Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Search History!

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 mes_tarrant

mes_tarrant

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:30 AM

Posted 19 May 2005 - 06:46 PM

Hey guys. I hope this is the right forum to post this. I'm using windows XP, and I mainly use msn explorer or firefox for the internet. How do you clear the search history in those two?? There are things that have been there for MONTHS, ever since I first typed something in! :thumbsup:

Mod Edit: This will be moved to a more appropriate Forum. And since there is another thread that is quite similar. I will be merging the two as well.

Edited by scarlett, 20 May 2005 - 08:37 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• BC Advisor
  • 12,944 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:30 AM

Posted 19 May 2005 - 07:12 PM

Hi mes_tarrant and welcome to Bleeping Computer!

For Internet Explorer:

Open the browser and click TOOLS on the top toolbar.
A drop down menu will open... click on Internet Options.
A new window will open. The third section down should be HISTORY. (If not select the GENERAL TAB).
Click on the CLEAR HISTORY button.
Click OK to close the window.

For Firefox:

Click on TOOLS on the top tool bar.
A drop down menu will open... Click on OPTIONS.
A new window will open. On the left side of the window you will see an icon of a lock labeled PRIVACY. Click on the lock.
The first item under privacy should be HISTORY. Click on the CLEAR button next to History.
Click OK to close the window.

I hope this helps... Good luck,

Rigel

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself." ~ unknown

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

#3 mes_tarrant

mes_tarrant
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2005 - 08:13 PM

Oh thank you very much! What about for msn explorer? Or does clearing it in internet explorer clear it there too?

#4 mes_tarrant

mes_tarrant
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2005 - 09:50 PM

I meant to ask this question earlier but realized that the phrase I used meant something different. :thumbsup:

I'm not sure what this is called, but you know when you go to a search engine and type the first letter of what you're looking for in.. and a list of words or phrases that you have previously searched for that start with that letter also appear? Well how do you clear all that from MSN explorer? I have words and phrases that have been there for months and months!

#5 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2005 - 11:47 PM

Here are some different options for you:

Settings
Internet Options
General
"Clear History" will delete the history of pages visited. You can also change the number of days to keep pages in history.

Settings
Internet Options
Advanced
under Browsing, uncheck "use inline autocomplete" to prevent autocomplete.

To Clear auto complete entries,
go back to content, look for personal information, click on "auto complete" to get a panel on which you can clear all entries.

Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#6 mes_tarrant

mes_tarrant
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2005 - 02:42 AM

I actually don't see a "settings" tab on my browser. Hmmm. MSN explorer is kind of different than internet explorer.

#7 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2005 - 05:30 AM

MSN Explorer is an IE clone. Do you have a Tools menu in that?

If you really want to clear your history use CCleaner. Does a much better job. Stay away from the Issues tab though unless you have a specific problem with the registry.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#8 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:30 PM

Posted 20 May 2005 - 06:49 AM

Look for 'Internet Options' in your Control Panel, you should see what jgweed is talking about there.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#9 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• BC Advisor
  • 12,944 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:30 AM

Posted 20 May 2005 - 08:15 AM

Hi mes_tarrant,

Yes, MSN explorer is just a different flavor of Internet explorer. They customize their browser to fit that theme.

CCleaner is a nice tool. It removes all temporary files, internet temporary files, etc.. from your computer. I have used it... good way to keep your computer free from old junk files. So, it depends on what you want to remove. Both ways work to remove history.

Take care,

Rigel

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself." ~ unknown

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users