Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem installing Kaspersky

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 anirudh215

anirudh215

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:53 PM

Posted 04 January 2009 - 05:49 AM

I have purchased the new Kaspersky Anti-virus. I tried to install it and it gave me a message to remove AVG from my computer first. By mistake, I deleted the files by right clicking on the AVG folder in the Program Files folder instead of removing it using the Control Panel. Now when I try again, Kaspersky gives me the same error message but there is no AVG folder on my computer at all. What should I do?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:53 PM

Posted 04 January 2009 - 08:34 AM

Download and install AVG, then uninstall it properly. After that Kaspersky will install nicely.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 anirudh215

anirudh215
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2009 - 10:05 AM

I tried that but to no avail....

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2009 - 11:12 AM

You'll have to yank references to AVG from your files and the registry. This is a very dangerous and painful process. It took 2 techs 4 hours to do just the registry when removing Norton 360 (this was after using the Norton Removal Tool).

I refuse to accept any responsibility for this! The chances of hosing your system are high, and the chances of removing it successfully are slim. But, OTOH, what have you got to lose? If you hose it, you'll have to reinstall - which is the other way to fix this problem anyway.

Backup anything that you plan on deleting. Most importantly, backup your entire registry!!! Also, backup anything (your files/data) that you can't afford to lose!

Then start carefully removing keys that have reference to AVG or to Grisoft.
If it's only one key in the left hand pane, you can usually remove it safely.
If it's more than one key in the left hand pane, then likely that whole sub-key is for AVG. So you'll have to navigate upwards until you find a single key that relates to AVG only - then delete that.
The difficulty here is that AVG may have keys that don't say "AVG" or "Grisoft" - they may be random text entries or CLSID's. This is where the danger lies. A wrong step and you may find yourself in deep "stuff" with no easy way out of it.

Don't forget to delete the startup entries for AVG and it's services, and also delete the files/directories that it uses.

After all this is done (if your system still works), try installing Kaspersky. If it installs, you were successful (but we don't know about any collateral damage that may have occurred). If it doesn't install, then you didn't delete enough - so it's back to hunting for stuff to remove!

Good luck!
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 anirudh215

anirudh215
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2009 - 01:01 AM

Remove keys? What does that mean? What left hand pane? Whats a subkey? I'll do all this provided you tell me where I can find this stuff. I am willing to take a risk.

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2009 - 11:09 AM

The registry is a very complicated piece of software that controls every aspect of your system.
I'd first suggest that you learn about the registry - and that's going to take a long while.
After that the instructions above should make more sense to you.

Here's a good book to start with: http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/books/8762.aspx
The book is about 2" thick, so it's a lotta reading!

Good luck!

Edited by usasma, 07 January 2009 - 11:09 AM.
Removed 2nd post of double post

#7 RedDawn

RedDawn

• Members
  • 454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:53 PM

Posted 07 January 2009 - 06:22 PM

Sorry to intrude, but this might be of help:

# AVG Remover Tool
http://www.grisoft.com/download-tools

"Note from AVG:
AVG Remover utility removes all parts of AVG installation on your computer, including registry items, installation and user files on your disk, etc. AVG Remover is the least option to be used in case the AVG uninstallation / repair installation process has failed repeatedly.

Warning: All AVG user settings will be removed after the uninstallation, as well as the Virus Vault content and other item related to AVG installation and use. During the removal procedure you will be asked to restart your computer. Therefore please make sure to finish your work and to save all important data prior to AVG Remover launch."

From your Admin Acount:
  • Save the uninstaller to your computer.
  • Close all running programs.
  • Run the uninstaller (in Vista, right click it and select "run as administrator").
  • Reboot.

Best of luck. :huh:

#8 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2009 - 07:29 PM

Great link RedDawn! Thanks!

#9 RedDawn

RedDawn

• Members
  • 454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:53 PM

Posted 07 January 2009 - 08:57 PM

Great link RedDawn! Thanks!

You're very welcome. :huh:

#10 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,574 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2009 - 10:29 PM

After all that cleanup using the uninstaller, also check hidden devices (My computer, properties, hardware, device manager,
Click view and show hidden devices
AVG or Grisoft might show up
I'd be reluctant to delete off hand, but when you click properties on both it should say something to the effect it's not enabled or not connected. Uninstall is definitely an option when it is already not enabled, not known, disconnected or other such words.

Kaspersky does not tolerate ANY traces of ANY security programs. Their installation instructions say so.
In fact most antimalware worth their beans behave in a similar manner due to imbedding themselves so deep into the system.

Edit: One other thing - uninstall the firewall if you have one (stop it, uninstall clean, don't do the add/remove unless firewall instructions say so). Install KAV, reinstall firewall. I found, when I used KAV, firewall had to go in after KAV.

Edited by tos226, 07 January 2009 - 10:31 PM.

#11 anirudh215

anirudh215
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2009 - 01:54 AM

Why me?? Nothing works and whats more, after that thing rebooted, I have a problem starting up Vista. The 'loading' bar just keeps going forever. I have now restarted like 10 times to come online. This problem was there before and has reared its ugly head again. Now what?

#12 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2009 - 08:43 AM

This is sounding more and more as if you're infected. Try the advice in this post: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/blogs/usas...?showentry=1252

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users