Control Panel Applet
nvExpBar.dll 1.5.600.00 NVIDIA Control Panel
nvCplUI.exe 2.1.270.00 NVIDIA Control Panel
nvViTvSR.dll 7.15.11.7813 NVIDIA Video and TV Server
nvViTvS.dll 7.15.11.7824 NVIDIA Video and TV Server
nvDispSR.dll 7.15.11.7813 NVIDIA Display Server
NVMCTRAY.DLL 7.15.11.7824 NVIDIA Media Center Library
nvDispS.dll 7.15.11.7824 NVIDIA Display Server
NVCPL.DLL 7.15.11.7824 NVIDIA Compatible Windows Vista Display driver, Version 178.24
nvGameSR.dll 7.15.11.7813 NVIDIA 3D Settings Server
nvGameS.dll 7.15.11.7824 NVIDIA 3D Settings Server
Tom

#5 usasma

usasma

• 25,089 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2009 - 12:02 PM

I'd suspect that there's a minor corruption in your video driver that's causing the problem. Minor corruptions are fairly common - and they don't change the version number - so even having the latest driver is no assurance that it's working properly.

As background, in the old days (a year or two ago) it was necessary to use a tool to remove all components of an nVidia driver in order to get it fully updated. Back then there were 3 steps to troubleshooting this problem:
- just plain updating the driver
- uninstalling the driver, then updating it
- using a removal tool, then updating the driver.

So, the next step would be to remove the nVidia driver using the Control Panel...Programs applet.
Then reboot the system - if it tries to reinstall your video card, cancel out of the installation.
Then double click on the latest version that you downloaded and install that.

If this still doesn't fix it, then try the procedure here (under the Old Driver Removal section): http://www.tweakguides.com/NVFORCE_3.html

Just FYI - this is assuming that the video drivers are the issue. Should there be another problem (such as malware, Windows corruption, bad hardware, etc) then the fix probably won't work. But you'll have ruled out the drivers as an issue, so you can move on to further troubleshooting.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 tpm

tpm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 355 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2009 - 01:06 PM

Ok john

I un-installed and reinstalled the driver. I will see how it operates now and then take it from there. So far today the resolution isn't acting up. Still concerned about the driver date being 10-07-08 when the latest driver says 10-15-08. When I did the uninstall the driver reverted back to 09-17-08, version 7813

Thanks again and I'll keep you posted
Tom

#7 usasma

usasma

• 25,089 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2009 - 01:34 PM

There are actually a number of drivers installed - so if it reads an older one that wasn't updated, then you'll get the wrong date.

And this will take us into a discussion of the WDDM (Windows Display Driver Model) and the WDM (Windows Driver Model) and how there's no way to force the manufacturer/writer to comply with it! :huh:

Edited by usasma, 04 January 2009 - 01:35 PM.

#8 tpm

tpm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 355 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2009 - 01:38 PM

So there is nothing more to do then?? :huh:
Tom

#9 usasma

usasma

• 25,089 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2009 - 02:25 PM

Not unless it starts acting up again. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"

#10 tpm

tpm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 355 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2009 - 06:31 PM

OK then. It has been good all day so hopefully it will stay that way
Have a wonderful 2009 John and thank you for your help once again
Tom

#11 usasma

usasma

• 25,089 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2009 - 08:50 PM

Good luck and happy computing!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users