Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer freeze

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 annon

annon

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:35 PM

Posted 03 January 2009 - 11:34 PM

Windows XP Professional SP2
Processor: Intel® Celeron® CPU 2.40GHZ
224MB RAM, 80GB HDD
Graphics: S3 Graphics Pro Savage DDR
Audio: VIA AC'97 Audio (WAVE)
CMOS Battery failed.

After several or sometimes a few minutes logged on to Windows XP, the computer just freeze. No animation, no movements. It happens every time I logged on. Also, no activity signs on the LED. Tried to update through windows update but the computer freeze before it can scan for updates. Also tried booting in Safe Mode with networking, same thing happens. I also know that the CMOS Battery failed.

I have tried installing a separate Windows XP on another paritition and the computer freezes during the installation. I suspect it is a hardware issue.

What should I do?

Edited by annon, 04 January 2009 - 01:04 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:35 PM

Posted 04 January 2009 - 01:08 AM

Firstly you should replace the CMOS Battery (if you haven't already).

Have a look in the Event Viewer for any errors at the time of the freezes.

To open the Event Viewer go to Start > Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Event Viewer. Alternately, go to Start > Run and type in "eventvwr.msc" (without the quotes) and press Enter.

Check in all the categories.

If you find an error that occurred at the time right-click on it and select properties. Copy the information in the window and post it back here. This will help us diagnose your problem.

How To Use the Event Viewer
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 annon

annon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2009 - 05:52 AM

I cannot find an error occured at the right time. However, these are the logs that happened before and after the freeze..

----------

Before freeze:

Event Type: Information
Event Source: Service Control Manager
Event Category: None
Event ID: 7036
Date: 1/4/2009
Time: 6:16:38 PM
User: N/A
Computer: OWNER357
Description:
The HTTP SSL service entered the running state.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

After the freeze:

Event Source: EventLog
Event ID: 6009
Time: 6:27:05 PM
Description:
Microsoft ® Windows ® 5.01. 2600 Service Pack 2 Uniprocessor Free.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

..and..

Event Source: SecurityCenter
Event ID: 1800
Time: 6:27:36 PM
Description:
The Windows Security Center Service has started.

-----------

Hope that helps..

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:35 PM

Posted 05 January 2009 - 04:43 AM

Try running a diagnostic test on the hard drive. Do you know what make of hard drive you have?
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 annon

annon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2009 - 05:50 AM

My hard drive brand is Samsung..

Since my last post, I have done the following:

- Scan the computer using Malwarebytes, Avast (window and boot scan), CCLeaner and HijackThis. I deleted every viruses and fixed registry issues found. Problem still persists.

- I installed speedfan and keep it running to check whether a component is overheating. When the computer froze, speedfan showing suspicious red arrow pointing up besides the hard drive at 49 Celsius.

- I replaced hard disks with my other fully functional desktop's hard disk and successfully installed Windows XP on it. After several minutes, maybe 20 minutes.. it froze. HD temperature managed to reach 58C.

- I replaced the 224 MB RAM with my other desktop's 224 MB RAM. It still doesn't solved the problem. Only noticeable change is, it took a longer time before it froze again.

- I put back the hard disk, and do the Scan disk and also defragmented it. Mysteriously, both tools finished successfully before it hung up.

- I tried booting using Ubuntu from CD. No success.

- Tried combining the two RAMs (~448 MB RAM). Still no success.

What could be the problem? Is it the motherboard, the CPU or BIOS?

Edited by annon, 05 January 2009 - 08:36 AM.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,734 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:35 PM

Posted 05 January 2009 - 02:23 PM

Quite honestly, I am one of those persons who have never thought for a single minute to be concerned about hard drive temperatures...I've always assumed :thumbsup:...yes, I know...that, if important, such would be revealed when/if I decide to run a manufacturer's hard drive diagnostic.

You may want to look at this: http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/archives/000748.html

If your hard drive temps seem high to you...what are your CPU temps looking like?

Are you running these checks with the cover on the system? If so, I suggest trying them without the cover, for purposes of comparison.

Edit: The suggestion to run a diagnostic from the Samsung website was a good one. Be sure to download the correct utility to check your drive (there are several, depending on the drive model/series.

http://www.samsung.com/us/support/main/supportSupportMain.do

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 05 January 2009 - 02:27 PM.

#7 annon

annon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2009 - 07:38 AM

Thanks for helping. The Samsung website doesn't provide any update for my hard disk. Its model is Samsung SP02842N. Also, replacing hard disk doesn't solve the problem.. The odd thing is, it froze only at the graphical OS (XP and Ubuntu) and not the command prompt based OS. What would happen if i format everything on the hard disk? Will the issue be gone? Can virus go as far as affecting hardware other than hard disk?

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,734 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:35 PM

Posted 07 January 2009 - 11:23 AM

Diagnostic: http://www.samsung.com/global/business/hdd...port_HUTIL.html

You posted the wrong model/series number.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 07 January 2009 - 11:24 AM.

#9 annon

annon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2009 - 09:18 AM

I already tried the diagnostic. No error found. Could it be the graphic chipset problem?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users