Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Deleted Windows Account and now everything is gone.

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 mrdave100

mrdave100

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:53 PM

Posted 03 January 2009 - 10:53 PM

I'm running XP-Home on our machine. I recently set up an administrator account for my wife and limited access account for my son. They changed the passwords without my knowledge. I rebooted into safe mode, ran 'control userpasswords2'. I noticed there were other accounts there. I think something like HP owner or maybe something else. I deleted them all, including my wife and son's accounts but not the default Administrator account. Rebooted the computer and now all my wifes documents, pictures, and programs are gone. When I go into Windows Explorer and click HP_Owner under the Documents and Settings folder it says this folder is not accessible and it has zero bytes. I pulled the hard drive out and tried to access the documents that way but only got the same error message. There must be some way to access these pictures and documents, I didn't delete them, I apparently deleted the account they were under.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 03 January 2009 - 11:50 PM

When you delete a user account, there are 2 options:

Keep the files of the account on the computer Or delete files. It sounds as if you chose the second option, which deleted your wife's files when you deleted the account.

Keep files would have deleted the account, but the files would have been kept on the computer. These files could have been moved to new accounts for your wife.

You might be able to recover the files with recovery software. Since I have no experience with recovery software, someone else can recommend programs for you to try.

The HP owner account is set up as a default account by HP. I've successfully deleted the owner account in the past-and have no clue why it still shows on your system if you deleted it.

#3 lowtek_otc

lowtek_otc

• Members
  • 280 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2009 - 02:33 AM

When you delete a user account, there are 2 options:

Keep the files of the account on the computer Or delete files. It sounds as if you chose the second option, which deleted your wife's files when you deleted the account.

Keep files would have deleted the account, but the files would have been kept on the computer. These files could have been moved to new accounts for your wife.

You might be able to recover the files with recovery software. Since I have no experience with recovery software, someone else can recommend programs for you to try.

The HP owner account is set up as a default account by HP. I've successfully deleted the owner account in the past-and have no clue why it still shows on your system if you deleted it.

Are you sure it gives you those options when you are in control userpasswords2 ??
In the regular control panel user settings and you delete the account it gives you the option that you are speaking of, not sure if it works the same way in control userpasswords2.

However, by default on HP computers... the user account HP_Owner, HP Owner, or Owner are the default user accounts on the machine. The default administrator account is called one of those names. Regardless of if the account is called "Mom" or "Sally" etc it still will show the folder as HP Owner. I bet you erased the account thinking it was a different account because it was control userpasswords2 instead of the regular user control panel. Nevertheless it seems that data is missing and you need to recover it. I have had good luck with Power Data Recovery however I have never used another tool besides the Seagate commercial tool that I use at work. I have had great luck with both. I am sure there are other good ones out there.

Somebody please correct me about the control userpasswords2 not giving the option to delete the files or keep the files? I may be wrong but I do not want to test it on my machine :thumbsup:

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:53 PM

Posted 04 January 2009 - 08:53 AM

If you cannot access the files in Windows Explorer, you may be getting the Access Denied error. To fix this, you'll have to take ownership of the files. Here's an article on how to do it: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/42756/how-to-fix-an-access-denied-errors/
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 Tehsplink

Tehsplink

• Members
  • 120 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:53 PM

Posted 04 January 2009 - 08:56 AM

a good tool for file recovery is Recuva. I believe you can download it at recuva.com (Or you can google it).

its made by Pirisoft who also make CCleaner and Defraggler
Please PM me if i have been assisting you and do not reply for 24 hours!

#6 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 04 January 2009 - 01:30 PM

mrdave, I created an account I called Test and made it password protected.
I then followed the procedure you went through-rebooted into safe mode, logged in on my account.
Ran control userpasswords2
When accounts screen opened, I noticed several options. One was REMOVE, the other Reset Password.
I chose to Remove the test account. After it was removed, a reboot, then a quick check for any files for Test.
I found the files still on the computer. The path to get to the files:

Open My Computer.
Drive C/Documents and Settings.
Under docs and settings Test folder still exists.
Have you used this process to see if the files are still on your computer?

You said you deleted the accounts. Did you use the Remove setting in 'control userpasswords2'?

#7 Gstick

Gstick

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:53 PM

Posted 04 January 2009 - 01:44 PM

Are you sure it gives you those options when you are in control userpasswords2 ??
In the regular control panel user settings and you delete the account it gives you the option that you are speaking of, not sure if it works the same way in control userpasswords2.

However, by default on HP computers... the user account HP_Owner, HP Owner, or Owner are the default user accounts on the machine. The default administrator account is called one of those names. Regardless of if the account is called "Mom" or "Sally" etc it still will show the folder as HP Owner. I bet you erased the account thinking it was a different account because it was control userpasswords2 instead of the regular user control panel. Nevertheless it seems that data is missing and you need to recover it. I have had good luck with Power Data Recovery however I have never used another tool besides the Seagate commercial tool that I use at work. I have had great luck with both. I am sure there are other good ones out there.

Somebody please correct me about the control userpasswords2 not giving the option to delete the files or keep the files? I may be wrong but I do not want to test it on my machine :thumbsup:

Are you sure? I am on an HP computer, and it came with two administrators: HP_Administrator and Administrator (the default hidden one)

What he is saying seems like: 1. HP_Default (whatever came with it) + Administrator 2. Created account for himself. 3. Created 2 other accounts, 1 who is Admin. 4. Deleted 4 accounts, leaving only the default hidden Administrator account.

"I'm not dumb. I just have a command of thoroughly useless information."

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,084 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2009 - 01:49 PM

I believe that HP installs a user account for future troubleshooting/control purposes...and the Owner account is the normal XP account for the actual system administrator.

I've seen both on HP systems...and I am reminded that MS.NET does this same sort of thing when installed on a system.

Louis

#9 mrdave100

mrdave100
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2009 - 05:15 PM

Thank you everyone. I took ownership of the folder and everything was there. Thanks!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users