Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

GPU always seems to be running hot

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Vaerli

Vaerli

• Members
  • 582 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:13 PM

Posted 04 January 2009 - 03:03 AM

Lately i've noticed that my video card's fan speed has been really loud. So, i got the nvidia system checker, and at idle its sitting at 64 C. When i use it at all though, it jumps up to around 80 C. This makes the fan go almost unbearable much of the time for me, but i've had it for around six months, and its never done this to me before. Also, when running at load a few months ago, it was smooth still for basic usage, but slowly it degraded to lagging things just everywhere while running at full load, and then the fan is noticable. Could it be a virus? Or perhaps just time and use? It seems like computer hardware gets slower as its used, but its dropped a lot lately. Or, could it just need to be cleaned from lint and dust? I tried to the other day, but it was fairly good even then.

Q6600, 4GB g-skill, 8800GT, P5N-D motherboard
Posted Image
My art

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:13 PM

Posted 04 January 2009 - 10:59 AM

I would of suggested cleaning your case out, especially around the fans, but you said you already did that. Those temperatures aren't ridiculously high, if you could drop the idle temp down to 60C or less and the load temp down to around 75C or less, you would probably be fine.

Also, have you tried updating the drivers recently?
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users