Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Freezing/ Restarting Randomly - Real Challenge

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 goochmonster

goochmonster

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:07 PM

Posted 03 January 2009 - 10:22 PM

Well after having my old system stolen after a break in during the day in our home, i purchased a whole new system on newegg.com part by part. When it came in i quickly put it together and had it up. I found out the $50 antec cooler fan i had bought was defected and made my CPU and board temps high, but after i put the stock cpu fan in; temps were good and normalized.

now onto my problem, my computer will randomly freeze (also loops any audio playing) and sometimes just straight up shutdown (black screens) and restarts (the sudden shutdowns are something i found after switching to XP pro 64-bit). I originally thought it was a vista (drivers or compatibility) issue since its still very buggy, but after switching to XP i found the problem still persists. It actually froze twice during XP installation :thumbsup: . This leads me to believe its a hardware issue. NOTHING HAD BEEN OVERCLOCKED.

I have checked and done tests on the memory, Hard drives, processor, and Video Card. All seem to be okay. System is fresh and clean install, so no chance really of malicious software. All parts are brandnew system is as follows:

Power Supply: OCZ Gaming Stream Power Suppy 700W

Processor: Intel Core 2 Quead Q8200 @ 2.33Ghz

RAM: 4GB RAM DDR3 OCZ (System Memory 4096 MB (DDR3-1066 DDR3 SDRAM)

Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GTX/9800 GTX+ (512 MB)

Hard Drive: 2x Hitachi HDP725050GLA SCSI Disk Device (465 GB)

Motherboard :EVGA E179 (2 PCI, 2 PCI-E x1, 3 PCI-E x16, 4 DDR3 DIMM, Audio, Dual Gigabit LAN, IEEE-1394)

Case: Thermaltake Armor MX

OS: Have Tried Vista 64-bit and now trying Win XP 64-bit atm. Does not seem to be particularly the OS, but seems to happen less often on XP (may be just luck as it seems random)

Like i said before, no signs of overheating with the processor and motherboard, but i placed a big industrial fan on the side and removed the glass side case just to be safe, has not had a problem for several hours now. But then again it seems random when it happens :flowers:

Update: Seems like when i enter World of Warcraft after a few mins, its will shutdown (blackscreen) and then restart. Freezes still happen randomly though.

Also it seems every time a freeze happens or auto shutdown the follow occurs under System in Event log:

Posted Image

or

Posted Image

Event Type: Error
Event Source: DCOM
Event Category: None
Event ID: 10016
Date: Date
Time: Time
User: NT AUTHORITY\LOCAL SERVICE

The link to the Microsoft Support Page for this specific error: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/899965

i doubt this is what is causing my problems though :/
thanks again

Edited by goochmonster, 03 January 2009 - 10:53 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:07 AM

Posted 04 January 2009 - 01:07 AM

Maybe your video card is overheating?

You can check your system temperatures with SpeedFan, which should give you an indication of whether your system is running too hot.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 goochmonster

goochmonster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2009 - 02:04 AM

hi, thanks for quick reply. Apparently it seems my 4 cores in cpu are running hot but overall its not?! System also appears to be running hot (what part of the comp does it take this reading from?) here is the results:

Posted Image

don't understand how its running so hot in cores and system, there is 3 fans inside comp, and i have a big industrial fan blowing in on side, as well as my ceiling fan on full blast. BIOS reports CPU temp to be good as well as motherboard.

Another thing i saw is that my 12v is only pumping out 4.86V?!

I just don't understand how it can be so hot, im running fail safe defaults and nothing is overclocked.

EDIT: also just noticed its not showing reading on AUX fan, but its there and going full blast.

Edited by goochmonster, 04 January 2009 - 02:09 AM.

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2009 - 02:36 AM

SpeedFan can be a little screwy at times.

Try SIW. Go to Sensors under Hardware.

Also, change the recovery settings and Disable Automatic Rebooting, right-click on My Computer and select Properties > Advanced tab. Under "Startup and Recovery", click on the "Settings" button and go to "System failure". Make sure that "Write an event to the system log" is checked and that "Automatically restart" is unchecked. Click "OK" and reboot for the changes to take effect. Next time your computer crashes, if you get an error message, copy down the entire message (including all the numbers) and post it back here.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 lowtek_otc

lowtek_otc

• Members
  • 280 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2009 - 02:40 AM

Try testing your Memory with Memtest86+. Memory can easily cause restarts.

Also be sure to disable automatic restart as Budapest has explained above ^^

Edited by lowtek_otc, 04 January 2009 - 02:41 AM.

#6 goochmonster

goochmonster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2009 - 03:08 AM

SIW is showing simmilar readings. Disabled automatic restart, "write an event to the system log" was already enabled. Going to restart and wait for another crash, ill try to open WoW and stress it a bit, but nothing i would not usually do.

here is the SIW temps:
Posted Image

@Lowtek, ill be sure to try that and report back asap

thanks again so much guys for the help, you guys are life savers.

#7 goochmonster

goochmonster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2009 - 03:26 AM

okay so as soon as i restarted it froze during the little Win XP logo login thing with the bar at the bottom, then i had to manually restart. Then i got into the OS (the Welcome screen did not show up, just was black. same thing had happened in Vista with the glowing orb not showing up sometimes when i log in) and then it almost immediate restarted, same thing happened again, and the 3rd time it restarted after me being inside the OS for maybe a minute tops. 4th time it did not do it as i am writing this now lol! no errors or numbers popped up immediately. Still have same Error though in system log every time it black screens and restarts.

here is the event log again:
Posted Image

same error as before,

Event Type: Error
Event Source: DCOM
Event Category: None
Event ID: 10016
Date: Date
Time: Time
User: NT AUTHORITY\LOCAL SERVICE

The link to the Microsoft Support Page for this specific error: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/899965

here the Recovery settings:
Posted Image

#8 goochmonster

goochmonster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2009 - 03:28 AM

another side note: i never had this black screen/ shutdown problem with Vista, just the freezing.

#9 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2009 - 03:51 AM

Check your devices in Device Manager (Start > Run > type "devmgmt.msc" (without the quotes) and press Enter). Look for any "!", "?" or "X" symbols.

—George Bernard Shaw

#10 goochmonster

goochmonster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2009 - 09:56 AM

Check your devices in Device Manager (Start > Run > type "devmgmt.msc" (without the quotes) and press Enter). Look for any "!", "?" or "X" symbols.

one of the first things i checked, everything is fine.

#11 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,089 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:07 PM

Posted 04 January 2009 - 12:12 PM

Are there any errors in the Application log file around this time?
Have you searched your registry for the string: 555F3418-D99E-4E51-800A-6E89CFD8B1D7
What device does it tell you it's associated with?

The Microsoft article cited with your error message describes how to fix this error by changing permissions in the registry. My searches of the Internet find that it's most commonly associated with 3rd party firewall products (but that's not all that it is).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,248 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2009 - 01:19 PM

Seems relevant, http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=899965#appliesto

If this is included in another link provided previously, pardon my redundancy :thumbsup:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users