Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Advent 7077 (Ecsg733g) Post/Boot failure

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 smeagol

smeagol

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:37 AM

Posted 04 January 2009 - 08:37 AM

Hi, i have here an Advent 7077 laptop, Intel pentium4 running XP home. The info i have got is that it became erratic to boot, occasionally it would boot up o.k, but more often it would shut down during POST with either two or ten beeps. Now it is failing every time with ten beeps. When you try to power it up now, the DVD light lights for a few seconds, but then it shuts down with a very brief flash from the hard drive light as it does so.
Any ideas as to what may be wrong would be much appreciated. thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2009 - 11:02 AM

I'm not very good with laptops, but it would sound as if some piece of hardware is failing. I wouldn't be surprised if the motherboard itself has gone bad. First though, I would check the manual. It will usually tell you what those beeps mean, depending on how many and how quickly they beep.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#3 smeagol

smeagol
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2009 - 05:21 AM

Thanks for the reply, sorry took so long to get back to you.I wondered also if it could be a motherboard problem, I found a while ago some info on the error code beeps, however, they seemed to suggest it could be the cmos battery or the memory module, both of which I have tried replacing. Other than that, trawling through the net I'm finding very little, are motherboards expensive or hard to replace in laptops?

#4 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2009 - 04:52 PM

Generally, they are very expensive, especially since you would probably need the same exact model. Some even have the processor soldered into them, making them cost even more.

With a Pentium 4 system, you would probably be better off just buying a new laptop for even $400 with a Pentium dual-core or an AMD Turion X2 processor that would be much superior than yours.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users