Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

new CPU

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 thefriesguy

thefriesguy

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:35 AM

Posted 03 January 2009 - 10:54 PM

hey, guys. no problems this time, just some research into an upgrade.

hamluis, if you read this, you know i've got an intel P4 2.4 GHz in the motherboard right now. with the help of CPU-Z, i found out it's in socket 478. since i'm restricted to 478, i'm wondering just how fast i can find processors, and if i can upgrade to dual core.

i'm asking because i'm trying to make this computer last as long as possible as a gaming computer, hopefully until i get my own job and can get a better one.

thanks guys

~the fries guy

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2009 - 11:09 PM

I doubt you will find a dual core 478 since the processors supported are generally limited to the Celeron and Pentium 4. The 478 was phased out in favor of Socket LGA 775 which the Core and Core 2 processors use. I say save your money and get a new PC in the future.

Edited by DJBPace07, 03 January 2009 - 11:09 PM.

3939.png

#3 thefriesguy

thefriesguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2009 - 11:25 PM

crap.

okay, thanks for the advice.

0 user(s) are reading this topic