Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Rundll32.exe is not working?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Lrobinson6

Lrobinson6

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:07 AM

Posted 03 January 2009 - 08:15 PM

I tried all those registry cleaners that say they are free, and then to fix the problem it cost. I've restored my computer twice. once in safe mode once not. I can't access a lot of stuff like my security center and other important components. In the system32 folder in my C: drive rundll32.exe is there but it doesn't look the same as the one in my D: drive system 32. How can I get it back.
Please help thanks in advance.

Edited by Lrobinson6, 03 January 2009 - 08:32 PM.

Heeyyyy Yoooouuu Guuuyyyss!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:07 AM

Posted 04 January 2009 - 07:54 AM

First, we can go on for days telling you why registry cleaners are no good and that they can damage your system. But here's a link that explains it: http://www.windowsbbs.com/showthread.php?t=61015

How have you restored your computer? Have you used System Restore or some other process/procedure?
What are the properties of Rundll32.exe in your C:\Windows\System32 directory - and what are the properties of the one in the D:\WIndows\System32 directory? (it's not unusual for them to be different - but the one in C: should be the same as or newer than the one in D:)
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Lrobinson6

Lrobinson6
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:07 AM

Posted 04 January 2009 - 04:33 PM

Hello usasma,

thank you for helping. I used system restore, I don't have a disk my computer came with vista on it. The runddl32.exe in the C: drive System32, it's properties are empty under the details/general tab. It just has the size and the date modified. The one in the D: drive System32 has the file description-Windows host process and all the other information like: type, file, version, product name, product version, copyright, and so on. all of that is there and it just looks legit compared to the the other one. When I try to open my security center it pops open the black CMD box for like a second and then closes. No error message just that.
Heeyyyy Yoooouuu Guuuyyyss!

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:07 AM

Posted 05 January 2009 - 08:45 PM

Most times it's not rundll32.exe that's the problem, but rather it's an infected DLL file using the rundll32.exe process to launch itself.
You can submit the questionable rundll32.exe to http://virusscan.jotti.org to see if it is infected.

Also, here's a link with a bunch of free, online scans that you can try. There's instructions on what to do at the bottom of it: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/blogs/usas...?showentry=1252
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users