Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internal HD is failing, needs replacing ASAP

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 RknRusty

RknRusty

• Members
  • 396 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:25 AM

Posted 03 January 2009 - 09:06 PM

I'm running Windows XP SP3 on an emachines T6410 (Gateway) with 1 GB RAM.
My hard drive has been making a clicking sound, especially during the first 15 minutes after starting up cold. I took it out and held it in my hand just to make sure the noise was actually the drive, and it is pretty obvious, because most of the clicks correspond with the HD activity LED.

It is a hitachi model HDS722516VLAT20. I Googled that number and got this info about it: Hitachi Deskstar 7K250 Hard Drive - 14R9247, 160GB - 7200rpm - Ultra ATA/100 (ATA-6) - IDE/EIDE.

I plan to buy a new one as soon as I can get to a store. I looked at a few online and there are, of course, many types. Some are SATA, and some are Ultra ATA.
Question 1.) Since mine is an Ultra ATA/100, does that mean I have to replace it with an Ultra ATA/100, or would an Ultra ATA/133 or an SATA work? I'm not sure what all of that means. Best Buy has two drives; one is a Western Digital 320GB Ultra ATA/133 for $68. The other is a WD 160 GB Ultra ATA/100 for $60. I would really like the larger drive, but I don't know if it will work since it's a 133 and not a 100 like my old one

Question 2.) If I install the new drive temporarily as a slave and install Norton Ghost on the old drive, can I make my new drive identical to the old one without re-installing anything? If so, I may buy a copy of Ghost or something comparable.

Question 3.) I also plan to partition it so that I can have a backup bootable Windows XP in case of an OS failure. Can anyone tell me what size partition I'll need for that backup OS?

Thanks,
Rusty

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,673 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:25 AM

Posted 03 January 2009 - 10:26 PM

Congratulations, sounds like you've got a DeathStar... :thumbsup:

According to some specifications I found:

http://reviews.cnet.com/desktops/emachines...7-31466283.html
and the illustrations in the maintenance guide:

http://downloads.emachines.com/userguides/...s_HW_ref_en.pdf

the system has one ATA100 controller and one SATA150 (SATA I) controller, so it looks like you should be able to fit either IDE (ATA) or SATA drive. An ATA133 drive will work fine on an ATA100 port, it just limits its speed to ATA100. Most SATA drives are now SATA300 (SATA II), and will also work on a SATA150 port, some adjust themselves, some have a jumper to set them back to SATA150 speed.

Further resources for that model here:

http://www.emachines.com/support/product_s...amp;model=T6410

By temporarily fitting the new drive, you can use suitable software to "clone" the current drive (as long as it lasts). Ghost or Acronis TrueImage are the two most commonly used - I use Acronis. Most hard drive manufacturers provide software to do this, so you should not need to purchase unless you want to.

I use mostly Seagate drives, and they provide DiskWizard and if you get a WD drive you can use Data LifeGuard.

The simplest way to have a restorable backup in case of OS corruption is to use the drive management software provided to create a backup image, and have a bootable CD or DVD to restore the image if there's a problem. I have all my systems backed up this way, using the Seagate DiskWizard, which is a limited edition of Acronis TI.

Edited by Platypus, 03 January 2009 - 10:28 PM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 Schwinnstingray1964

Schwinnstingray1964

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:25 AM

Posted 03 January 2009 - 10:46 PM

I Am running a Quantum FireBall and i havent had any problems in the year ive been using it.

I also found that a external 1TB drive rocks pretty hard. Its easy to sync to, its easy to work on, and no IDE cable!

Externals rock.
::'00 Thinkpad:::'09 Aspire One:::'07 WL1:::'10 SS2::

If its got two B's its for me. BlackBerry for ever.

"The problem is not that we have too many fools, it's that the lightning isn't distributed right."

--White Lightning 1 & The Silver Surfer 2-- Anybody for TF2???

#4 RknRusty

RknRusty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 396 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2009 - 10:12 AM

Thanks Platypus and Schwinn, that's the kind of response I needed. Hopefully I'll have a new drive spinning by tonight. I'll post back with what I bought and how it went.

#5 Schwinnstingray1964

Schwinnstingray1964

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2009 - 11:18 AM

Thanks Platypus and Schwinn, that's the kind of response I needed. Hopefully I'll have a new drive spinning by tonight. I'll post back with what I bought and how it went.

Tight, what brand did you go with.

"The problem is not that we have too many fools, it's that the lightning isn't distributed right."

#6 RknRusty

RknRusty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 396 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2009 - 12:49 PM

Haven't picked one yet, but the ones that Best Buy has that are in my price range are WD and Seagate. I've heard bad things about every brand, but the only one I'm ruling out is Hitachi, which is the one that's failing now. Looks like an SATA will plug right in.

Right now I'm trying to figure out (more like fretting) what proceedure to follow to save my old data and set up the new drive. Like whether to do a clean install and reload tons of software, only to spend forever reconfiguring it to suit my needs, or ghost the old drive to a dvd (if that can be done???) and restore it that way... how to partition the new drive, yadayadayada.

#7 Schwinnstingray1964

Schwinnstingray1964

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2009 - 12:57 PM

Jsut add a clean (Formatted) Hard drive as your slave, and copy-paste everything from one to the other.

Then replace busted hard drive with said "Clean" Hard Drive.

Voila, New HD.

#8 Schwinnstingray1964

Schwinnstingray1964

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2009 - 12:58 PM

Maxtor makes good stuff, ive got two of them.

one 70gb.

And one 1000Gb.

Quantum is my other one. Its alright.

#9 RknRusty

RknRusty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 396 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2009 - 10:43 PM

I bought a Western Digital 320GB SATA. When I got it home, I plugged in the data cable into one of the 4 SATA sockets, but it needed a different power plug which my power supply did not have. I called Best Buy and they didn't supply a power adapter, and neither did anyone else I called. So I took it back and got the old WD Ultra ATA-100 and put it in. I'm trying to figure out how to configure it now. That question is posted in the XP forum. http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/192358/creating-partitions-prior-to-installing-xp-on-a-new-drive/

#10 RknRusty

RknRusty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 396 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2009 - 12:27 AM

The new Western Digital drive runs like a dream. I can't believe how much faster it is. I haven't seen this much improvement since I doubled my RAM. I used the trial version of Acronis and cloned my old drive. I can't believe that really works. It does. :>

#11 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,673 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:25 AM

Posted 05 January 2009 - 01:47 AM

Glad it worked for you. It's a very good idea to have a couple of copies of an image of your drive (or system partition) too, and bootable media to recover if there's ever a sudden disaster with your new drive. One would hope it never happens, but...

Top 5 things that never get done:

#12 starcraftmaster

starcraftmaster

• Members
  • 1,109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:25 AM

Posted 05 January 2009 - 08:27 AM

Quantum FireBall are good since i bought a packard bell in year 2000 and its still working its 20gb but it still works good

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users