Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

video issues

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 nekedneken

nekedneken

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:31 AM

Posted 04 January 2009 - 07:23 AM

Hi everyone, I have found some great answers over here before but this is the first time posing. Thanks in advance. I recently acquired a dell dimension 4600, nothing fancy but a decent upgrade from my old setup however I have been having some video issues.

I attempted to install a geforce 7600gt that I have confirmed works, this is the first video card that has been installed on this computer ever. When I start the computer with the card in place I get no video from it or the onboard video. I tried a second video card and got the same result. The only way I can get video is if there is no video card in the agp socket and I use the onboard setup. I looked in the bios to see if I could disable the onboard and only use the agp card but it was not an option. I fear the socket is dead but I'm not sure how I can test it. If anyone can recommend any alternate ideas or software that could test the motherboard/agp it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:31 AM

Posted 04 January 2009 - 11:20 AM

welcome to bleepingcomputer!

First off, how many watts does your power supply have? Also, how many amps are on the +12V rail(s)? On the power supply it will save +12V and a number next to it that is labeled with an "a". Let us know what that number is.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#3 nekedneken

nekedneken
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2009 - 07:15 PM

Hi Sterling, thanks for the reply. The power supply has an output of 250W with 16.0A on the +12V rail and 1.0A on the -12V. Hope this helps.

#4 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:31 AM

Posted 04 January 2009 - 07:36 PM

I believe that is your problem. The card is required to have a minimum of a 300 watt power supply, and I'm not sure how many amps, but probably around 25 or so. The onboard stops working while the graphics card is in because the computer knows there has been a graphics card added in, and automatically disables the onboard.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#5 nekedneken

nekedneken
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2009 - 08:43 PM

Awesome thanks a bunch! I unplugged the power on the Cd/DVD drives and was able to get enough power to use the older video card an ATI 9000. I will look around for another compatible power supply and see if I can get the geforce working with at least 1 of the other drives. Thanks again for your help.

#6 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:31 AM

Posted 04 January 2009 - 11:51 PM

I'm not sure if the Dell Dimension 4600 uses a proprietary PSU or connections, if it does, you're going to have to search for a compatible unit.

Link
Dell proprietary (non-standard) ATX design

3939.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users