Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need help with my mouse

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 meinlexington

meinlexington

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:04 AM

Posted 04 January 2009 - 12:03 AM

I have a Gateway USB Optical mouse that constantly disconnects. It will work fine for anywhere between 3-20 minutes then the computer makes that 'DING' sound that it makes when something is unplugged or plugged in. The only way to restore it is to unplug it then plug it back in. I've updated the driver, scanned for viruses and spyware, checked the connection (it is snug), restored the computer to a point before it started doing this, cleaned the mouse inside and out, and also dusted out the inside of the computer. Last night i went to the Microsoft website and found a possible solution (uninstalling the mouse, removing registry keys etc...) and that didn't work either.

It's really annoying to have to constantly pull the computer out to unplug and plug it back in. I've even hooked up another mouse and it worked for about 15 minutes then started doing the same thing. I dont know what else to do...

I also had this problem about 2 years ago and ended up doing a system recovery and that fixed it for a while (up until about 3 weeks ago), but i lost all my files in the process, so i really dont want to have to do that again.

I love this site and have been using it for a long time to keep my computer running smoothly. If anyone has any ideas I would greatly appreciate it. I really dont want to lose all my files again.

(it even unplugged while i was typing this lol :thumbsup: )

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:04 PM

Posted 04 January 2009 - 01:10 AM

Have you tried a different USB port on your computer?
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 meinlexington

meinlexington
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2009 - 01:27 AM

i did and still stops working

#4 meinlexington

meinlexington
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2009 - 01:50 AM

My mouse has been working for over an hour now!!!

I was reading through some of the other topics and someone posted a link to 'Startup Inspector'. I dl'ed and ran it and saw a file named 'nview' which was tagged as a user optional service, but said that it has caused problems on some computers, so i stopped it from running since i dont have multiple monitors.

Not sure if this was the problem, because it's been on my computer for about as long as i can remember.

but...so far so good!!!

I'll be back if the problem continues again

#5 lowtek_otc

lowtek_otc

• Members
  • 280 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:04 AM

Posted 04 January 2009 - 02:37 AM

I am interested if that helped permanently.

Since the restore fixed it I was going to say that it was a software issue for sure, so it would not surprise me that the nview app may have caused a conflict. Did you try updating your video card drivers perhaps there was a new version of nview that does not give the issue? Although you said you do not need multiple monitors so disable it if it is the fix or you dont need it.

#6 meinlexington

meinlexington
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2009 - 07:17 PM

DAMN IT!!!

ok apparently that wasn't the issue...ive been disconnecting still. Will try upgrading the video card driver next

ugh

#7 suvarghyadutta

suvarghyadutta

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2009 - 06:47 AM

Hello,

i have the exactly same problem with my Microsoft USB mouse. It just didnt work and finally I had to switch over to a PS2 mouse with which I am working now. I would be very interested to find out how this issue is fixed.

#8 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2009 - 04:37 PM

Check your devices in Device Manager (Start > Run > type "devmgmt.msc" (without the quotes) and press Enter). Look for any "!", "?" or "X" symbols.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#9 meinlexington

meinlexington
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2009 - 06:44 PM

i tried updating the video driver and i have the latest version. I've also tried a ps2 mouse but it does the same thing, and the device manager says everything is ok (no !, X, or ?'s).

The diconnecting isn't happening as often as it was before, but then again I'm not using the comp as much because of this problem (which really sucks because my memberships on some sites are just wasting away)

I appreciate your guy's feedback and suggestions, if you've got any more ideas, I'm willing to try them.

p.s. - I have a quick question about my nvidea driver. I went to update it and several drivers came up in the list. The version that I'm using was the highest on the list, but their was one with a lower version number that was digitally signed by microsoft (the only one on the list that was digitally signed). Should i use the older version since it is signed or stick with the higher version that i already have? (I'll ask this in a seperate topic as well, because it may not be your alls specialty)

Thanks

#10 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2009 - 07:08 PM

I would go with the higher version, and revert to the other one if you have problems. Even if you already had the latest driver, you should still try reinstalling (if you didn't try that already).

—George Bernard Shaw

#11 suvarghyadutta

suvarghyadutta

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2009 - 11:00 PM

Check your devices in Device Manager (Start > Run > type "devmgmt.msc" (without the quotes) and press Enter). Look for any "!", "?" or "X" symbols.

Hello,

Even though this post wasnt started by me, I shall be grateful if I am permitted to respond to Budapest's question: Yes I do see the yellow ! next to Human Interface Device in the 'device manager' screen. Trying to uninstal and reinstal has however yielded no results.

Many thanks.

#12 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2009 - 11:22 PM

Even though this post wasnt started by me, I shall be grateful if I am permitted to respond to Budapest's question: Yes I do see the yellow ! next to Human Interface Device in the 'device manager' screen. Trying to uninstal and reinstal has however yielded no results.

Right click on the device in question and select Properties. Then click the Details Tab. Post back what you find, which will look something like this:

HID\VID_045E&PID_00DD&MI_01\7&315BACBA&0&0000

Also, what is the make and model number of your computer.

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users