Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Using XP-MCE Recovery Disk

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:40 PM

Posted 04 January 2009 - 06:43 AM

Hi,

I am trying to get a computer up and running after the Vista Ultimate product key expired. This was a paid upgrade from XP MCE to Vista Ultimate at a computer shop (now out of business) but apparently it was a rip-off because when I called Microsoft to get the code reactivated, the code they issued me, after saying they have validated this copy of Vista, does not work. When I put the code in it tells me that it does not match what is installed. I cannot do anything with the computer after windows loads since this key is expired.

The owner of the computer would like to go back to the XP that the computer came with, however, the computer only came with a recovery disk, not the actual XP disk. Does anyone know if I can still use this XP MCE recovery disk now that Vista is installed on the system and if so, how I go about using it?

All I really know about this system is that it is HP with a lot of ram. It does not show me anything other than the HP logo at startup, I am guessing that is because of Vista but I do not know for sure. I have never dealt with Vista before tonight.

Btw, I am posting this in the XP forum since I am inquiring about using an XP recovery disk to return to XP and I apologize if I should have posted it in the Vista forum.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,089 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:40 AM

Posted 04 January 2009 - 09:20 AM

If the owner has the original disks that came with the HP computer, then they can use those disks to reformat the computer to the original factory state. In general there are several disks involved in this, not just the XP MCE disk (there's usually a drivers & applications disk also).

If you just use the XP MCE disk, the system won't be likely to have the required drivers. Most times you can download the drivers from the HP support website.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,254 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:40 AM

Posted 04 January 2009 - 09:27 AM

Hi :thumbsup:.

From what I understand about HP systems for MCE...use of the recovery CDs does not depend upon any partition that exists on the system...so that would mean that the overwriting of the original O/S should not be important. "Should" being the key word here.

It would seem that deletion of the current partition, followed by use of the CDs...ought to get the job done.

Louis

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,089 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:40 AM

Posted 04 January 2009 - 09:49 AM

HP's have several different recovery options - and it varies from model to model

- recovery from the CD/DVD, and the CD/DVD is tattoo'd with the motherboard model
- recovery from the CD/DVD, and the CD/DVD is not tattoo'd
- recovery from the recovery partition (usually by pressing F11)
- recovery from the recovery partition - but user-made recovery disks are required to access the recovery partition.
- I haven't tried recovering from the user-made recovery disks when the recovery partition is missing - so YMMV (Your Mileage May Vary).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:40 PM

Posted 04 January 2009 - 07:54 PM

Thank you everyone

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users