Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

just a question

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 hometech

hometech

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:29 AM

Posted 03 January 2009 - 08:29 PM

i was just wondering what is the oldest machine that anyone has that is running xp? i have a 1996 ibm pc300 233mhz 384mb ram 4gb hdd that runs xp just fine{of course i had to fiddle with settings but nothing much} i also have a 99 dell 500mhz with dos 6.22 on it plus win 3.11 plus win98se plus xp pro just when i want to play in the past. but i digress, anyone else have xp on a dinosaur?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Schwinnstingray1964

Schwinnstingray1964

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2009 - 01:03 PM

i was just wondering what is the oldest machine that anyone has that is running xp? i have a 1996 ibm pc300 233mhz 384mb ram 4gb hdd that runs xp just fine{of course i had to fiddle with settings but nothing much} i also have a 99 dell 500mhz with dos 6.22 on it plus win 3.11 plus win98se plus xp pro just when i want to play in the past. but i digress, anyone else have xp on a dinosaur?

Haha

Windows 98 emachines.

Xp Home edition, no flaws.

I bought this thing in like 99.
::'00 Thinkpad:::'09 Aspire One:::'07 WL1:::'10 SS2::

If its got two B's its for me. BlackBerry for ever.

"The problem is not that we have too many fools, it's that the lightning isn't distributed right."

--White Lightning 1 & The Silver Surfer 2-- Anybody for TF2???

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:29 AM

Posted 04 January 2009 - 02:43 PM

I got a Tandy Color Computer somewhere in the basement
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2009 - 07:17 PM

I just setup a system with windows xp SP2. 460mhz celeron processor, 128mb of ram, 2gb hard drive.

It's parts from an old compaq that I put into a smaller hp case. The hard drive is from a computer built in 97, and the fans wouldn't screw into this case so I had to wire them up with dental floss :flowers: .The on button from the old case didn't fit into the new one, so I taped it to the outside. I named the computer Frankenstein of course :thumbsup:. It's working great though, but I haven't put any programs on it yet. It runs faster than I expected it to.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#5 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,250 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:29 AM

Posted 08 January 2009 - 03:25 PM

Here's an interesting experiment someone did:

http://winhistory.de/more/386/xpmini_eng.htm

They eventually got down to a Pentium I processor running at 20MHz and just 32MB or RAM!

#6 DnDer

DnDer

• Members
  • 646 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2009 - 05:11 PM

I want to build an old high-end 95 machine, but can't seem to find parts. What would be a good used system to look for getting, that was top of the line before 98 was introduced? Probably be cheaper to buy a whole, old box, than try to find piecemeal parts, I'm thinking...

Specifically: I haven't been able to play Myst, 7th Guest, 11th Hour, Under a Killing Moon, Pandora Directive, etc... ever since 98SE came out. I miss playing them and I want to again. I haven't been able to get them to work inside XP, which I was once told had the backward compatibility to do that...

#7 funnytim

funnytim

• Members
  • 624 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2009 - 02:54 AM

I want to build an old high-end 95 machine, but can't seem to find parts. What would be a good used system to look for getting, that was top of the line before 98 was introduced? Probably be cheaper to buy a whole, old box, than try to find piecemeal parts, I'm thinking...

Specifically: I haven't been able to play Myst, 7th Guest, 11th Hour, Under a Killing Moon, Pandora Directive, etc... ever since 98SE came out. I miss playing them and I want to again. I haven't been able to get them to work inside XP, which I was once told had the backward compatibility to do that...

Have you tried running in compatibility mode?

Another option is to consider using Virtual PC , or setting up a dual boot system. That way you won't have to spend any money on it.

#8 DnDer

DnDer

• Members
  • 646 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2009 - 10:28 AM

Well, my problem has always been with the drivers. Apparently, when I upgraded to 98SE way back when... the drivers, or maybe just the hardware itself, was too new (?) to be recognized by games that still wanted you to pick DMAs and IRQs.

If I understand using a VM correctly (I've only used the tool once, ever) you're just running the old OS, but using the same hardware and drivers. Wouldn't a VM (or even a dual boot) still be using hardware that's too good to run this old software on?

Trying to get something to be backwards compatible always gets me confused. =\

#9 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,250 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2009 - 02:18 PM

A virtual machine is just that: virtual. It creates a virtual computer, hardware and all, which runs as an application on your real computer. As far as I know, the only real limitations as to virtual hardware is that it can't pretend to have a processor of a different architecture than your physical one. i.e. a VM running on a real x86 processor can't emulate a motorola or PowerPC processor.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_machine

#10 DnDer

DnDer

• Members
  • 646 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2009 - 03:15 PM

Reading that still has me confused.

"Each virtual machine can run any operating system supported by the underlying hardware." But, for example, my underlying hardware (for example a Creative Labs Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer PCI Sound Card) is too advanced to support Windows 95 - it's drivers are only for XP and Vista.

I read, and understand, that a VM can fake a processor, but it can fake RAM, Video and Sound, too? Even fake a slower CD-ROM, if need be? But I'd need a type 2 hypervisor to do it? All I need is something like VMWare to pull this off?

Sorry... I'm having a "stupid day."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users