Posted 04 January 2009 - 04:27 AM
My wife caught a couple trojans on facebook yesterday and I'm having a heck of a time getting rid of it. My story seems pretty typical to other posts here, but I'll follow the rules.
I have ESET NOD32 and purchased superantispyware.com's product and it appeared to have removed the trojans. The names ESET found were win32/trojandownloader.fakealert.TF and BHO.NKU trojan.
I used another pc to get the install files and installed the antispyware and it appeared to have detected and removed the files, etc. However, I cannot get to certain sites like superantispyware.com, cexx.org, the spybot installer, etc. I wrote the superantivirus customer support and they thought it could be set in the DNS, it's not. To check the LSP/Namespace provider and I found a couple of those tools one on cexx.org and they didn't work either. More specifically, I used LSP-FIX and removed all the modules. That ruined my TCPIP completely so I reinstalled Win XP Home SP2 with the R option and it didn't fix it. I ran another utility and it fixed the TCPIP and now I'm back online but still cannot get to these sites. I also renamed the winsock2 registry folder to oldwinsock2 and reinstalled XP Home SP2 again and I'm still no better off.
Thanks for your help!