Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Blocked connection to Inet on both IE6 and Firefox 3

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Ann Stough

Ann Stough

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:37 PM

Posted 03 January 2009 - 08:49 PM

First, thanks for any assistance.

I am trying to help my mom with her laptop. XP SP 3 with IE 6. Everything was fine until a Windows update today blocked her internet. I don't think she had antivirus running but she mentioned that she installed a TrendMicro product which didn't help, so she removed it.

After this windows update her IE stopped working. I downloaded Firefox on another computer and installed on her laptop but it won't load either. The internet connection is working because I can ping from a command prompt.

I downloaded and installed Malwarebytes along with the manual updates and let it run. It found one file, a Hijack this log.

I am completely stumped, I hope someone can help.

Ann

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Ann Stough

Ann Stough
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2009 - 09:12 PM

Want to provide an update that I am able to get both browsers to work in Safe Mode with networking. I am attempting to run A/V software but not confident that it updated definitions.

#3 Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 03 January 2009 - 09:47 PM

It is hard to pinpoint the exact trouble you may have.

Please do the following: Get event IDs to help identify the problem. How to Check the Application Event Log for Errors.

As you follow the tutorial, please disclose the following information: Event ID and Description of the error. Notice that in the Level column, it will display either 'Information' or 'Warning' or 'Error'. I need IDs of 'Error' only.

#4 Ann Stough

Ann Stough
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2009 - 10:41 PM

Hello Jay, thanks for taking a look.

In the log there are 12 entries of Event 11 on 12/31 of the following message. Otherwise there's a couple errors for app hangs on Outlook.

Failed extract of third-party root list from auto update cab at:
<http://www.download.windowsupdate.com/msdownload/update/v3/static/trustedr/en/authrootstl.cab> with error:
The data is invalid

then it points to the help and support center.

Ann

Edited by Ann Stough, 03 January 2009 - 10:42 PM.

#5 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2009 - 02:54 PM

Please reboot the computer
Open MBAM and click Update tab, select Check for Updates,when done
click Scanner tab,select FULL scan
After scan click Remove Selected, Post new scan log for review
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#6 Ann Stough

Ann Stough
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:37 AM

Posted 05 January 2009 - 09:00 PM

After some more messing around I've discovered my issue has something to do with XP Service Pack 3. If it's removed,the browsers operate fine, with it installed the browsers don't work.

I will begin my journey into Microsoft Hell and again appreciate all the responses and thoughts.

Best Wishes,
Ann

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users