Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Game installer keeps on popping out

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ayeika

ayeika

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:15 AM

Posted 04 January 2009 - 07:19 AM

Greetings.

Now I am having problem everytime that I start up my PC, this Lineage II installation keeps on popping out everytime I start my PC. It was tolerable before I have to cancel it everytime but I'm getting annoyed by it.

So I check on the start-up on msconfig but notice nothing on it. I run the windows task manager and found these one running and eventually disappear when I cancel the installation pop-up. The process are

PnkbstrA.exe
PnkbstrB.exe

Its located on windows/system32

I would like to ask some technical people about these one. Are these files safe to delete? I have run a combofix.exe for now... some advised me to use this one on our forum.

Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,801 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:15 PM

Posted 04 January 2009 - 12:34 PM

Hello ayeika and welcome to BC :thumbsup:

I am shifting this topic from the HiJack This forum to the Am I Infected forum as you haven't posted any logs.

Who advised you to run Combofix? ComboFix is an extremely powerful tool which should only be used when instructed to do so by someone who has been properly trained. ComboFix is intended by its creator to be "used under the guidance and supervision of an expert." It is NOT for private use. Please read Combofix's Disclaimer. Using this tool incorrectly could lead to disastrous problems with your operating system such as preventing it from ever starting again.

There are not a few posts I've seen in which someone used it and their computer became an expensive doorstop. You're lucky that yours hasn't.

That said, what is your operating system: Windows XP, Vista, etc.?

What security programs do you have installed?

Orange Blossom :flowers:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#3 ayeika

ayeika
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2009 - 02:06 AM

Thanks for the welcome. I see. Guess I am not that techie to know that combofix was a powerful tool as you mentioned.

I am using windows XP. I've been playing Lineage II for quite a while. The problem started when my AVG began to detect the L2.exe which is the lineage program as a virus. So bottom line, I reinstall the software. So the problem started to show when it was installed then updated.

The PnkbsterA and B are the ones that I usually see at the Task Manager that disappear whenever I force to shut the dialog box down.

Do you have any idea about these exe files since they are stored in system32 and if they would besafe to delete or something. I haven't used my home PC and log to the game because I'm too busy at work but I will be probably try it tomorrow so I would like to get any advise that I can get.

Thank you very much.

#4 ayeika

ayeika
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2009 - 07:07 AM

Good day. I deleted those two files that I mentioned but it is still there. Now I check on the process and this one comes out and disappear when I cancel the installation.

msiexec.exe

How can I remove this one? From sites that I visit they say its a malware. Please help. Thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users